Hello all, Im considering buying a backhoe sometime within the next year or so to start a side business and have to play with (childhood dream). I am a Cat lover at heart, partially because I work for Cat but also that I get to drive our near new 416E's, 420E, and 430E IT's on site and absolutely love em. Problem is that the cheapest E's Ive found are $40k plus, not that I wouldnt mind an older D but I suppose my work spoils me a bit. Another thing I like about Cats are 2-stick and excavator controls are the standard. I haven't driven a newer case than a 580K and that was years ago as well so Im unfamiliar how the 580L's and 590L's stack up. What really attracts me to Case is that these were the backhoes I grew up loving as a kid and the body style is relatively unchanged from K to M (N's look a bit different to me and of course are way too expensive). Im also finding 580L's extremely affordable compared to Cat, anywhere between $16k-$25k for a really good looking machine with reasonable hours. A couple of them are 2-stickers as well which is what I want. So with that in mind, how do you guys like the 580 and 590L's. What years should I shoot for and what problems (if any) do they have. Also what is the differences between a 580L to say a 580L Series II or 580 Super L? My only goals would be to obtain a tight, reliable machine in 2-stick controls with 4x4 (extend-a-hoe would be great but not 100% mandatory). Another question, what does ROPS/EROPS stand for? Never figured it out. :/
Only thing I can help with is erops means enclosed cab. Orops means open cab
Thanks bud! Makes sense now.
Roll over protection
Thanks Bill! Can anyone tell me the cons (if any) with the 580L's and 590L's? Which model to shoot for standard, Series II, Super L)?
Spent a couple of hours reading some past threads and L's seem to be pretty straight machines. I did notice alot of transmission related and charge pump threads, are they commonly problematic? Also is this mostly on standard L's, Super L's, Series II.
The charge pump issue was dealt with early in those transmission's production run. There was a pup program that replaced pumps in certain SN ranges and a different pipe plug installed behind the filter. I suspect that many dealers did not do the updates as the trans/reverser had to be dropped to access the trans pump. Early L series had mods done to the brake system requiring new pedals and revamped geometry with more leverage against the master cylinder piston for a more positive brake action. Obviously units not updated would be at risk. If one suspects the charge pump you only have to cut the trans filter apart as the filter is in the high pressure circuit right off the pump. If there is charge pump failure you won't have to guess, the filter will be full of shrapnel. The L and Super L are different in a lot of ways mostly in Pump flows and I would guess engine HP and weight. The 590 series are vastly superior for heavy duty digging with larger cylinders, wider rear wheel stance, wider stabilizer stance for stability and increased hydraulic capacity. They are built on the same platform so handling ability does not suffer a lot.
I believe the L and Super L Case hoes to be the best of that age. They were far better than the Cats of the day. I had nothing but good service from my 580 Super L 4X4. The only trouble I recall was a front planetary failure when one crew ran constantly in 4 wheel drive even on the road, and it was roaded a lot. I can't comment on the 2 stick version except to say they are available, but rare in my experience. I learned on Case controls, so even the Cat hoes we had came that way. Case was a strong and fast digging machine, and the valving of the L gives a "feel" that the newer pilot control machines will never have. The L series improved on some weaknesses of the K, like the rear diff, the frame/fuel tank, and the loader arms. All of these areas were beefed up, the diff by the addition of planetary hubs on the rear axle to reduce stress, the fuel tank was a stand alone tank, at the expense of a toolbox, and the loader arms were much improved. If I needed a backhoe again, I would look for a well cared for Case L series.
Awesome, thanks melben and Jerry! So which version of the L would you look for first? Standard L, Super L, Series 2? I dont have to have the biggest and baddest machine out there but Id like a hoe that can tackle on just about any project. Like I mentioned 4x4 is a must but an extendahoe isnt (although Ill be looking for one equipped with). Also is there a way to find out if the updates have been done? Or what about shooting for a specific year to ensure? Ive been looking at alot of '98+ units and kind of wanted to stay '98 or newer.
In my opinion the best of the 580's would be the 2001 and newer SL's (turbo) with 3000 or less hours if you can find one. One option you haven't mentioned but will sooner or later regret not getting is the 4n1 front loader. You'd be amazed at how useful it becomes once you learn to use it. As for the controls, Case took wobble sticks off a SK I bought and put Case controls on for $150, which included the controls. Try to find a machine with good brakes and decent tires. The rear tires will set you back about $1500, fronts aren't quite as bad depending on 4wd or 2wd. As for brakes, make sure they are good because it's an ordeal to change them. Check you hydraulic cylinders for cracks, repairs, leaks or sticking. Especially check the boom because it isn't weldable. There's a lot more to watch out for but this and what other information you've read is a start. Oh, and depending on the work you have, try to keep the rpm's at about 2000, you'll use about 13 gallons of fuel a day and still have good working hydraulic flow. Another thing you'll like about Case is that when you have a hammer or compaction wheel on the rear it won't wheelie all over the job like the Cat does. But don't ride a compaction wheel like the tractors a bucking bronco, when you see that on a job you know one thing - the backhoe doesn't belong to the operator. Hope this helps.
If a listing says ROPS or EROPS, it means it has a canopy over the seat rather than an enclosed cab...something to think about if you're looking for a cab or not. I think Super L's are turbocharged, whereas the L's are not. The turbocharged models add about 20 HP, which can really come in handy. My experience has been on a 4 stick with 4WD, e-hoe and a 4-in-1 bucket. The 4WD, e-hoe and 4-in-1 are mandatory in my opinion. All of them are very useful. I would much rather have pilot controls vs the 4 stick, but it costs a lot more. I don't believe L series had pilot controls, I think you would need an M or newer. Overall, it's a great machine, and I don't think you will be disappointed with it if you find one. Another benefit of the Case over Cat is the Case machines are considerably lighter. I believe a 420 or 426 Cat is comparable to a Super L and the Cat is about 4,000 lbs heavier. In my research, Cat's were almost ALWAYS priced higher than Case. Sometimes much higher for a lesser machine.
A 416 is a slightly bigger than a580L or SuperL . Cat and Deere are more comparable in size. That being said , a Case 580 is as good of a backhoe that was ever made. I have a 416 , and from time to time rent a 580M with pilot controls , they dig as well as the Cat or Deere. The only negative , the Case feels "dinky" after being on the Cat or Deere. Then the 590 seems more like a 410 Deere or 430 Cat. The 580M turbo seems to use more fuel as well than a 416 but maybe that's just me. Generally the 590 is a bit large for the type work we do. I'm sure a more deluxe model 580 has better seating but the rental I use feels like your riding on a 5 gallon bucket setting on a steel tube. The reason I rent the 580M , I get it for 225 a day and 675 per week. So If I'm in a pinch I can rent and still make money. Cat is about 100$ higher per week.
Thanks for all the info, bud. Ive seen alot of 580L's available in 2-stick, but I havent seen one in pilot controls yet. I definitely want a turbo model so super L seems the way to go. Thank you to everyone who answered, this information is incredibly valuable to me and I appreciate it.
I've never driven a 580SL but my friend has one. He likes the roaring speed. It goes almost as fast uphill as my Deere 310D goes downhill. The light weight and higher hp pays off on the road.
This is all pretty encouraging and I appreciate the feedback. Looks like a Case is going to be my first personal backhoe.