Good evening. What are you guys using to see while backing up in older Machines without rear backing systems? Thanks
Yair . . . Mirrors used to be simple . . . but somehow now they're not. My latest ute (pickup) has mirrors that seem to have no depth of field and I find it difficult to judge how far I am from any given object. This maybe a function of age but I dunno, it's annoying and disconcerting. On a similar note . . . mirrors used to just be piece of fancy glass mounted in a tube frame. You adjusted them by hand and wiped them with a rag. An acquaintance had a mirror wiped out by a kangaroo. To replace it with all the wiring harness for tilt and trim and, indicator and demisting was just shy of a thousand bucks. Dunno. Maybe a back up system would be a better way to go? Cheers.
We bought generic wireless backup camera kits for a few of ours. When I put them in I just removed the inside mirror and mounted the screen in its place. Screen was powered by 12 volt cigarette lighter so I just routed the wiring neatly along the roof to the outlet. The camera unit just needed power and ground. What I did was just splice into the connector for the rear lights since they wanted them constantly powered. Could also splice into reverse lights or backup alarm so it only actuates in reverse. Pretty simple to install. Did 2 units in about 4-6 hours IIRC. That's including fabricating a small bracket to mount the screen to the rearview mirror mount on the ROPS.
I like mirrors better, a lot better we put a rear view from the windshield of a junk car in the bobcat use them and lots of other mirrors in all the equipment it really helps knowing what comes behind you before you hit reverse Of course some machines have no rear visibility then your stuck with a camera
xxxx
Hmmm, that's an interesting idea using a backup camera on a skid. $25-$50 on ebay. Even with mirrors you still can't see behind the skid. At least I can't. Thanks for the suggestion.
I used to laugh at back up.cameras when they first came out but I'll have to admit I love them now. I put a wired back up cam in my truck and it's amazing how easy it is the back up to my trailer in pitch black night and put the ball under the receiver every time. Also backing up in trails and on dark back roads is so easy. No worries about backing in the ditch. Im putting in a camera in my gehl 5635 soon. The visibility and lack of neck twisting makes back up cams an no brained for me. A close second is a mirror. If you are going to buy a back up camera I recommend a wired unit. The wireless ones I've seen can suffer from electrical interference and or a slight delay. My wired unit was like $65 and works like a charm.
this is what i see in my car
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has had issues with engine heat slowly destroying the back up camera? I am looking to put one on my T300 and the obvious spot is the top of the door or the cover for the cooling system/muff.
... or issues ripping it off of the bottom area?
I installed several on skid steers, wired is a lot better than wireless. Mounted them on the rear hood, heat is not a problem. Wired them so they are on all the time.
So I have not gotten to put it to real use yet, but i discovered that the mount for the camera actually fits on the back door using pre-existing holes. It sits just a few inches below the reverse alarm and I was able to run the cable int the rubber ring for said alarm. it was like it was designed for it honestly.
i put a wired 1 on my ctl and then took my mirror off and thru it out, the camera shows a lot more than the mirror. and it is on all of the time , i demoed a machine that had a camera that was on only in reverse and it drove me nuts flashing on and off every time you changed direction
I installed a hard wired multi camera kit on my 1845C. Not being a traind professional operator I find it very helpful when operating in close quarter
I love the back up cameras myself but I still use the mirror on occasion, just an idea but you can get a RAM mount to fit the screen that gives you more options on where and how you mount it. I’ve used them in several different situations.
Which kit did you end up using on your T300? I have a T300 I'd like to do this on! Are you happy with it still?