Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rockford Clutch PTO

tuney443 ยท 2010-04-02 20:09

Does anyone know of any parts dealers for Rockford clutch PTO's? I have an old [maybe 40 yrs. old] dry clutch PTO for my Royer topsoil shredder that I need a new shaft for.Or does anyone have any old units laying around or know of someone that does?

Replies35
  1. #1willie592010-04-02 20:22

    Not certain about Rockford, but the last time I purchased a PTO clutch I purchased the parts from Palmer Johnson. http://www.pjpower.com/twindisc/pto/

  2. #2tuney4432010-04-05 11:58

    Thanks Atco---yeah,they were 1 of about 5 it seems that are Rockford dealers,but unfortunately what I have is 40-45 years old and nobody stocks these parts anymore.It looks like either scavenging one from a boneyard or having a machine shop building me one.I will say to anyone else ever researching this to probably stay away from this arrogant coot who goes by the name of ''Dr. Diesel'' over at Foley engines in Mass.They're supposedly a Wisconsin and Rockford dealer.He acted like I was bothering him and how dare I make him repeat himself when I didn't understand what he was saying.

  3. #3stock2010-04-05 19:02

    You looking for a slip clutch? might try an agri dealer http://www.gkn-walterscheid.com/products

  4. #4willie592010-04-05 20:30

    I think tuney is looking for a PTO clutch similar to this Stock http://pjpower.com/uploads/PDFs/CX_series.pdf The Rockford brand clutch was common years ago, getting a bit scarce nowdays. The Twin Disk brand clutch is a more common clutch found today.

  5. #5tuney4432010-04-05 21:23

    Yes Atco,that Twin-disc is very similar to my Rockford PTO.Really a very simple deal-it looks just like a small car standard bellhousing,has 1 8'' dry clutch,pressure plate,flywheel,pilot and throw-out bearing,just extremely heavy duty,grease fittings everywhere,with some real nifty hardware that you just don't see anymore.Rockford is a division of Borg-Warner,or I probably should say used to be originally.I did find 2 sources for a new shaft today.I feel like both of them are giving me the shaft with that $600 price tag.Just can't justify that much for such a small shaft of say about 12'' long and an average 1.5'' diameter.I'm meeting up with a fellow excavator tomorrow who just might have a complete same unit.If that doesn't work,I'll get mine machined or have one built new.

  6. #6stock2010-04-06 04:58

    http://www.royerparts.com/ Sorry about the bum steer earlier.......

  7. #7tuney4432010-04-06 08:46

    No reason to be sorry,appreciate all the help.That royer link is for Cornelius,out in Wisconsin,my dealer.I do have a request in to them but they mostly have only replacement shredding belts and related parts for their ancient machines like mine.

  8. #8Komatsu 1502010-04-06 09:31

    Tuney, I'm sure you're familiar with this web site http://www.rockfordpowertrain.com/ as that is the official Rockford Clutch site. This site: http://www.naclutch.com/ is for North American Clutch. I believe that company was started by some original Rockford Clutch employees when the original company went through one of the sales/mergers/downsizing. They are located within a few miles of the original company. It might be worth a call.

  9. #9tuney4432010-04-06 10:40

    Thanks Komatsu--both those sites are the manufacturer as they passed me off to one of their dealers but I did get the official ''Bill of Materials'' for my PTO which is extremely important and put a smile on my face.It's funny some of the terms they used to use.Turns out from some chicken scratch on the official Rockland document,that my unit is at least as old as 1961.

  10. #10Komatsu 1502010-04-06 12:30

    I didn't realize North American had also been bought up. Too bad, I guess that's the way things are now. It used to be possible to contact the "back room" and get special stuff done. Dad worked at Rockford Clutch back in the fifties and he had some contacts, all since retired and passed away, but they would accommodate anyone with a special problem.

  11. #11tuney4432010-04-07 08:38

    No,I don't think they were bought up,I just believe I was dealing with the manufacturer of Rockland clutches,as they told me they only sell to their dealer network.

  12. #12tuney4432010-04-08 09:14

    Nobody has any of these old relics laying around?Talking to Cornelius the other day--they say it's either a model 360 or 362,the oldest and simplest they made from the early sixties.Original color was red.

  13. #13tuney4432010-04-11 10:20

    I couldn't wait around any longer so I had my machine shop fix up my old shaft.Installed it yesterday,seems fine.I still do want to find another shaft though for a backup so if anyone knows where any of these old Royers or Rockford PTO's[PTA-5871] are,please give me a shout.

  14. #14tuney4432010-04-20 09:22

    Well,that shaft lasted about an hour and 15 yds. of topsoil. Broke in half,lots of sparks when the sheaves smacked up against some steel.Thank God I can still run out of my backhoe quick to shut her down before I broke anything else.Had to buy a new shaft from Dave Kloner over at Kloner's Supply in Akron,Ohio--excellent dealer--had my shaft the very next day after he got my check, and he even discounted the part some.The Royer is now up and running with the great smell of aged manure and topsoil.

  15. #15tuney4432010-06-13 19:09

    Well,that new shaft lasted only about a month and a half,only app.350 yds. of topsoil.Broke clean right in half,same place as my original one.Had to get another new one,bitched some to Kloner's and will send them the ''old'' shaft to see if it was maybe defective.If it breaks again,I'll have a machine shop custom make me one out of harder steel.

  16. #16mitch5042010-06-14 01:03

    MinnParr is a company that supplies parts for many brands of obsolete machines. They buy original drawings and liscences from the manufacturers and make parts. They also sell some New Old Stock. They list Rockford clutch as one of their lines.

  17. #17tuney4432010-06-14 20:54

    Thanks--Just registered and wrote them an e-mail.You can never have too many parts sources.

  18. #18tuney4432010-06-26 03:36

    They are about $100 higher than Kloner's Supply where I've already bought 2 new shafts and lo and behold,my second new shaft broke on Thurs.Sending it back to Rockford as this just should not happen.11/4'' to 13/8'' solid steel isn't supposed to break for no apparent reason.All 3 shafts now broken in the identical place.

  19. #19bill onthehill2010-06-26 18:50

    Do you have excess runout or endplay in your bearings? Something is letting a stress load transfer to that point on the shaft. Does it get any impact loading dirt in the hopper from other parts of the machine?

  20. #20tuney4432010-06-29 08:34

    No Bill,everything is tight,no endplay whatsoever,new housing and pilot shaft bearings,tight in their bores.If anything,I baby the machine,it gets loaded from my 3' backhoe bucket,it's designed for a 8' loader bucket,so no,with the grizzly, there is no heavy impact loading.

  21. #21OneWelder2010-06-30 13:30

    Is this a shaft with a spline on it that drives off a hub on the crank - or does the shaft go into a pilot bearing ?

  22. #22bdress12011-02-26 15:56

    I have 2 Rockford clutches model PTO's [PTA_5871] please contact if interested.

  23. #23tuney4432011-09-11 17:07

    Well,since this last post I went through 2 more new shafts--Dave Kloner felt so bad for me he trusted me to pay later,I can't say enough good about the man.He even had an engineer from Rockford call me to figure things out.I did my own redneck re-engineering---moved the sheave off the troublesome shaft area in closer to the clutch to remove as much stress as possible,in doing so I had to remove 1 of the 5 belts since now the huge non adjustable flywheel sheave connected to the drive roller wouldn't line up, and I got some massive Cummins valve springs that I placed on the belt tightening adjustment studs to relieve the stress on the shaft when the belts try to overtighten when some dirt falls in the sheaves.

  24. #24Pitt Auto2011-10-06 15:28

    Pitt Auto We are a Rockford PTO distributor. Call 800-245-0711, and one of our parts guys may be able to help you.

  25. #25tuney4432011-10-09 12:24

    Thanks.I have called you in the past on this matter.Can't remember the outcome.

  26. #26trevor b2012-01-04 20:29

    do you still need one ? i have a compleat unit curintley on a 4 cyl wisconsin motor you can have 250.00 tb

  27. #27tuney4432012-01-05 09:45

    It's been running fine but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have some spare parts kicking around.What exactly do you have and is it a PTA 5871?

  28. #28tree-magnet2013-09-15 19:58

    Do you still have the pta-5851 for a Rockford PTO I could use one. Steve 425-422-7795

  29. #29tree-magnet2013-09-15 20:03
  30. #30trevor b2013-09-15 21:44

    tree-magnet yes i do will check this week -get #'s and maby some pic's

  31. #31tree-magnet2013-09-16 00:08

    Great, let me know. My phone is 425-422-7792 not 95...

  32. #32tuney4432013-09-16 01:31
  33. #33tree-magnet2013-09-16 10:19
  34. #34trevor b2013-09-19 03:26

    treemagnet--the mod#isA589 & SER# IS 139582 & tuney443 on 04/15/2012 isent you a private message to you with the same info tks trevor b

  35. #35Clif K&L Clutch2014-02-28 10:18

    We can help with your Rockford needs. Clifford K&L Clutch 817-267-0129 Authorized Rockford distributor http://www.klclutch.com/