I acquired a peterbilt dump truck with 24.5 tires/rims. The truck sat this past winter and has two flat tires, one inside and one outside dual on the passenger side. The tires are tubeless and beads are completely unseated. How would I go about reseating the beads and airing up the tires? Could I jack the truck up to take weight off the tires and wrap a chain and binder around the tire then air it up? Or use a heavy duty ratchet strap? Thanks for any suggestions. Pat
First thing to try jack it up, put some soapy water around bead if you dont have mounting compound. Hook full flow air fitting and hit tyre with a sledge hammer. I would not recommend using aerosol cans or the like.
Air bead cannon and big shop air on the fitting. If you don't have those, jack it up and get the wheels off. More likely to seat off than on the truck. Call a tire man and bring them to him, or have him come fix them if you don't know what you are doing. And like cliffy said, don't light it up. You can really get hurt.
I dismount them, inspect them, figure out why the air fell out in the first place, fix the leak, mount with the Murphy’s, put them in a cage, hit them with the Cheeeta, inflate. Purchase new wheels, new tires as needed. Or, I have a guy for that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about sketchy. I’m the king of sketchy town. Call Kenny Logins, because I am the danger zone. But, I don’t screw around with tires. But, you do you, caribou.
Welcome to HEF, Yerg7981. Good to have you. Tell us more about your Pete after you get the tires fixed. Let’s see some pictures. I bet that girl can haul the mail!
This is my old Pete. I called her Tangerine. Corporate called her T-603 on the spreadsheet, but I called her Miss Tangerine. We tore up the Dalton. All you could see was her muddy tail lights. She was made to haul and She towed it all. But, we parted ways. Nowadays, She’s up in the patch pulling fuel wagons to the pads. Never going over 25 MPH. Kinda sad. .
I always just drove the good tire on a block of wood then did the ole spray starting fluid in the flat and hit it with a map gas torch. Some people say don't do that, but when you're miles away from anything you do what ya got to do. Just don't be a dumba$$ about it and end up on youtube. Then you can get somewhere to get the tire fixed.
I bet she kicks her legs at night, like a dog having a dream. Just thinking of you and her on the open road.....
Aluminum wheels? Probably need a wire wheel taken to them around the bead. They are bad about corrosion. Jack the truck up, air cannon and you should be good if it’s leaking around the beads. It Stays stashed on the farm. Melted 6 pistons last fall during harvest. I out of framed it last winter, now has steel pistons, more fuel and lots of fun. Love 359s, and definitely love a hot kitty in them.
She’s beautiful, Mr. Screamincat.
Thanks
If you work with tires you need to get a recapper plug to fit your air quick connects. Straight through air, way more air than any tire chuck. I don't have a bead blaster yet, but the recapper plug and a separate 1/2" air line with a blow pipe has gotten most of them while still mounted.