Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Road construction idiots

Welder Dave ยท 2022-08-20 13:19

Driving out to my property they are fixing the intersection where I normally have to turn left. No left turn so I drive about a mile and turn and come back on the other side of the road. Getting close to the intersection the right lane is closed with a big light sign showing arrows to the left lane. About 50ft. before the intersection there is another big light sign with blinking arrows to the right. I think 99% of drivers would think this means you can turn right. A flag lady had traffic stopped. Once it was going I put my turn sign on and proceeded to turn right. I was going slow because there was some work going on. Then this old hag flag lady starts coming towards me yelling and screaming oh my God, etc. I just pinned it and took off straight. Had she maybe had even the least bit of customer service skills she might have politely came over and said there are no right turns. I then would have said you should turn off the huge right arrow sign. I hope a bunch more people attempt to turn right so she realizes something is up. They also have absolutely no detour signs telling an alternate route. This is absolutely stupid! I should see who's doing the work and call them up to tell them to smarten up. Beyond stupid!

Replies8
  1. #1CM19952022-08-20 14:49

    The DOT having jurisdiction should've had a plan drawn for all aspects and phases of the project. Here ALDOT's traffic control plans are as thick as the erosion control plans which are thicker than the actual construction drawings.

  2. #2DDoug2022-08-20 20:37

    Non Sequitur by Wiley Miller for August 18, 2022 - GoComics

  3. #3efnfast2022-08-21 08:07

    I pulled up to a construction zone and the was a flagger there. He was on his cell phone and waving his hand around. I didn't know if he wanted me to stop, go, stay to the left, stay to the right, his arm was just flailing all over the place. No body died, so I guess I did ok

  4. #4AzIron2022-08-23 07:32

    Depends on if its private or municipal work here. Municipal work gets away with the minimum like closing complete roads with no detour or narrowing a 3 lane to one lane Now if your doing work for property owner or development then plan on overkill cause you wont be allowed to shut down a road except at night

  5. #5Old Doug2022-08-23 09:36

    I was in a hurry to make it to the scrap yard before noon. I went up the ramp to cross over the highway there was a sign weight for pilot car flag guy on other side of over pass.Pilot car comes by headed my way i go he turns around other side of overpass. On the way back i have to stop 2 cars from ramp and weight for pilot car to drive 20 feet. Why wasnt flag guy on other side of ramp?

  6. #6cuttin edge2022-08-23 19:54

    Years a go when flaggers graduated from an actual flag to the slow and stop sign. A young fella was standing on the road spinning his sign, uninterested in what he was doing. An older gentleman rolled down his window, and said excuse me young fella, can you tell me what your sign says? He said, funny thing, I have been holding it all day, and it hasn't said a damn thing....

  7. #7cuttin edge2022-08-23 19:57

    Everyone is signed right to death. We had to hire someone just for traffic control. We did a little 750 meter long mill and pave job, and she had to put up 48 signs. Took more time to put up and take down signs than to mill and pave it.

  8. #8aighead2022-08-24 06:38

    For my RV trip I went through some of the state of New York's websites to find acceptable campgrounds. Not signs as much as more regulations than I understood what to look at. Then you get to some of them and there's a big sign with much too much info on them with all kinds of weird intricacies that don't all make sense. I'm a decent reader but man, it's overload.