Greetings from Michigan. I'm a 25+ year active duty guy that's retiring from the Coast Guard the end of this April. Other than some skid steer experience and training, I've got no experience in the industry. I do, however, have the GI Bill, and am considering attending two schools, in hopes of making myself marketable in the field. The first school I would take is commercial drivers training, to earn my Class A license. It's a 4 week school and I'd end up licensed to drive anything. The next school I would take is one of two heavy equipment operator schools. One is 3 weeks long...the other is a 5 week long course (links to each training are below). I'd like to know if you think these licenses and certifications would help landing a job as an operator. I've checked the local union and there's no apprentice program open right now, unfortunately. Here's the courses... 3 week course... http://runmonstermachines.com/ 5 week course... http://www.aistraining.com/operator Thank you so much for reading all this and for any insight you can provide. Andy
Are you native to Michigan?
I am. Born and raised in Traverse City.
https://www.helmetstohardhats.org/
Thanks for the link...already registered on there, and submitting a resume soon. Wondering about the schools/training/licenses I mentioned, however, and the impact (if any) they have on someone new to the industry that's seeking employment.
I have a question. I am currently in Hawaii visiting some friends who are active duty. They were talking to me about civilian contractors who are their equipment operators. Have you looked Into this? Sounds pretty interesting to me But you maybe wanting to get out of the whole lifestyle
Well shoot. Was hoping someone here had some input.
Here's the standard advice you can find on a thousand other posts here if you just look in the search section. People get tired of answering the same questions every week so they somestimes don't respond. Get any job you can as a laborer with an outfit with equipment. Show up every day and on time, work your butt off and do a good job, learn all you can and you will probably eventually get a chance to run equipment. Probably just what you don't want to hear, but most contractors don't let unknown folks on their high dollar equipment before they prove they are reputable and won't tear ot up or destroy something around them. If you are not set on having to live in Michigan ask the operators Business Agent where they do need apprentices and you can get in on the helmets to hardhats program. Go until you become a journeyman. After you get your journeyman card you can go to any local you want and get on the list.
hey Andy im from Saginaw Michigan my name is mitch. Im a retire from operating engineers local 324 go to our web site operating engineers local 324 .org or . com at the top of the page in the heading it will say careers click on that then scroll down to another heading which says brilliant minds wear had hats click on that and you will see where its says active and retiring military personal and click on that and then the rest is up to you hope this helps and I salute you and your family for protecting our freedoms mitch
Hey Andy its mitch again you can contact our main office in bloomfield hills Michigan at 248-451-0324 or call the grayling office at 989-348-2250
Thanks for being so direct...that's what I'm used to in my day to day life. I hate people that pussy-foot around the damn answers. I appreciate your reply and have started calling around to some local excavator/contractors in my area. I completely understand about not wanting people damaging their equipment (or other people!) due to lack of seat time! Unfortunately, my 2 boys (who are with my ex 75% of the time) will be keeping me in Michigan. Thanks for your honest reply, I appreciate it!
Mitch, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I just checked out the website and have made a few phone calls. I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction!
A class A CDL is always a plus there is a huge shortage of truck drivers in this country ten's of thousand's and it's only getting worse. unless something changes drastically in 20-30 years truck drivers will be making as much or more than doctors and lawyers. Fully agree with what old-iron-habit said if you show up every day don't cry about every little thing take pride in your work you won't have to worry about having work and will get noticed and paid well
im glad I could help out and get that cdl that's a plus to for operators let us know what happens with the union mitch
I can't offer any advise, just wanted to thank you for 25+ years of service. Rick
Similar situation as you Andy. Just got out and looking for something new. Got my CDL and I'm finding that no matter what your military experience, we're starting at the bottom of every and anything that isn't military related. If you want to go be a contractor or a DOD Civilian, you might start out closer to where you are now. "Career Change" pretty much means, I've learned in the past six months, that you are going to start out getting paid like any other entry level guy. BUT, the good news is that people are so desperate for quality personnel that if you show up sober and on time for six months, you're going to be halfway to VP. If you hung in there for 25, you can suck it up for a year and then write your own ticket. The first year is going to be humbling.
There are things in construction and site work in general that you pick up over the years that you would be expected to know that you will not find in books and your employer could not be expected to hold your hand to be sure that they are done properly although many employers would gladly hold your hand if they knew that you did not know them......whew......soooo....the only way to learn them is to do it for many years.A simple thing for example is the respect you have for green asphalt.Ahaha......so you have never seen green asphalt?That is asphalt that has not cured after being placed,it is not hard yet so you do not drive or even push a wheelbarrow over green curb.Just simple things like that.The green thing is just what we all call fresh asphalt.It takes years to pick up all the things that you will be expected to know. I have a thread in here containing many pics of my tour in Germany as an heavy equipment operator/low bed driver.I should have stayed in too.Good luck.Ron G