Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RGN renovate

Shimmy1 · 2025-01-22 11:45

I'll get some pics at some point, but ran into a snag today. We have the new junior beam for the little crossmembers, but upon further evaluation, the main cross beams in the back 15' are rotted out as well. It is 12" deep, by 3" wide M-beam according to my steel guy. Where MOD EDIT does a guy source that? My steel guy has heard of it, but never sourced it, and it is proving difficult to find. Language

Replies29
  1. #1Shimmy12025-01-22 19:33

    The trailer is a XL Specialized, 55 ton non-groundbearing RGN. I did get in touch with them, no go. Trailer is a 1997, they have no idea what they used. Called three different steel shops, either not available or they have to order a 1000' mill bundle. Finally got something workable this afternoon. Ordered 80' of 14 lb beam. We'll have to enlarge the slots a bit in the main beam, but other than that they will work.

  2. #2crane operator2025-01-22 19:48

    Sounds like fun. I've had to do some cross member repair on mine, but my main beams are good. You have a plasma cutter, or going to have to torch the holes? Better hurry up, January is almost gone, not a lot of winter left, to finish your winter projects.

  3. #3Shimmy12025-01-22 20:56

    Trucks are almost done, bellys, dozers just a little left. We'll have February to get after the tractors. Probably won't get as much as I wanted, but a guy never does. The cross beams are already pierced through the center main frames. The members alternate from a full width M-beam that goes through both main beams to the 4" junior beams that are just pierced through the mains and butt up to the side rails. We have asked a few guys, and we are not going to remove a side rail, even though that is probably the most preferred way. We will reinstall the larger beams in three sections, pushing the outside pieces through from the middle, and joining them with the third section in the middle. It is an acceptable repair from what I've been told. Probably going to have about $5k into replacement beams, plus the $2500 for decking and 2 weeks in the shop.

  4. #4Oxbow2025-01-22 21:35

    The price of new/newer lowboys will scare a guy. If you can get another five years out of it with less than 15K in cost I think you will be way ahead.

  5. #5Shimmy12025-01-22 22:16

    This trailer will be around for another 20 years. It needed this deck and cross members 12 years ago when we bought it.

  6. #6Oxbow2025-01-22 22:39

    Mine is a 96 model 50 ton Aspen. I believe that I could sell it now for as much as I purchased it in 09! It does need sandblasting and paint, but no major rust problems yet. Since Idaho went from sand/cinders with a touch of salt to this frigging brine a few years ago anything steel suffers greatly.

  7. #7Shimmy12025-01-24 00:15

    Pulled the trigger today on an Ellis 2000 miter band saw. Should be here Tuesday. On a different front, still finding cancer. Today, discovered the suspension beams for the middle axle are rotted through. This could prove a pretty good challenge because the trailer is old enough the XL can't tell us what model of Hendrickson suspension it has, and the tag with only a serial number doesn't tell Hendrickson anything. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

  8. #8Oxbow2025-01-25 01:09

    Any luck identifying those beams? I'm wondering if mine are the same, and how that might help.

  9. #9MarcusZ19672025-01-25 05:59

    Sounds like ya needed 12" Junior beam.

  10. #10Shimmy12025-01-25 09:14

    We got it figured out yesterday. The suspension is HT250U. Ordered both beams yesterday. Hendrickson is proud of those, almost $1500 each.

  11. #11crane operator2025-01-25 09:28

    My RGN trailer is a 1996 talbert tri axle, and we've reworked one of the suspension arms. But a whole redo of the suspension from the main beams on down is in my future. I'll need new pivot boxes on the main beam, and the suspension arms and bushings. I've been thinking it would be easier to just flip the trailer to weld that all on. How you like your XL? There's one that's been for sale for over a year a few hours away from me, its a side drop, rather than a flat deck, which is what I currently have and need. Its a 2011 and they want $42,000, but its rust free. If I could get $25,000 or so for mine, I'm at least part way there. A ellis has been on my wish list for a while, I just can't find a used one at a reasonable price- for what they want used, I just as well buy a new one. Also- cough cough, still waiting for pictures.....

  12. #12Shimmy12025-01-25 10:06

    I know, I keep forgetting. My wife has saved up about half of a $50k house project that she has been wanting since we moved in 13 years ago. Have been spending more time than I want here at the house to make sure the carpenters can keep moving along since it's a "as you go" type deal. I know these aren't of a rotted-out RGN, but anyway...... Closed up a window, and put in a door to get on the deck that's not built yet..... Got rid of a pocket door. To anyone that wants to do that, they are a b!tch.

  13. #13Shimmy12025-01-25 10:21

    Oh, and in case anyone wonders, that mobile home door is not what will stay there, that was just stuck in to plug the hole since it's winter lol.

  14. #14colson042025-01-25 12:37

    I installed four pocket doors for a guy on a new build addition. His framers got the main structure up and just ghosted him on finishing the interior walls. The entire time, my only thought was why the hell would anyone want these everywhere in their house?! All 3 bedrooms and a bathroom got one. Home owner was excited about it. They were a pain to frame, and I can only imagine a pain to remove.

  15. #15Truck Shop2025-01-26 08:12

    MOD EDIT From the rules: You have been warned. CM

  16. #16Shimmy12025-01-29 08:13

    Been busy on the house project, but got to the shop yesterday. Guys have quite a few of the junior beams back in, and the first of the major ones. He's going to alternate on the big ones to make sure the trailer stays square. Here you go, CO.

  17. #17Shimmy12025-01-29 08:20

    This is the first full width beam. After some extensive research and question asking, we've decided to not put any sort of fish plate or other over the seams.

  18. #18MarcusZ19672025-01-29 11:01

    @Shimmy1 looks like some good work there.

  19. #19Oxbow2025-01-29 11:33

    Quite the project! Removal of the old ones was probably as much of a task as installing the new by the looks of it. And...........I'm envious of your shop!

  20. #20crane operator2025-01-29 17:23

    Looks nice. New ellis saw have enough throat to cut the beams in one pass?

  21. #21Shimmy12025-01-29 18:29

    That's why I went with a 2000. Capability is 17" horizontal by 10" vertical. 2000 Mitre Band Saw - Ellis Mfg, Inc. Ellis 2000 Band Saw features 60° cutting both ways. Built-in Protractor for fast and accurate selection of angles. Stock remains in one position for all cuts. ellissaw.com

  22. #22Shimmy12025-02-12 00:50

    Crossmembers replaced, new wiring and airlines, decking is on.

  23. #23Shimmy12025-02-12 00:55

    Waiting for a replacement suspension beam. It has a Hendrickson HT250U suspension, the beams on the middle axle were showing signs of rusting out. Ordered both beams, turned out they sent 2 passenger side beams. Now we wait another week. They were set opposite ways on the pallet, and nobody looked close enough to see until they got to the shop.

  24. #24Oxbow2025-02-12 03:23

    Good looking job!

  25. #25crane operator2025-02-12 08:20

    Decking material looks good. But, no paint? The suspension beam being wrong gives you a extra week to get a weenie roller from walmart. The trailer gods have spoken.

  26. #26Shimmy12025-02-12 09:19

    We're not a paint booth lol. All the new welds were primed and painted. It really needs to have the entire thing sandblasted to have a decent result, and that's not going to happen. In a year or two it will all look the same. Sorry to disappoint.

  27. #27uptight excavating2025-02-12 20:34

    Great work! I follow your posts and and admire your work, I am in a very similar line of work with similar equipment,, My lowboy needs some attention alot like yours, Maybe I can bring it over the 'line' and you could rebuild it! lol

  28. #28Shimmy12025-02-13 00:08

    Might be cheaper for you to buy a new one haha

  29. #29Welder Dave2025-02-13 04:17

    Did the trailer arch stay the same after welding? I built a lot of large skids that are similar and they had to be flipped over to heat straighten out the curve after welding because they drooped down. A trailer you probably want it arched up.