I am trying to get my dozer started and the temp has dropped to 15F. I plugged in the block heater, waited an hour and no temp rise. Measured the resistance across it and I get ~100k ohms. I have a 2nd one in a 580ck that measures 60k Ohms. Based on the assumption of them being 400w and 115v I calculated 33ohms. Does anyone have a good one they can measure? TIA
I measured 57ohms on the block heater on our 580B. The only other thing you can check with those heaters is to see if it not the cord itself causing a connection issue.
Thanks for the info. I pulled the cord off and measured right at the pins. Looks like I have 2 bad ones I am not even going to try starting it until I have a new one.
400 watts is not a very good block heater. 1000 should be the minimum. IMHO.
Any idea where to get a 1k watt? All the ones I have found so far say 400 watt
Almost all auto parts and farm supply stores have have them. You will need to know the size of the hole is in your block. Here is an example.
Generally block heaters are less watts than tank heaters. If a factory block heater was 400 watts, I don't think you'd have to upgrade to 1000 watts, maybe 600-750 watts. Most heater manufacturers have specific heaters for specific engines. I would think coolant capacity would play a role and also how much coolant is directly around the element. The block heater on my Kubota fits in the head and has a slight bend in it and it's very important it is installed in the right orientation. Block heaters don't have thermostats, they are always on when plugged in. Could the element get too hot it doesn't have enough liquid surrounding it??? I'm pretty sure you can buy block heater testers.
The other option if you want to upgrade is to get an "external" heater, one that you plumb into the block using rubber hoses.
Not 100% accurate: https://phillipsandtemro.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018-Zerostart-Temro-Catalog.pdf Start reading at about page 89. And page 42 should show the heater for the 188D, which they list as the 400 watt model. Guess it all depends on how fast you need to warm up the engine and how cold it is where it is parked. One advantage of using a thermostat in the system is you can leave it plugged in all the time and not worry about over heating. that catalog also has some other options for different applications that might be of interest to others!
Well thanks for all the info. I searched locally and no one had one with 3/8 threads so I ordered one from my local case dealer. Supposed to have it tomorrow