Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ridiculous parts prices

willie59 · 2011-07-02 21:27

I've been purchasing parts for many many moons, not much gives me sticker shock anymore, but when the price of something is unreasonable, I mean, really? Yes I've heard the old saying "parts is where they make their money", I'm fully aware of that, I'm talking about prices that go way beyond that. Different machines I've worked in the past two weeks, the first a Komatsu CD60R crawler dumper, servicing the A/C system. Called Kommie for a new filter/dryer, it was like $450 bucks. Are you freakin kidding me! For a filter/dryer? Just damb. :Banghead I obtained a suitable replacement from auto parts supplier for about 20 bucks. Yesterday, working on the A/C system on a Bobcat 442 excavator. Again, need to replace filter/dryer. Called Bobcat dealer, didn't have one in stock, would have to order, $540.00! For a filter/dryer! Good Grief! :spaz Got my local auto parts on another hunt, said he'll be able to find a replacement, prolly around 20 bucks again. Then the best laugh was our 2008 Dodge 3500. Any of you guys got a late model Dodge with Cummins, better pay attention here. The starter took a crap. Sent it to my trusty starter shop, Richard called me back and said "this is one of them new starters, they don't even have parts available for these yet, but I can get you a new one for 300 bucks and some change". Told him I'd call him back. Well boss said he would like to send the truck on a trip next day so call Dodge and see what they got. Dodge parts man said "yep, I got one on the shelf, it's only eleven hundred dollars." LMAO! Told him I would have to get with boss on that one...I called Richard back. :tong Thing is, the original starter was a Denso. Got the new one from Richard, it was a brand new Denso, looked exactly like the original. Go figure.

Replies33
  1. #1bobin352011-07-02 21:40

    I see a pattern here denso=japan,komatsu=japan,bobcat=doosan,korea cat parts prices look better and better all the time imho.

  2. #2willie592011-07-02 21:45

    I've been telling folks that for some time now bobin when they talk about Cat prices, Cat typically ain't as bad as others out there. The Bobcat 442, it's actually a German built machine.

  3. #3bobin352011-07-02 21:50

    Didnt know about the 442 being german built,iknow terex is really bad on prices,a new 4 inch exhaust stack for a ta30 last i checked was 1200.00,and the electronc dump control lever was 3200.00 just crazy!

  4. #4BillG2011-07-02 21:50

    Yup, I really hate it when I am on a job and have to buy an exorbitantly priced part just because the machine has to be back in operation as soon as possible. I guess what really bothers me the most is, the guy behind the counter knows he is ripping me off because he knows what their cost is. I realize it costs money to stock the shelves but the local auto parts stores don't get it for free and they are a lot cheaper for the exact same part. The oem just seems to think they have you between a rock and a hard place and might as well make as much from you as they can get. Most times one can save a considerable amount of money if we can shop around, and that is for the exact same part. A case in point, the local equipment dealer wanted 35.00 for a standard everyday relay. I asked to see the relay, he showed me the relay in the same package as a local auto parts store. Off to the auto parts store, 3.19 later and I was happy.

  5. #5willie592011-07-02 21:53

    Yeah guys, like I said, I'm no stranger to high parts prices. Some parts, you just look at it and say, "that looks expensive". But an A/C filter/dryer? Really?

  6. #61080 bobcat2011-07-02 23:04

    it's seem to me since eq manufacters aint selling eq they are jacking up prices on parts

  7. #7Cmark2011-07-02 23:14

    Just put new exhaust manifold gaskets on a Mitsubishi truck. How about 3 gaskets @ $108.00 each??

  8. #8willie592011-07-02 23:28

    Dang Cmark...that hurts!

  9. #92stickbill2011-07-02 23:37

    We had Holt Cat to rebuild a final drive and drive motor on a 325LC.One bit the dust so to be safe the other one went in and gone through.Then a PC270 Kamatsu ha one leaking.Pulled it installed new seals and bearings planetary pins.Don't remember price but the bill for Holt was cheaper.

  10. #10mitch5042011-07-03 00:11

    I usually find with Cat parts prices, that if you can get it easily elsewhere, it will be ridiculously high. Frequently, if it is a special part that is used only on that machine, they don't do you too bad. It's almost like they are saying:"well, if you really want to buy this here..."

  11. #11lgammon2011-07-03 01:46

    unless you are talking about the pilot controls on the first gen of skids. i messed one up years ago on our 236 after driving it off a bank and crammed the lever to far forward and it pushed the plunger down past the seals and it would creep forward. well went to cat 212.00 not bad bought one installed and was happy. fast forward 6 years both pilot controls start leaking hydro like crazy go back to get two of the and now they are 800.00 a piece??? i had the parts guy look it up and said yea the did cost 212 back then. 400% increase on a part in 6 years?? ***

  12. #12EGS2011-07-03 02:21

    I had to buy some oil cooler line for a Farmall Super H. It cost $66 for 8". Yikes!

  13. #13dirty4fun2011-07-03 06:17

    I needed windshield wiper for my Case Excavator CX 130, replacement was $ 82.39. Got a new rubber only from auto supply $ 4.42, it took a few minutes to slide the new rubber in as it was a lot wider. The had gotten me once for a seal for my backhoe, so now I ask the price before hand. I needed a new thermostat for my Case 445 skidsteer, they said it only comes with the housing, $110.00. Once you remove the old housing the thermostat is removed by turning it a quater turn. I think they know when you need the machine, and can't wait or spend a bunch of time looking for parts that they can up the price.

  14. #14koldsteele2011-07-03 06:55

    I hear ya ...Willie ..Being the owner of my own repair business makes me the parts man tool lol..When I saw this thread what comes to mind was a recent a/c repair.. Customer calls me about his Kubota a/c compressor locked up . I try to find one through my aftermarket vendors no luck ..Call the Kubota dealer 1100 dollars ...So with more time than money I do so more diggin ..I find one from an a/c company off the internet 380 dollars delivered to my door ...New dryer and expansion valve and flush system labor and all less than the Dealers compressor.. The really sad part of this is that the compressor i bought is excattly what came off of the tractor ...Oh and the company that sold it to me for 380 he made money too ..

  15. #15Andre Grondin2011-07-03 08:21

    Hi ! I know about high price on parts too , seal kit for traction motor (walking motor) on a 1980 J-D 690B excavator !!!!! $654,00 each seel kit i needed two ). love it !!!!

  16. #16willie592011-07-03 10:50

    Yeah, compressors, hydraulic pumps motors, stuff you just know is going to be expensive and have a heckuva markup on them compared to if you could source the part elsewhere. It's frustrating, but you know that's the way it is. Seems I recall Rexroth drive motors for a Bobcat T190 are near the 3 grand mark. And if you have a Kobelco SK480LC with Mitsubishi 6D24 with electronic governor on injection pump, you're gonna drop near 5 grand having that pump rebuilt, and there's not too many folks are capable of working on those injection pumps. :Banghead I'm just sayin when one of these is a half a thousand dollars , that's just wrong! I found this one online for 23 bucks.

  17. #17koldsteele2011-07-03 11:19

    The more i think about this thread the more I realize just how outrageous Kubota parts are ....I did a shuttle syncro in one about a month ago the syncro sleeve a hub 2600 in parts ...

  18. #18Water Doc2011-07-03 20:37

    Alternator went out last year on our '08 sprinter. 250A stock alternator was $1600 at the dealer and 7-10 days to get it. Got an aftermarket 220A for $300 aftermarket. This year the steering rack went south on the same truck. Unfortunately no aftermarket parts to be had. $3800 later and the part was in my hands. But most expensive should be cheap part that I can think of off the top of my head is the cluster light bulbs from a GMC Topkick. They are 194 peanut bulbs soldered into a little plastic holder that quarter turns into the back of the cluster. They were ~$35 each!

  19. #19bobin352011-07-03 21:30

    Ouch That would be a PC194 from rock auto.com at .74 each

  20. #20LWG2011-07-03 21:30

    Beech airplanes, like most general aviation aircraft, have gascolators, which look like water traps you buy at Lowes for $20 and put on your air compressor. Last time I checked, Beech's price was nineteen thousand dollars, each.

  21. #21willie592011-07-03 21:50

    LWG, aviation is a little different animal. With the liability issues and zero defects concerns connected to aircraft, there's not a single part or component of an airplane that could use the word cheap in the same sentence.

  22. #22DrJim2011-07-03 22:10

    Back when my used 2001 Bobcat 773 was "new", with less than 200 hr, the alternator quit charging. This was way back in 2004 or before. Bobcat dealer wanted $ 200 + for the Denso alternator. At the time, similar Denso alternators were available from auto parts suppliers for $ 125. Went to Quality Rebuilders in west Knoxberg; the diagnosis was a faulty diode trio. Though they stocked parts for Denso alternators, this one had an "OEM" intergral regulator assembly-- more or less a mirror image of the "standard" Denso replacement alternators and parts, probably to keep people from repairing them, forcing folks to buy the OEM from the Bcat dealers. The repair guy took his pocket knife and split the integral sealed regulator. There was no room inside the part to add anything, so he simply soldered on a generic diode trio, leaving it hanging outside of the now un-sealed regulator. Tested it--it's fine! Epoxied the regulator back together, and the alternator was ready for service. I don't remember what it cost me then, seems like it was $ 16 labor and $ 4 for the diiode trio.

  23. #23koldsteele2011-07-04 00:32

    16 dollars......wow maybe i'm missin something ....that fella will be in business for a long time .. it costs me ...more than that to crank my truck ..

  24. #24chevota842011-07-04 00:57

    A guy I worked for about 15 years ago had a john deere round baler, the aux hydraulic pump went bad so he called deere...280$! When we pulled it and started looking at it it was a frickin gm power steering pump painted green, 35$ at Napa. $245 is alot for green paint. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  25. #25bigrus2011-07-04 06:10

    What's the price without the fat ($$) A pleasant surprise today. Replacing the 4 tie rod ends on the front end of Dresser today, paid $58 each. Back in '06 was charged $99 at the same retailer. The people at big K who used to supply parts wanted $300 back then!

  26. #26CM19952011-07-04 09:05

    I was talking with my father in law who is a pilot the other day about this. The reason why airplane parts are so expensive (for common everyday parts they use) is the part needs the "FAA Approved" label,tag on it. You can imagine how much it costs to go through this certification compared to how many parts they sell. Also it's a "where else are you going to get it" syndrome. Willie, I too have found Cat parts to be the most reasonable when comparing it to other brands. Bobcat is in a league of their own when it comes to parts prices... A friend of mine busted the bearing on one of the front rollers of his brushcat (Bobcat brand) mower a week or so ago. Bobcat wanted $165 for the bearing....went to local bearing supplier and bought one for $35...

  27. #27Dualie2011-07-04 19:47

    I buy all my A/C parts from Arizona mobile air. http://www.ackits.com MY a/c knowlage is limited at best but they always to right by me.

  28. #28Abscraperguy2011-07-05 00:31

    My Dad runs a large repair shop and buys all his A/C parts at ASSINIBOIA AIR CONDITIONING & DISTRIBUTION LTD http://aacparts.ca/ . He really likes them a lot.

  29. #29justridinby2011-07-05 05:40

    I had a friend with electronic problems with a machine he contacted the dealer who quoted $2000 + for the part , luckily he had a cousin who could repair the unit with better quality parts than the originals for $7.50 ,they wonder why people get so mad at their prices .

  30. #30bigrus2011-07-05 06:27

    Had another price shock today, one retailer had doubled the price of a set of cutting edges from $70 for a "black steel" 7' x 6" grader edge to $140 Went to the local C@t dealer for a price, remembering in January this year DH2 edges were $150 per edge. Today DH2 price quoted at $130 each . Their "black steel" edges were $76 Maybe price fluctuation over here relates to currency exchange rate

  31. #31tctractors2011-07-05 15:30

    The parts price issue is set at what the market can stand in different global locations, the U.K. parts price is nothing like the price set in Europe, this was made clear to me with the price of a Starting Motor on a truck only the other day, the europe set price was about £180 higher than the U.K. but the biggest pant pulling down outfit has to be Komatsu, the storeman actualy laughs in your face as he tells you the dream land price's of even the most simple parts, the biggest pant pull is on Cummins engine bits as fitted to Komatsu, its average to be double the cost of the item from Cummins, these parts are often easily found after market by quoting the Cummins Part No at about a 1/4 of the Cummins price putting the Komatsu Dream price into a real laughing thing, Komatsu need to be better and fairer to their poor victims.

  32. #32jughead2011-07-07 06:59

    hey guys it is just the yellow paint that makes it expensive. needed a bearing for a finish mower. cheapest i found was about 14.00 plus shipping which almost doubled the cost. alternator bearing for 1.25 was the same high speed bearing at the local parts store.

  33. #33steve loving2011-07-07 22:50

    I think willie59 is dead on cat prices are not as bad as komatsu and deere is high on some things thier bucket pins and mufflers are out there . Cat has them all beat on stock or getting it fast Steve