Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Road crossing equipment

stumpjumper83 ยท 2011-07-20 21:01

I have a 30' road crossing to do for a 1" water line here the end of the week. A friend has a road punching tool that he has agreed to let me borrow. It consists of a pile of 2" steel rod, some swadgeing heads up to 6", and an aparatus that you lower into a pit, and connect to an excavator or backhoe where the bucket would connect. Curling and uncurling the bucket cylinder then drives the rod under the road. He got the thing at auction some where, it looks to have been previously used for running 4" polly gas line. Anyone have experience?

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042011-07-22 00:13

    No experience at all...but I'd love to see it. What keeps you from bending the rod if the the hoe moves a little? Post a pic or two please.

  2. #2Drc2011-07-22 00:50

    Make sure the leading head of the pipe push is slightly bigger than the rod or pipe otherwise friction will shoot you down

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-07-22 06:06

    I'll see if I can post a pic and yes the lead is just a little bigger, I think I wanna lube it as it goes with something, any suggestions?

  4. #4JBGASH2011-07-22 21:34

    They can be difficult if the soil is hard or rocky. We use a mole/ piercing tool and have very good results most of the time as long as no objects get in the way.