I took this image last year in a Hazleton Pa. coal mine.
Sad as it is, I'm surprised it didn't go to the scraper a couple years ago, when prices where fairly high. Anymore pictures?
Looks like an original 25K. Has to be at least 40 years old, maybe closer to 50.
Wow they sure were tiny back then when compared to the loaders they produce today!
with air in the tires, it'll look bigger lol
I thought that was just a model for So. Cal. built for the low rider crowd! Does bring back memories of one just like that the company had at another quarry not far from ours. I was sent over there one day to inspect the engine as apparently the boss at that plant did not believe the Cat dealer's mechanic that it had a broken crank! For get the details but I removed some cover at the back of the engine, maybe for timing bolt access?, and had one guy watch there while I had another guy watching the front of the engine while I turned that end. I believe I had them then switch places and again showed that the front of crank moved several degrees before the flywheel moved! Talked to service manager from dealer a couple moths latter and more or less apologized for being called out to trouble shoot something they had already done. He said no problem they can spend their money any way the like. The dealer did end up with the job replacing the crank, not sure if it had done any other damage or if they determined the cause. Just checked old files and that one was a 25K0531
https://ccmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Cat-992B-Wheel-Loader-specs.pdf
75 tons.
They've gone up in power to match the increase in size/weight. A 25K machine I think was somewhere around 550BHP, the current generation of 992 is a hair over 800. Also they load bigger trucks. I'm sure the truck on the link to the specs is a 773, nowadays a new-model 992 can load anything up to a 785 which is three times the capacity of a 773.
I saw them loading 777 a lot way back when. One of the coal mines I worked at had 773B and we loaded them with 988B and WA600 wheel loaders.
We had those old 992's at a quarry I managed back in the 80's. They were big machines at the time, and we loaded 35 ton and 50 ton rock trucks with them. Oh the good old days.