Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

right-hand drive D8s

sasquatchman ยท 2009-04-01 15:03

Some years ago I saw a video on TV about the construction of the Kariba Dam in what was then Rhodesia in the early 1960's. One segment of the film shows a pair of Cat D8's towing a ship's anchor chain to rip down trees so that they could be burned and not foul the inlet of the hydro dam later on. What was unusual about these D8's is that the driver's seat and controls were on the right-hand side of the platform. I know that Cat did build dozers in England during that period, so that is possibly where they came from. However, I have seen numerous photos of Cats working in England and they all have the controls on the same side as North America. If they built them in a right-hand drive configuration, they obviously did not do it for very long. I have found the video for sale on the internet, but I was wondering if any of the readers of this forum have run across these unusual machines in the past.

Replies2
  1. #1D6c10K2009-04-01 20:00

    Are you sure they didn't just have the film flipper over reversing the image?

  2. #2cat 3852009-04-01 21:21

    i'm not sure but are you sure the were 8's the old quad 9's you would sit off to the right side. maybe surfer joe will jump in and set me straight.