Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RideRights bent upwards, what are good alternatives?

RenoHuskerDu ยท 2020-01-23 19:24

Howdy, check out these pics to see how Firestone RideRights didn't hold up under my truck. It was a boom truck so yeah it was heavy, but it passed state inspection every year. The guy who drove it passed away but his rep was excellent so I doubt he inflated them over 100psi, which was printed right by the fill valves on the bed that I took off. This is the current kit that Firestone offers, and checking out the install manual, it looks exactly like mine. https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/?card=2404 https://www.firestoneip.com/rr-kit-install-manuals/W217602404.pdf Do you guys think I should stick with Firestone, or look for an alternative built stronger? Yeah, I know one mount is missing here

Replies8
  1. #1RZucker2020-01-23 19:48

    If you really need bags on a 550 to pull a gooseneck, I would stick with a new set of what you have. I've used them on my customers Dodges, GMs, and Fords. 350s and 450s and never seen a set do that. I think that bending is from using the bucket off to the side. Most of the guys I put them on for use less than 30 PSI pulling loaded trailers. You could possibly tie the tops of the brackets together with some square tubing to avoid the bending if your flatbed frame has enough clearance. Another thing to consider, if those brackets didn't bend they could have twisted the frame rails.

  2. #2RenoHuskerDu2020-01-23 19:56

    Looking at prices, the Firestone replacement bags are stupid expensive too. Two bags = the price of a full kit. Best price I've found so far for a full kit is Summit Racing.

  3. #3RZucker2020-01-23 20:05

    I think a good truck parts outfit can find the bags by measurement pretty easily for less money. But in your case I would just get the new kit and install it after blasting and painting.

  4. #4RenoHuskerDu2020-01-23 20:57

    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fip-2404

  5. #5RenoHuskerDu2020-01-23 20:58

    Sensible. The bolts are mostly going to break off anyway. Seen that rust? I'm starting another thread on it.

  6. #6Delmer2020-01-23 23:34

    That does look odd, but I don't see how the brackets could bend without showing it. You're closer though, maybe you can see how they bent. That's nothing for rust, pressure wash it, make sure there's nothing hidden, and undercoat it. It will outlast you if you wash it occasionally and keep up the undercoating.

  7. #7petepilot2020-01-24 00:58

    fwiw a 100 psi air in that little bag would absolutely make it a ride wrong

  8. #8petepilot2020-01-24 10:28

    I always thought air bags were mounted on the rear of the springs in stead of directly over the axle .airing that setup without leveling valves puts the entire load on the bags