Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing top roller on a 312B

Shovelworks ยท 2021-07-02 13:15

I don't think this is too complicated but I need to replace one of the top rollers on my 312. 8JR01751 is the serial number. I have the new one but it is not obvious how it mounts. It is raining pretty good here so not interested in going to the machine and try to figure it out. I'm hoping someone is familiar and can clue me in. Thanks in advance. Jeff

Replies6
  1. #1Shovelworks2021-07-02 16:27

    I took the set screw out but is there something else holding it in or is it just frozen in there?

  2. #2CatKC2021-07-03 07:58

    Once the retaining bolts are off you'll likely need to hook a chain on it and the boom to pull it off as it won't come off easy. Use a heavy steel rod to push the new one on, centering it on the dimple in the middle of the new roller. I assume you have the track raised and supported way above the roller. It's a one man job but without help it will take a little getting in and out of the cab lining up the rod to push it back on. Did both of mine that way.

  3. #3BigWrench552021-07-03 08:26

    Does the top roller mount have a split with a through bolt where the roller shaft goes through? If so then get a chisle and wedge it open. Then drive out the roller.

  4. #4Vetech632021-07-03 08:33

    Same thing I do........easy peasy!

  5. #5CatKC2021-07-03 08:34

    Yep. Forgot about that. It might make it a little easier to come off if you can open it. Didn't help much on mine but then I'm a lightweight with heavy tools. Leverage and hydraulics are my strength.

  6. #6John C.2021-07-03 11:55

    I have broken off good chisels pounding then into the slot. On the roller stands with a split, I remove the bolt completely and clean out the slot and use a tap on the threads from the opposite side of the stand. Then I put a piece of thin sheet steel in the slot, put the bolt in from the opposite side and just push the slot open with the bolt. Makes it real easy to R&R the roller.