Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Restoring a D9G

CastleBuilder · 2024-11-08 00:17

Hi everyone my name is Noah I’m new here and new to heavy equipment but I thought who better to tell than you guys that I bought a 1973 D9G. It’s been quite the adventure already when it showed up with both tracks having way too much slack (feet not inches) and both batteries having apparently been “removed from the dozer by the seller after loading onto the trailer, after the track came off while trying to get it on the trailer” at least they had to get it back on to get it on and ship it to me, but took me 4 hours and a lot of friends called to get cat batteries to get it going (it welded the terminals into off the biggest commercial Napa batteries I could get last minute after it showed up as a 110K Lb dead paperweight on a specialized trailer charging me $ by the hour). After we got it running (needed to use ether) we got it 20 feet up the driveway before the left track came off, got it remounted with my 1995 E120B and expanded the tracks with grease, got it up my hill pushed over a load or two of gravel and found they had re slacked, the left one completely, the right one less so but noticeably. I found ejected grease all over the fittings of both, the more slacked track had a tubes worth sitting by the fitting. Replaced the fitting and pumped several tubes in, found a puddle of grease I’d just pumped in under the cylinder about a foot back from where the grease port is. Next step I suppose will be taking the panels off and inspecting the cylinder and springs and possibly resealing (hopefully don’t need to remove the cylinder or replace the springs, sounds expensive and hard). Also having trouble getting it started (cranks but lots of white smoke on startup and usually needs extra electric juice + ether) so have new plugs ordered at cat and going to clean out the air intake. I put on new fuel filters yesterday and got a service manual (didn’t have diesel on hand to prime the filters and didn’t honestly know I was supposed to again I’m new to this, so will need to drain air I think and prime according to manual.

Replies56
  1. #1.RC.2024-11-08 01:19

    Someone got the most out of that undercarriage.

  2. #2Old Doug2024-11-08 07:03

    What are your plans ? They are not good toys.

  3. #3Oxbow2024-11-08 07:44

    My neighbor Jpaydirt on YouTube has numerous videos about maintaining and operating his D9s. Might be worth a look!

  4. #4Oxbow2024-11-08 07:48
  5. #5CM19952024-11-08 10:38

    Welcome to the Forums CB! Glad to have you. This should be an interesting and very expensive thread.

  6. #6Shimmy12024-11-08 20:59

    Hope you got it for free.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2024-11-09 07:52

    about $50,000 in undercarriage and you should get a start on it

  8. #8Old Doug2024-11-09 08:59

    I have often thought about buying a old Dozer to do a project or two around the farm. If it would stay together long enough to get stuff done it would be ok but if not it wouldn't be worth wild . My Dad had one for a short time when I was 6yr. He told me once it was the only thing he ever lost money on .

  9. #956wrench2024-11-09 09:00

    You got anybody to help with the heavy lifting on anything you take apart? First, you’ll probably have to split the tracks to repair the grease leaking from the adjusters unless its the fill valves

  10. #10Shimmy12024-11-09 09:06

    I would guess $30k might buy aftermarket.

  11. #11CM19952024-11-09 09:58

    Doubt it. $40-50K if it's a total rebuild. Back in 2020 I had my 953C UC done - sprocket segments, idler seals, rails, pads, idlers, top and bottom rollers. Bill was just shy of $27K. Now that was for Cat parts at a 15% discount (running special at that time) but we're talking about a D9 - that's a big ol' boy aftermarket pricing or not.

  12. #12chidog2024-11-09 20:35

    I just want to know what it cost? I'd like one too, but would never want that one. Only OROPS and 4 BBL ripper for me, missed out on top maintained D9H a year ago or so for the 25K range. Had no idea about the sale.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2024-11-09 20:55

    I enjoyed Jpaydirt's series on his. IIRC he rebuilt one crane and bought another one for parts mainly for the UC job. Bought new rails with pads from some forgotten place in the midwest. New idlers, rollers, lots of thread repair. A couple of newish 1" drive guns for the project and also for testing/future use. Also had to dig out his already existing 100 ton press to do a final drive seal. Also discovered a bent axle that still needs repair. Cylinders resealed. Engine does not run all that great according to him, of course he has 1 or 2 spare units waiting for rebuild or to be used for parts. The list goes on and on and the dollars go up and up, he gets several large jobs per year and also has the lowboy to move it around. Years ago I was looking at an old Cat and my grandfather told me not to do it, glad I listened to him although I would have more interesting stories to tell if I did it.

  14. #14Cliffy2024-11-10 06:40

    Sorry mate, what ever you paid you got ripped off. She is a big old dinosaur. What ever you put into it wont increase its valve. First off, you cutting edge is being held on by hopes and dreams. Looks like they put a new edge on it to sell but lower blade is worn away. The fact you need either to start and blows white smoke, says the engine is low on compression. Rippers (or winch) was removed. Bolt missing from ROPS. Your entire undercarriage is worn out. Google images of new tracks and compare them to what you have. Just remember, not everything that goes to the auction is junk, but all junk goes to the auction.

  15. #15LCA0782024-11-10 20:46

    The only advice I can offer is to take a break from spending any more money right now and tell this group exactly what you want to do with your new machine. This group is the best group to inform you of how much $$$ you're going to throw into your dozer to accomplish your task. You can make a decision from there.

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-11-11 04:41

    Of all the potential dozers to try and resurrect a D9G isn't even on the list for most people. However, some have been resurrected at great cost. Quiring Towing on Highway thru Hell has 2 D9G's. At least 1 was brought back to life but not sure what all it needed. It may have just been parked for a long time but not completely worn out. Also don't know how long it took to get operational. They are both winch Cat's so likely forestry machines. He says they are the finest dozer Cat made.

  17. #1756wrench2024-11-11 08:44

    A lot of people would debate that. Not a good all round dozer. D8’s were better

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-11-11 18:50

    He was probably referring to just plain grunt and built strong since he uses them as winch Cats. I think the winches are 40 or maybe 45 ton capacity and he'll use snatch blocks as well. I remember 1 episode where some idiot was telling him to not use the winches but pull with the dozers. He asked if the guy had ever used a winch Cat before because using the winch gives about 30% more pull. They were using 2 D9G's as well as another smaller dozer (D6?) to pull 2 stuck excavators out of a water filled peat bog. He designed a special pulling block rated for 120 tons that allowed for 3 tow cables to be attached. I think it weighed over 70lbs. I'm not sure but there might be a video on his D9's. Edit. Now I remember the block he built weighed 110lbs.

  19. #19Camshawn2024-11-11 21:15

    Quiring winchcat on utube

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-11-11 21:16

    I wasn't sure if there's a video of fixing up a D9G.

  21. #21LCA0782024-11-12 09:53

    I hope we didn't run off CastleBuilder as he's gonna need help. He was excited to post here about his new toy but then hasn't returned after stones were tossed at his decision.

  22. #22Junkyard2024-11-12 11:08

    Agreed. Some of this is so familiar to us I think we throw it out at the indoctrinated like duh how’d you not know that? It’s an ambitious project and hell guys restoring cars spend as much and have as little to show in most cases. To each his own. Heck I’d take one of those old girls just to have!

  23. #23Junkyard2024-11-12 15:19

    I meant to say un-indoctrinated lol. Noticed it too late to edit.

  24. #24LCA0782024-11-12 15:26

    The thing is we ALL start out as the un-indoctrinated and in the un-educated group. Most of the time we move out of that group because we learn and grow. Some of those even move onto being experts (like a lot of regular contributors here on HEF). We owe a little bit back to new un-indoctrinated when they come in to fill in the gaps we left as we move up. And yes, I'm impressed with how much the experts give back to the un-indoctrinated here on HEF. It's a very generous forum that stands out compared to a lot of the other forums I'm on.

  25. #25Georgia Iron2024-11-12 20:59

    This might help

  26. #26Welder Dave2024-11-12 22:10

    I'm not sure the guy above is using the torque wrench correctly. He's pushing it past when it clicks. I always thought you carefully apply pressure until it clicks and don't go past that. On some things you can go back and double check the torque but still only till it clicks/deflects.

  27. #27chidog2024-11-12 22:30

    Its sometimes very funny watching those towing shows when it comes to stuck heavy equipment. I didn't watch this one, but I've seen some where an excavator was stuck in some mud, and all the mess that was gone through using a tow truck to get it out. I could have got it out with both tracks off using just the excavator, as I've been there done that before, oh and yeah bring the tracks with me as well.

  28. #28Welder Dave2024-11-12 22:58

    Quiring is well known for equipment recovery. On one excavator recovery they had to take the final drives apart so the tracks would roll on the logs placed at 90 deg's. to the peat bog it was in. The biggest excavator recoveries the excavators were flooded and couldn't be started. On one they had to take the hyd. lines off so the stick could be raised. The bucket was digging in.

  29. #29chidog2024-11-13 03:03

    The ones I'm talking about the engine would run as would everything else on the machine.

  30. #30Welder Dave2024-11-13 03:24

    The 2 large excavators he pulled out of the water filled peat bog couldn't be started. It's got to be a lot of pull to stand 2 D9G's on their back end.

  31. #31Dave Neubert2024-11-13 08:31

    never saw anyone oiling the head gaskets and hope they put the front head on the front and the rear on the rear. ask me how I know bout this

  32. #32Mcrafty12024-11-14 05:12

    I feel for you, just the undercarriage and the engine overhaul I believe you need...is going to run you in the $80,000 grand range...you may want to rethink your business model and cut your losses now. jmho

  33. #33chidog2024-11-14 21:25

    When I saw the title I just thought it was a big hobby deal not a business. The OP just 1 post and poof. Hope he didn't get squished under it.

  34. #34CastleBuilder2024-11-15 00:14

    Hey everyone thanks for all the replies I wasn’t expecting to find these forums so active and I’m glad to see it. The undercarriage is definitely a mess, I paid about 20K for the machine and I’m getting parts from a guy down south with a D9G in much better shape (minus an issue with a steering clutch). He offered me the tracks with chains for 10K or the whole machine for 20K, will definitely post some pictures here before pulling the trigger on anything. I’ll also include more pictures of my undercarriage like rollers and sprockets and cylinders when we get the panels off. I replaced the fuel filters, and I have a mechanic putting in new plugs and lines for me, got to prime it and clean out the air intake and see how it does starting then, hopefully it’s not as I’ve heard it called an ether queen / lost compression issue. Got my 1995 E120B I bought earlier this year running well to deal with lifting off the panels etc, and I lurked some old threads here and elsewhere with some creative ideas on tension cylinder repairs without needing to break the tracks. Will def leave that to the pros as I know those springs can be insanely dangerous. As for the use case for this giant lunk of 70s steel I have about 80 acres all one giant hill I’m planning to level out multiple sites on, it’s clay heavy soils so vibratory compaction is less effective vs static hence my decision to go for such a heavy machine (that plus incredibly unbridled impulsiveness and eyes bigger than my wrenches). I got quoted 15K for each 50x50 area leveled and graded, which I anticipate needing a minimum of 5-6 of. If I want to go further into my idea of making the property like a stepped mountain (think rice fields in China) with larger leveled area I’m sure the price would balloon beyond belief. The dozer itselfs cost I covered by doing my own half mile driveway 16 feet wide up the hill with rental equipment, although the D9 pushed over the last 6 20 ton loads of gravel so it technically helped a small % before once again loosing track compression. Either way I was looking at buying a black water contracting MRAP for sale out of South Jersey Classics a few years back and this D9s cheaper although I’ll need a better undercarriage for it to be my bug out vehicle (just kidding). I appreciate all the advice and am vividly aware of how nuts this is, maybe a fresh coat of paint on the D9 will fix all my problems or at least the fumes will make them feel more manageable (kidding again). Appreciate everyone’s advice and interest, I’ll be sure to check back in with updates soon. PS, as the name implies, the land clearing is so I can build a castle for my wife and I, here’s a picture of the legos I’ve got to get started.

  35. #35OTG AuGres2024-11-15 07:58

    You’ve peaked my interest. Costs nothing to follow. Good luck!

  36. #36TCat2024-11-15 08:55

    Pics of the repairs as you go along please. Also if the machine down south has a good engine, tranny, finals, etc. that matches yours, the entire thing might be a good purchase. Heck might be easier and cheaper to fix that one and use yours for the spare. Just sayin’…..

  37. #37kenworth2024-11-15 10:43

    Please keep us updated on your dozer repair project and your earthmoving project.

  38. #38chidog2024-11-17 16:46

    The mentioned cost of tracks, I think it was either the late 80's, early 90's I got some real good looking with some life left D9 tracks from the local Cat dealer for $500. Yeah the good old days. I'm guessing 5k maybe more lbs per side. For the track adjusters no need to play with the recoil springs if memory is correct. But if you do I heard storys of them flying through shop walls.

  39. #39nicky 68a2024-11-22 01:10

    Castlebuilder,I admire your sense of humour and readiness to pour vast quantities of money into that tractor just to get it into a condition where it will do what you require without breaking down after every hour or two. It’s not for me to speculate how much money you are happy to sink into it,but be prepared to quantify it in the tens of thousands. You’re about $20k into it so far.You could get away with the bare minimum of just trackgroups and segments which could be $30k at best plus a few hundred to repair the leaking track adjusters (if luck is on your side). You’ll also need to become friendly with a local fitter that’s experienced in old Cat equipment and have some sort of pension fund to pay his bills with. As for the condition and reliability of the powertrain,only time will tell and I wish you well with it. Although it has CAT stamped onto the hood,your D9 is most definitely what we Brit’s like to call a dog. I hope you keep moving the project forward and it doesn’t become an abandoned garden ornament,large amounts of money is your friend here. Good luck and keep us posted please.

  40. #40nicky 68a2024-11-22 01:13

    On a different note,the seller who removed the batteries after loading it onto the trailer is the sort of chap I would not **** on if he was burning,infact,I’d happily throw the two D9 batteries onto his burning face.

  41. #41CM19952024-11-22 09:28

    FWIW - Clay can and is compacted by vibration as well as static weight. We do it all the time with a 533E vibratory roller. A Cat CS533E is around 24-25K lbs depending on configuration so not very heavy. Just in case the D9 doesn't work out. On a curious building note what are you using the mafia blocks for? Retainer wall?

  42. #42TCat2024-11-22 13:23

    Are they called "Mafia Blocks" because people get cast inside of them, or because people get chained to them and dropped in the ocean?

  43. #43Tinkerer2024-11-22 13:37

    I have some mafia blocks as a retaining wall. That's all they are good for. IMO. The concrete company I got them from makes them out of concrete that wasn't used at a delivery. Not only is it old concrete that is already curing but it may have a lot of water added to it to keep from getting to stiff.

  44. #44Mquinista2024-11-22 13:47

    Quite odd this member decision, Buying something that is scrap grade(from the looks), to work some hours with it, and in a size that´s no way maneageable by one person. But anyway he´s not here for advice on what he did , but on how to restore it to work condition. The track adjuster is the major concern, but he can get away with an cheap and easy fix, certainly the G´s already have the recoil spring loaded by a grease filled jack, that is easy fix. Get the jack out and sleve the piston, and throw a new retainer in. The rails where the idler runs certainly need atention, weld them staright, that thing is to worn out and replace rails, forguet they were made to use brass slides. Use slides made out of pads, and recover the rails using same, that steel on steel will work. Track chains can be used untill they brake apart, due to wear, as long as they stay in place. from the looks of it bottom rollers might be worn out to scrap condition, but untill they turn same as the chains... the track pads got almost no grousers but that might be a god thing... as long as he don´t mind to work in dry conditions only. Engine is always the least of concerns, that machine will stop certainly by GB problems or Cluch/Brake packs. Certainly the G is already wet frictions for both clutching and braking. Looking at strainers and filters would help ascertain the condition of GB+ Clutch / Brake packs. thing is in a D9 is a huge task even if it was an L. Anyway our friend need also advice on the particulars of digging with a dozer, does not matter wich size the dozer is, once u dig half metter on the ground , there´snt much u can do with the blade only... so a ripper system is a must, and in some clay´s, specially clay with sand in it, its hard as rock. Maybe the second G´ still has a ripper in, despite it has clutch problems it might be in best recoverable condition.... usually thats what some fella do, make 1 out of 2... Good luck in your project.

  45. #45CM19952024-11-22 17:35

    Both?

  46. #46Welder Dave2024-11-22 18:09

    They're referred to as Lego Blocks as well. I wish I could find some cheap. I need about 325' of them to make a spectator barrier for the oval track.

  47. #47TCat2024-11-23 10:23

    Could you use dirt filled tires?

  48. #48Welder Dave2024-11-24 02:37

    It has to be something that will hold back the heaviest car. Tires I can get free. I already have a few hundred but the problem with tires is cars could bounce off them back onto the track causing more accidents. The concrete blocks are about 4000lbs. so don't move too easily.

  49. #49LCA0782024-11-24 08:52

    Have you looked into Hesco barriers?

  50. #50Tinkerer2024-11-24 11:41

    Maybe you could pour a concrete wall ? Pour it in sections. Less form expense and it wouldn't be a big expense immediately compared to the entire 325 feet at once.

  51. #51Welder Dave2024-11-24 20:51

    I don't know if pouring a concrete wall would be cheaper. The track is at least an hour away from a concrete plant. The nice thing with the blocks is they can be moved if necessary. First thing that has to happen is I need a commitment from the cars guys to help build a facility to put events on. There's no way I can do it all myself.

  52. #52balls2go2024-11-25 07:53

    Great job of high jacking this thread.

  53. #53Welder Dave2024-11-25 16:59

    How was the thread hijacked? The blocks were brought up in the context of the thread.

  54. #54CM19952024-11-25 20:14

    Hijacking is the HEF way sometimes and leads into some interesting threads throughout the years. From time to time I'm not too bad at it myself.

  55. #55Tinkerer2024-11-26 08:15

    I thought that hi-jacking a thread is when someone butts into a thread and completely changes the OP's subject. This particular thread went slowly off-topic. It happens all the time . IMHO.

  56. #56Welder Dave2024-11-26 17:07

    It's very common for other things to come up in the context of a thread. Sometimes they make the thread very entertaining. That's why it's always good to have popcorn ready.