Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ripped my bucket

da'yoop ยท 2012-10-25 12:42

I've had about a 4 or 5 inch crack in my backhoe bucket for a couple years, was always going to get it welded but never got around to it. I've been using it carefully for 2 years with no problems. Well, the other day I was pulling stumps for my cousin when all of a sudden the bucket opened up like a can of tuna. I mean it tore about a 25 inch crack in it. Stupid me....I know. So anyway, what do I do now? Is it junk or can it be fixed? I can't get any pics of it til this weekend if that helps. It's a 24 inch bucket on a JD410C. The rip is down the side.

Replies8
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-10-25 13:35

    A good welder can fix it up, but it may be cheaper to find a good used one. Usually you can get a good used bucket for older hoes like that for $300 to $500 The welder will likely cost that much to fix that size break.

  2. #2da'yoop2012-10-25 15:19

    I've been looking on ebay and craigslist but haven't found one yet. I'm not sure if it's the HD bucket or standard. Don't know the capacity either......just that it's a 24"

  3. #3skata2012-10-25 19:03

    call your local dealer to see if they have one laying around

  4. #4da'yoop2012-10-25 19:42

    Good idea, I'll have to do that. I'm done with the hoe now until spring, just need the loader bucket for snow removal. I'm not in a hurry to spend $500 so I'll be shopping around. Also going to talk to some guys about possibly welding it back up and maybe putting a plate over the crack and welding that on too. Seems like that would help.....don't really know tho.

  5. #5Sky King2012-10-25 20:11

    I'm no welder but I've welded allot of stuff. I can't see a bucket repair costing very much as long as it is not in the mount area (alignment issues). I have a 36" bucket and am considering making it a 24". Just heat it and beat it, and weld it back up. You can make a patch if you like to strengthen it. Good Luck !!

  6. #6jughead2012-10-26 06:19

    if one is going to own one of these yellow boogers professional or not a good ac-dc stick welder would seem to be a good investment. like most other stuff one doesnt have to be a expert to prevent a lot of bigger problems. with just a little expert help and practice it is not too hard to learn to stick weld good enough for so-called gov work.

  7. #7digger242j2012-10-26 07:32

    I say the same kind of thing about myself. And if you're going to learn to weld, buckets are a good place to start...

  8. #8Sky King2012-10-28 00:29

    Welder, grinder, and apaint brush. LOL Put DA GORILLA WELD on it. Ugly but STrong !! I'd like to take some instruction on welding. I have a mig (a really good one) and a nice Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder. As I mentioned, I am planning to make my digging bucket smaller and I have a rotted through spot on my front bucket. It is not in danger of braking but I am going to fix that and rig it up to use as a fork lift when needed. I have found that being a good fitter makes the weld job much easier. So I use my grinder allot. Ha ha. I'm just careful not to make stuff too heavy. Good Luck !! Gene Pearl River, La IH 3400A (under constant improvement)