Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ride Control

Deon ยท 2012-07-01 06:57

Anybody know if ride control can be added to an old machine like a Deere 310D? Seems like I would need an accumulator, solenoid valve and switch and a bit of plumbing. Is the solenoid valve a double valve for both ends of the loader boom cylinders or is it only connected to the lift side of the cylinder? Any experience here will be appreciated.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies26
  1. #1trevor b2012-07-01 13:42

    question-how does ride control work trevor b

  2. #2d4c24a2012-07-01 15:59

    mate put one on a farm loader tractor , tee on lift side of each cylinder with a manual tap with the accumulator on top , worked well with out the need for wiring etc you could possibly run pipes to one remote accumulator i guess

  3. #3Deon2012-07-01 18:56

    d4c24a, Thats quite interesting. Who is mate? Does he frequent on this forum? Where did he find and accumulator and how did he know it was the right size? Thanks. Keep sending me info.

  4. #4d9gdon2012-07-01 20:56

    I believe he's talking to you; "Hey mate, I put one on a farm tractor loader, etc. " He'll be back to give more info I would bet.

  5. #5SeaMac2012-07-01 21:11

    Like d9gdon said, he's referring to you. Brit's and Australian's generally say "hey mate". We here in North America generally say "hey, hey dude, hey bro, hey man" etc etc.

  6. #6alrman2012-07-01 21:42

    No no no fellas, d4c24a is saying that a friend (mate) of his, put one on their farm loader tractor .......

  7. #7d9gdon2012-07-01 21:53

    Not only do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, you talk on it too.

  8. #8d4c24a2012-07-02 16:06

    maybe i should have started with "My" pretty sure he just looked at a loader equipped with accumulators and got some similar P/S we drive on the left ,which is the right side

  9. #9trevor b2012-07-02 17:01

    does anyone know how ride control works?

  10. #10d4c24a2012-07-02 17:16

    basicly the accumulator takes out the shock loading on the hydraulics allowing them to float copy and paste The JCB Smooth Ride System (SRS) consists of a dry nitrogen and oil filled cylinder installed in line with the loader lift cylinders. When activated, the Smooth Ride System allows the loader arms to float slightly. This action counteracts variations in road or site surfaces and provides the operator with a smooth ride. The JCB Smooth Ride System is manually controlled, via a rocker switch on the instrument panel, for maximum benefit and user flexibility. citroen had a similar system for car suspension many years ago http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/hydraulics/hydraulics-1.html

  11. #11MrKomatsu2012-07-02 18:21

    I have put quite few on largeer units..wa500-wa800's cat 980's and 992's but the small backhoe? Does the ride on that unit really need cushioning.?. Think it may be over kill.....

  12. #12MrKomatsu2012-07-02 18:24

    It literly turns the lifft cylinders into shock absorbers thru hydralic pressure and transducers and of course a nice sized accumlator....

  13. #13trevor b2012-07-02 18:50

    thank you for the explanation herd about ride controle just did not know how it worked trevor b

  14. #14Deon2012-07-02 19:11

    Actually, Mrkomatsu, ride control is now available on all new backoes of the same size as my 310D. And also its unfortunate but small machines ride rougher than big ones. Backhoes are known to do a lot of bouncing due to the weight of the hoe out back. MrKomatsu, since you have experience with ride control, can you tell me where would be the best place to look for a kit that is sized right for my machine. Is it as simple as putting a Tee fitting with the accumulator on a valve that can be turned on or off as the operator desires? Also can the accumulator be mounted on its side or does it need to be mounted with the nitrogen end up? Can an accumulator be built out of a used hydraulic cylinder with the right modification of coarce? Please give me more info. Thanks Deon

  15. #15d4c24a2012-07-03 15:11

    you have had little roading experience with a backhoe i would guess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTD7M5pP_5Q

  16. #16MrKomatsu2012-07-06 06:50

    Very nice video..........

  17. #17robin yates uk2012-07-06 11:08

    I drove mainly JCB loader/180 for 30 years.Most of it in plant hire, some as an owner driver. The early JCBs were difficult on the road let us say but since the advent of the 3cx range roadability improved bigtime. The addition of a 4 in 1 bucket and forks(added weight)made progress faster and less hazardous.Improved brakes and the addition of 4wd braking made road travel a lot better.I had an old 3C with a 6 speed gearbox which was clocked at 38mph, ah to be young and foolish again!The latest range are now easy to drive and have great road manners as well as being comfortable

  18. #18nascar32012-07-16 12:54

    i have a jcb 1700B would like to find a place to buy an acumalator and related parts to hook up a ride control any info is appreciated

  19. #19Deon2012-07-16 20:16

    Paul Wever Constrution Equipment. 1-800-990-7923. They are in IL and they ship to Canada. Cost about $1,500. Includes all hoses, Tees, switch and all. They claim to be the only source of afermarket Ride Control systems. Guy was very nice and informative. Nice to be in contact with someone so close to home. What part of NB are you? I'm near Yarmouth NS. Good luck and keep us posted.

  20. #20nascar32012-07-17 06:04

    thanks deon i will contact them later today i am in miramichi nb

  21. #21case 580sm2012-07-18 21:12

    Video was pretty nice to watch. I have ride control on my 580sm and its a dream. I need to get it repaired though, i guess it leaked or has other damage to it. Anything you lads would know of? Thanks guys let me know

  22. #22d4c24a2012-07-19 15:24

    we have had that problem with one of ours , and it was a relay , so check the obvious first sorry cant tell you which on it was though cheers graham

  23. #23Deon2012-07-19 21:08

    case 580sm, With your Ride Control, do you notice an improvement in ride with an empty loader bucked while traveling on the road? If so, how much improvement is there?

  24. #24case 580sm2012-07-20 18:32

    Hey lads thanks for replying, When my ride control is on there is no improvement when travelling on the road.I don't know why, maybe a leak or broken part could be the problem, I'm also going to take a look at the relays and all the wiring. Thanks

  25. #25Deon2012-07-20 20:29

    case 580sm, I must re-phrase my question. I do not have Ride Control on my TLB. What I was trying to learn is whether I want to pay and upgrade to one. So my question is, when Ride Control is working well, does it improve the ride on the road while the loader bucket is empty? If so, how much? Sorry I can't advise you to what may be wrong with yours. I have no experience there. All I can suggest is if the problem came on slowly then your accumulator is probably leaking. If it came on suddenly, you probably have a solenoid malfunction. Maybe a wire connection, fuse or switch problem.

  26. #26case 580sm2012-07-21 17:11

    Oh sorry deon, I read that post incorrectly oops. I've operated new case backhoes with ride control, and it does help a lot going over bumps and rough terrain. I would spend the money if I were you for the ride control. I've only operated case machines all my life so I wouldn't know how it would work on your deere or caterpillar backhoes, but everything these days is pretty compatible with eachother so you wouldn't be dissapointed.