I was thinking of bidding on some tires at the RB sale to go on the new to me grader. The size currently on it are 14.00-24. The auction has 2 lots of (4)14.00-R24 tires and 1 lot of (4)13.00-24 tires. The tires are new on rims but I don't know what the rims fit. Maybe RB knows??? I'm just interested in the tires and would sell the rims later if I'm the winning bidder. From what I could find online 13.00-24 and 14.00-24 would use the same rims. Can someone confirm or deny this and is it better going with a wider tire or narrower tire on a grader?
Usually the 13.00x24 tires are on narrower rims than 14.00x24's although i have used 14.00x24's in place of 13.00x24's. Using the bigger tires on the narrower rims will cause the sidewalls to be pulled in and make the overall diameter of the mounted tire increase. If the machine is marginal on power, the increase in overall diameter may make the engine seem lower on power. This may or may not be an issue
if it is just a toy you will be fine
Would the narrower tires on wider rims cause any problems? Also how much better are radials on a grader?
I've never put 13.00x24's on the wider rims so i don't know. If you go to radials you may get tire bounce, maybe they are better nowadays but when radials first came out for grader use, most operators hated them for that reason. In my opinion for what you are doing, they would not be worth the extra cost. Also, are your existing rims one piece for tubeless tires or the old multi-piece for bias tires? The newer multi-piece rims used an o-ring to seal the bead flange for tubeless use. The old multi-piece did not, they were designed for tubes and used with flaps
Rims are multi piece with an O-ring. The grader is an 86 so not real ancient. I thought radials allow for the tires to look like they are low on air and squat more? Just thought if the price is right try and get them. I'd have new matching tires on the tandems.