hvy: The Tundra Bears are put together at Cruz Construction’s Shop in Palmer and Franklin Bluffs Alaska. The owner Dave Cruz dreamed these up. I believe they have 6 running now and 2 more planned. Everything is on quick couplers since we use the same trucks as Ejectors in Civil Division during the spring & summer. I was in the shop today servicing the loader I was plowing with and they are just completing the fourth 730 Cat Water Truck conversion. It leaves for the North Slope on Monday. I will get more pictures on my next tour, I fly back on the 19th.
Same Trucks in Summer 08 This is how we use them the other half of the year.
Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it. I was wondering what those trucks do the rest of the year. I should have figured out using them as ejector trucks. What is the truck rated for hauling and are the trailers built for that purpose or converted? Is it just me or are those sleepers off of Paccar trucks? Thanks for enduring the 20 questions.
Now thats what I call a conversion :yup and can swap it back for muckshift at the end of the season :notworthy
So what is the "sleeper" used for. Obviously the winch is in the bottom, but is the rest tool storage or something else?
Well since these trucks are used as long range lowboys, i bet there for sleeping. I really like the way the ratchet binders are held under the sleeper, could you get a couple more pics?
those are sweet trucks....can we get more pics
Very interesting, thanks for posting Randy. Are the 5th wheel beds one "unit" bolted to the bare frame of the artic to make the swap to ejector body easier?
If it is a sleeper, then getting out and into the cab, would be mighty cold since there is no heated path. Better wear the footie PJs...
These drivers are not regulated since most of their hauling is on Ice roads over the tundra. So they run long hours and sleep when they have to. Many times they arrive at a Drill/Camp Pad with a load and the camp is full, so after they get off loaded they jump in their sleeper for a few hours. They also haul lots of groceries and small machine parts in the sleepers. In regards to the T Bear Beds: the whole bed, sleeper, winch and 5th wheel is all one unit, which uses the same mounts and pins as the Ejector body. Takes about 6-10 hours to switch them. The beds were designed by Cruz and it was a joint venture building them with Lennox in Canada. Cruz's shop is actually building 2 for another company right now. In regards to the Stiegers running beside the Ice road: The majority of these iceroads are over tundra. When they cross the rivers and lakes they do have to get on the iceroad and many times spinout. That's why they have winches on all these Stiegers. They un pin run out their line and winch the sleds ahead, once they get back on shore they pin back up.
Thanks Randy, very very good info thank you :notworthy :drinkup
Thats a sweet setup. i would have thought that the ratchet binders would get iced up in that spot but i guess if that works then it works. I thought those were paccar sleepers too but after looking at them further they appear to be completely custom. Paccar doesn't use those corner caps or the T handle style latches for the doors.