Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Road Drag

cmartinweld ยท 2013-12-30 22:22

I build these road drags for townships and anyone else who wants one. What do you guys think? See anything I could change/improve? Anyone want one? Thanks!

Replies17
  1. #1kb9tci2013-12-30 22:38

    Good looking piece of equipment! A thought: What about changing the hitch to a u-channel setup for adjustable height & coupler options? I know that you can get pin, pintle, and ball hitches to fit the channels.

  2. #2cmartinweld2013-12-30 22:40

    Not a bad idea!

  3. #3cmartinweld2013-12-30 22:42

    Here is a better shot of the lift arm pivots

  4. #4kb9tci2013-12-30 22:56

    Another thought: I see some chains that are bolted on to some of what appear to be pieces of angle iron. Even with grade 8 bolts, there is a chance of bolt shear and washer deformation due to the cantilevered stresses. If this is a lifting point, I would suggest a shackle/clevis or lift hook (straight-line pulls are best). My suggestion could be complete overkill, too

  5. #5cmartinweld2013-12-30 23:06

    There are threaded pieces of 1" bar welded to the angle where the chains bolt to the frame. So the last link is basically acting as a clevis. The forward chains that do the pulling are attached differently. So far-So good! I appreciate the input though! Hope it keeps coming!!

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-12-31 00:39

    Yair . . . cmartinweld .That's a well made implement but I don't see any adjustment for setting a crown? Several manufacturers make similar setups over here. They are probably not as heavy duty though and, on the stations they are often towed with a 4x4 pickup they use a 12volt linear actuator for lift. Cheers.

  7. #7cmartinweld2013-12-31 00:43

    Thank you! The rear 9' blade is adjustable to make the crown.

  8. #8AKSNOW2013-12-31 11:20

    Like it! Curious on cost. We have several miles of dirt road to our road and I rent a 140h twice a year. Would be great if it is cost effective!

  9. #9AKSNOW2013-12-31 11:27

    What flow rate / pressures are required for hydraulics?

  10. #10Trashman2013-12-31 12:10

    Nice set up....the only suggestion I might add, would be to use cutting edges.

  11. #11ValleyFirewood2013-12-31 12:17

    Meant to be towed by a tractor and tie into its hydraulics?

  12. #12cmartinweld2013-12-31 12:57

    Tractor or a small dump truck.

  13. #13cmartinweld2014-01-02 16:23

    Sent you a PM

  14. #14ValleyFirewood2014-01-03 07:05

    Do you have a design that would be towed by a truck? I think that would something people would use. Electric over hydro? I'm not sure how a dumptruck would tie into the hydraulics without patching into the dump system.

  15. #15cmartinweld2014-01-03 10:33

    I don't currently have a design for that but it would have to be much smaller. This design weighs three thousand pounds and typically takes a 100+ HP tractor to pull.

  16. #16cmartinweld2014-01-21 19:28

    Waiting for a deposit for another build. Will post pics once I get started. CM

  17. #17cmartinweld2015-02-06 19:08

    I'm only a year behind on this....