Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Road grading with a “Roadrunner” front end skis steer attachment

Dickeyjoe ยท 2014-06-04 11:04

I'm looking at this very neat looking, but kind of spendy, front attachment for my CAT 259D CTL called a Roadrunner. It looks like a Gannon box with a moldboard that is fixed at a 12degree angle side to side, but can be lifted on both ends up/down to make crown. It also can be fitted with a decent size smooth roller that can be lifted to add weight to the front and pushed down to give compaction ( not so sure how that would be). Anybody out there ever used or seen one? I'm no skilled grader and have over 1 mile of gravel road to maintain. This looks like it might be the ticket. Thanks

Replies14
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2014-06-05 12:01

    Check out this thread. One member has one, though he hasn't posted in a couple of years, he has a good description.

  2. #2pafarmer2014-06-18 03:46

    I own a roadrunner. Awesome attachment, Worth every penny. I own the 8ft model....

  3. #3JBGASH2014-06-18 07:53

    Pa, do you pull it with a tractor or prefer it on a CTL? I have a 1/2 mile of farm road that I maintain with a tractor and rear mounted blade that really does not do the best job. That attachment looks like it would be the ticket..

  4. #4pafarmer2014-06-18 18:08

    I push it with the CTL. I used to use a box blade like you and the two can't even be compared. It does. Fantastic job, allows for the creation of a perfect crown. I really great tool. It's rare when you buy a tool and say it was worth the expense, well this one is more than worth it. Very well made, very adjustable. Wish I owned it much sooner....

  5. #5JNB2014-06-18 19:18

    I have a Land Pride land plane grading blade that I use once in awhile with my tractor. I can't even count how many hours I have on a box blade and can tell you that what takes years to master with a box blade takes hours with a land plane. I'll be purchasing a Roadrunner this year for my CTL...I'm getting tired of tractor-neck.

  6. #6JNB2014-06-18 19:21

    Pa - Is yours the double screw jack or the screw jack/hydraulic ram model?

  7. #7Orchard Ex2014-06-21 11:12

    I have a roadrunner and it has been great. I got mine with both the 3 point hitch and the quicktach plate to use with both the tractor and the skid steer. I generally use it behind the tractor but it's just a personal preference. It has been great for maintaining gravel or asphalt milling roads but you can also raise the blades and spread (gravel, millings, 3/4 stone etc.) like an asphalt screed. I talked with Bob Horrell before I bought mine and he was spot on with everything he said about it.

  8. #8JNB2014-06-21 13:30

    How quick is it to adjust the screw jacks? My Land Pride takes a wrench and a backup which makes it a pain. I like the additional weight of the Roadrunner as well. These things seem to work better the heavier they are.

  9. #9Orchard Ex2014-06-22 19:57

    Very quick, there is a "T" handle welded to the top of the screw - just spin them by hand. They have a jam nut on the screw but I never use it.

  10. #10RTSmith2018-12-12 10:58

    Kick an old thread back up- you guys with a Roadrunner. Do you have the wheels on it? And- can you get the serrated blades down deep enough to break up around potholes?

  11. #11hermannea2019-01-19 20:00

    Looking at getting a roadrunner boxblade for my skidsteer. Does anyone have any advice if its able to maintain a compacted gravel road? Sales rep says it weights 1200lbs.

  12. #12Aceofspades2021-11-09 20:08

    I'm interested in one of these too. A lot of the gravel roads in my area are ROUGH! Think a lot of elevation change and washout leaving behind rocks and roots to grade out before adding gravel. How would this attachment work/ last in this environment? Are there any other attachments to consider? thanks

  13. #13RTSmith2021-11-18 09:38

    I ended up buying one of these- https://www.grademax.net/skid-max Can't say as I've used it much on a drive/road. Rather I have a large gravel parking lot, that has a drive in it it (equipment sales yard with a driveway going down the middle). It has been good at quickly loosening gravel & filling potholes. I got the power angle one. At an angle it does cut more aggressively. Frankly, I've not needed to work a crown, so can't speak to that. I do know if you get deep enough to get through the 3/4 gravel into the 2-3" popping up, they just mess the process up until you pick them out by hand. But- a power rake on angle may take care of them.

  14. #14Simon C2021-11-21 22:11

    Was wondering if pafarmer who says he has one has the hydraulic adjust or manual adjust for the blades. Was wondering if he has the wheel extensions out front. Simon C