I have a D4H with a 3 shank ripper......i would like to use the ripper sometimes as a drawbar by replacing the middle ripper with a drawbar type shank(if availible) is there a replacment shank that is fitted to be a drawbar?? is there a problem with using a ripper in this way? experiences would be appreciated
I have never seen a special drawbar style shank but I'm also not an operator. I don't think it would be that difficult to have one made up but what I have seen is pulling style eyes welded to the back of the ripper frame for that reason. I don't see a problem with using the ripper as a drawbar for straight pulling but if you start turning that is were problems could start. Rippers are designed for straight line pulling forces not to absorb side thrusts. After all, what's the difference between a shank in the ground pulling the ripper frame back or a load pulling on the frame ?
] This is the ripper on the Case 455C. I have towed sheep's foot rollers and stuck trucks etc with no problems. I can't remember but I think I had to remove the tynes when towing the sheep'sfoot
thebaz; Perfect every second dozer in aus has a drawbar tongue welded on the rippers and i have never seen one fail from D7 size down :drinkup Leroy
I have built hitches out of shanks and plate the thickness of shanks. They both work fine. If you weld to the ripper bar that will work too, but you will have to remove the ripper shanks so they will not drag. If you build your shank hitch at the right height, when you are pulling the shanks are out of the ground.
For your D4H I think some ears made out of 3/4"-1" plate should be adequate. Just keep in mind when you use it, it should be fairly low (About level with the center of the rear idlers (Or the rear sprocket with low drives)) to prevent the tractor from flipping over.
They make all kinds of drawbars and hitches for rippers,we have specially made ones on the d8's and d9's at the oilsands for pulling discers and plow boxes in the mud.The higher up mounted the better for us as it allows you to lift your implement allmost off the ground in certain circumstances. Our komatsus came specially made with counterwieghts instead of rippers for pulling huge discers,komatso sold us the pintel hooks for them and we got 30 hours out of each one,they were made from hollow cast.:beatsme
thanks for the feedback......i was thinking a person could build a pin height adjustable hitch that fit in the middle ripper shank slot ....anyone aware of a premade unit??
Our komatsus have solid mounted adjustable hitches but the beauty of the ones on the cat rippers is you adjust them with your ripper height. We dont have rippers on our komatsus,another brain dead idea by some engineer in an office to replace them with a huge solid counterweight before they shipped them. People should ask the operators what works best before second guessing us.They also tried a flexible hitch that swings from side to side as you turn,another bad idea as soon as you back up it swivels to the side and breaks your drawbar everytime.
I've seen them made like the drawing. You will have to find a shank though, and cut off the bottom half or whatever amount you work out to be about right.