Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“Restoring” a 310D – wear and rust

hellspcangel911 · 2015-07-27 18:57

Hi All, I bought a 310D last year with about 5,500 hours on it. IT was purchased from the original owner who had it as his 'small' machine in his work fleet. The machine has a lot of rust but the engine is solid and major repairs have been completed. Ive done the water pump, replaced the missing or clogged grease zerks (more on that later), replaced ALL the fluids and oils and started trying to stop the rust from spreading. Currently I am about the remove the seat so I can start working on the floor pan which has holes in it. I think I will have to just cut it out, put in reinforcement beams then new 1/4" thick plate. I bought a Amulet Hoe Clamp and since that requires removing the pins to install it, I thought it was a good time to replace the back hoe bucket pins and bushings. The largest (and most expensive) pin that goes through the hydraulic ram was seized. Despite torching and hammering it I had to cut it - luckily my portable bandsaw made quick work of that. Using a stick welder and a hammer as suggest by the gurus on this board, I was able to get the old bushings out. New bushings went in easily enough after sitting overnight in the freezer and using a press from AutoZone. The new replacement pin has a grease fitting on it with individual grooves for each contact point. Now the problem: I have a lot of slop in the swing tower to boom pins/bushings . After lots of searching it looks like the swing tower did not come with any bushings (would have been #8 on the pic below of a 310C). So while I can replace the boom's bushings and both pins, it wouldnt help the swing tower's hole from getting more and more worn. I understang one option is getting it line bored and welding in a bushing. But thats a lot of $$ for a farm property backhoe. Is it worth replacing the other bushings and pins or leave the whole thing as it is? Thanks in advance!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2015-07-27 21:38

    For me, it would be much cheaper to take the swing tower to a machinist to bore it out and make or find bushings to fit the new pin. No welding needed most likely. Of course you probably want to tighten up all the pins and bushings when you have that whole thing apart and that will get expensive.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-07-27 22:42

    There's a lot of meat there, line bore it and put bigger pins in.

  3. #3Jonas3022015-07-27 23:01

    That pin is not supposed to move is why there was no bushing there it probably seized on the inside bushings and started moving put new bushings in or get the old ones freed up set it up nice and strait and weld the pin to the bore filling the gap while locking it together No its not the right perfect way but its a way for a farm machine

  4. #4hellspcangel9112015-07-27 23:58

    Thanks for the replies. I really don't want to take it out and bring it to a machinist. Knowing myself I will end up replacing the rest of the pins and bushings and that will become very costly. I like the suggestion to replace the other bushings and pins and then weld up the gap. Would JB Weld work? How about those expanding pins?

  5. #5hosspuller2015-07-28 00:34

    Something is not quite right. That doesn't look like the original pin. I just bought those very same pins & bushing for a 310C. p/n T125914 The pin diameter is 1.500 inches. Check the diameter of your pin If the diameter is correct. There are special compounds to fill the bore. I doubt JB weld can take the pressure. A larger pin will require the bushings on the boom to be changed accordingly. Another NQR ... The parts diagram you posted isn't the same as your picture. The swing tower has 4 flanges and the boom has two. The parts diagram is reversed.

  6. #6Tinkerer2015-07-28 08:09

    If the inner holes are worn as badly as the outer holes I don't think welding a new pin in place is the best option. But if that is what you choose to do consider getting A pin long enough to go all the way through the assembly. I am curious as to what the boom bushings look like - if there is anything left of them.

  7. #7hellspcangel9112015-07-28 14:37

    Correct, these are the actual diagrams for my machine: From what I can see the bushings on the boom are ok. When I bought the machine not only were the grease zerks on the pins missing but the bolt securing the pin was sheared off as well. So the pin has just been hammering out the swing frame. looks like the best option is to replace the bushings and the pins, then look into the compounds to fill the gap. Any suggestions on the compounds? my local Deere dealer isnt the most useful.. i end up ordering parts from Green Farm Parts thanks!

  8. #8hellspcangel9112015-07-28 18:17

    and a picture of the floor I' m dealing with

  9. #9hosspuller2015-07-28 19:30

    While I doubt JB Weld will stand the stress, This material #1111 from Belzona seems to be designed for the repair on the swing frame. Contact Belzona for best information. http://www.belzona.com/en/applications/mechanical.aspx

  10. #10hellspcangel9112015-07-28 20:34

    Thanks for the info, I will reach out to them. Should be easier to deal with than welding.

  11. #11hosspuller2015-07-28 21:04

    Here's a Belzona video rebuilding the bore on heavy equipment..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRtrg1Q8y0Q

  12. #12jimg9842015-07-30 11:11

    amazing stuff