Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

reversing fan on a 68 D7E

texaschad25 ยท 2016-07-09 00:21

I bought a set of manuals for my D7E, but I'm waiting for the pony express to deliver. In the meantime, I've been running this machine and the airflow is blowing backwards, sucking air towards the engine. Can someone give me the Cliffs notes version of how to reverse these blades so that it pushes the air out through the front. With the heat index in Texas being near 110 for the past several days, I feel like I've been riding on a torch with a rosebud tip. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2016-07-09 02:20

    If it does have the reversible fan, each blade has to be pushed inward toward the center of the hub, then rotated until it will snap back out and lock. If it's been a while, penetrating oil at least will be required. CAT makes a tool that goes through a hole in the side of the nose, it has a block on the end that's slotted to fit over the edge of the blade, but it can be done by hand usually with some leather gloves. A small soft faced dead blow hammer may help to loosen up the blades if they're stubborn. Make sure they actually lock in place, probably have to wiggle them good to ensure they come out all the way to the stop.

  2. #2texaschad252016-07-09 08:01

    Ok thanks! I'm headed out now and will try it when I get there.

  3. #3kshansen2016-07-09 09:46

    And also make sure you don't miss one blade! Had that happen on a loader years ago. one blade turned in the wrong direction will cause an overheat problem even in a cooler area that yours. Didn't see it in Lantraxco's description but there should be a hole maybe 1 1/2 inch diameter in the side of the radiator shroud that is lined up with the fan blades to get access to the end of the blade to tap it in. Found a picture of the Service tool, it can be done with out it but the tool saves removing any of the guards.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-07-09 16:05

    That's the newfangled version, lol... They work great if the blades are not stuck, I have seen some ugly blade end damage caused by hamhanded loggers trying to force things. And yeah, got to make sure all the blades are one way or the other!

  5. #5td15c2016-07-09 19:03

    I have seen them stuck so bad you have to remove the fan and drive the roll pins out that hold the blades to the hub. then drive the blades out of the hub. then clean everything up to get them to work. when they work right you can turn them by hand. I use mine all the time to clean the junk out of the radiator when it starts to run to warm. its easier then dragging out the portable air compressor to blow the radiator out.

  6. #6texaschad252016-07-10 20:59

    Well... i attempted to turn the blades but they wouldn't move. It seems like they are very secure to the fan hub. I'll try some PB blaster and some light taps from a rubber mallet and see what happens.

  7. #7td25c2016-07-10 21:40

    That's been my experience as well . Generally locked up tight & have to remove fan hub to free it all up . We had the radiator out of the TD25 one time & that was a handy time to free up the reversing fan hub as we could easily get to it to heat & hammer . Ours has a sheet metal cover to remove so you can get to the innards of the fan hub . If I had it to do over again I would have packed the hub full of grease and that would cure the problem .