So I got my water in oil problem remedied on my Galion 503. I've been running it a little here and there and sometimes it would be nice to have the option to articulate a little. Problem of course this is a rigid frame machine. Thought maybe adding a joint just in front of the cab would do the trick. Has anyone seen or done something like this?
I've never saw a homemade version. Guess it could be done. Will require some very expensive shafts and bushings. Post a thread when you get started, with pics of course!!!!
If money is not a problem, then there is way. First is to go look at Austin Western and John Deere machines from the 1960', as both were articulated, but using different methods. Then ask yourself "How much time do I have to reinvent the flex?" I prefer the JD method as that kept the lean wheel function and is the industry standard since then. However the all wheel drive, (without the lean wheel), that AW had, is popular these days too. I'll bet that there are tricks that the old timers used to get the straight frames "positioned ", that could work well enough.
can you pinpoint the situations where you wish your had articulation? What are you trying to achieve?
My machine has a "rack". It is setup for one hand blade lift operation. On the right side the two outside levers raise/lower the blade. The third lever inward controls the articulation. All three racked in a row. When operating, my palm/fingers are on the blade levers, my thumb is on the articulation lever. I use it constantly. I use it just as often as the steering wheel when doing gravel road maintenance. The list is endless beyond that. Turning the grader around. Relieving side push on the front tires. Running the rear tires farther out in the road to prevent rutting. Ditching with the rear tires in the road. Cutting a steep bank with no slide. Turning sharp corners while blading. Steering around obstacles. Others will add more I'm sure. Going back to no articulation would be like going back to a machine that you have to stand up to operate.....
Biggest problem right now is turning around at the end of these small driveways. Sometimes moving the front end over would be nice also. But time is always against me for sure!
Several years ago an aged operator (very good friend) found himself in his first articulated grader. I met him on a gravel road and he was obviously wanting to turn around. I stopped, far out of the way, and watched. He turned that grader around using a farm field gateway with true "old" operator diligence. When He was done I pulled up by him and got out to visit. I asked if he ever used the articulation and he said he didn't see any need. Understand he's the same guy that a couple years earlier had told me that you can't run a grader setting in the seat..... I asked if he would let me demonstrate it's use, he said sure. I turned the grader around without using the gateway. He was sold.
Would be interesting, when it is possible to rebuilt, i have interest on photos too