Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rock breaker on Case 580 SM

troyharnish ยท 2014-12-14 17:01

Hi all; Wondering if anyone out there has experience running a rock breaker/ hammer on a Case 580 Super M? I am told that I can pin my extend-a-hoe (rear boom) in the retracted position and use the hydraulic hoses for the extend-a-hoe to run a hammer. Would it have sufficient flow to run it? Is it effective? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-12-14 22:52

    I would think no, most hammers have their own hyd valve and lines to get the volume/flow. What type of hammer are you looking at ?.

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-12-14 23:53

    Dont forget when you do this you put your return flow through the control valve rather than straight to tank which will cause excessive back pressure which will blow the seals of your hammer and cause it operate slowly. Look at this parts book and see if your machine has an auxiliary valve section. Then tee into the return line for valve before the filter and after the control valve . What hammer are you planning to use? http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/Ca...0 Super M/Case 580 Super M Plus Series II.pdf

  3. #3troyharnish2014-12-15 09:25

    Thanks for the replies; Not sure what kind of hammer yet, was hoping to find one at one of the local rental places (Cat, Hertz, United) that would fit, and then figure out what I needed to do to my Hoe to make it work. It is looking more and more that a proper aux valve is the way to go.