Hello What is the purpose of the thin rod running along the loader from the tilting mechanism? Does it have something to do with selfleveling? http://autoimages.org/wp-content/uploads/parser/John-deere-310-6.jpg
Yes, you're right. The manufacturers will call it "self levelling" but in reality its main role in life is to prevent dirt spilling out of the back of the bucket and landing on the cab roof when the loader arms are at maximum height.
Ah, ok. I'm guessing it works like this: - when you lift the loader there is a cam pushing on a valve spool plunger - this valve opens for oil to the bucket tilt cylinder - bucket tilt cylinder moves and also moves the cam via the rod - when the bucket is in correct position the cam is no longer pushing on the valve spool plunger and the bucket stops something like that anyway... Prevent dirt spill, I see. So it doesn't really start working until you are approaching max lift height? Or is it active throughout the whole lifting range of the loader?
1st question, yes. If you raise the bucket all the way, you will feel the linkage physically moving the tilt lever to the dump position. 2nd question. Not sure. On Cat machines with this kind of system I think that's the case. On a JD, I don't know.
Yeah, generally keeps the bucket in the same orientation through the lift cycle so you don't end up with a lap full of rocks.
On some machines it also functions as part of the "Return to dig" function. After dumping the bucket you lock the bucket control into tilt back with a detent and the rod trips the valve out when the bucket hits the point where it will be flat when it hits the ground.
Thanks for the answers guys! Any chance anyone has a picture of the mechanism where the rod meets the valve? Edit: Found some pics of a nicely restored Case here: HeavyEquipmentForums Still, it would be nice with some pic of modern machines.
I cant get a picture of it because my camera phone is broken and I don't have a regular camera with me. But, the spool for the loader curl has a bolt screwed into it. That bolt catches on a lever with a hook cut in it, attached via linkage to the rod you see on the loader arm.
Very well, now I am even more intrigued.
I don't know about a J, but the older ones the rod only contacted the spool to keep from dumping backwards toward the top of the lift. It's just a mechanical linkage that pushes the valve spool. It also activates the return to dig. Also, that thing that rotates at the loader to frame mount has a dial on it close to the operators view so you can see what angle the bottom of the bucket is if you want to keep the bucket flat, or at a certain angle for digging.
Oh, an angle indicator as well, nice.
Delmer, thats exactly how it works on the j