Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roll off truck/hook truck vs roll off trailer

Premier ยท 2015-01-10 20:56

Hello all I'm considering opening a small container service in south jersey. Before anyone points it out I'm aware that I need a license from the DEP in NJ and that it takes up to a year to be issued. I'm looking for opinions from anyone that thinks there's a small niche market working with home owners and small (2-5) person construction crews having a roll off trailer over a roll off/hook truck. I found a dealer that is selling a trailer chasis with (5) 12 yard containers as a package deal for a little over $20k brand new that I can hook up to my f250. The obvious con is that im limited to smaller containers which will not coordinate well with companies seeking 20-30 or even 40 yard cans. Is anyone out here running these types of set ups? Or is it a waste and a terrible idea? It caught my eye since I already have a truck capable of pulling this type of operation. I also liked the idea that it's new equipment and I'm not taking a gamble with buying a used roll off/hook truck that may or may not be on its last leg. Any feedback and opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1lumberjack2015-01-10 21:26

    That sounds too cheap to be worth much. With the truck and trailer you'll be in Class A CDL territory, and the 4 axles will cost more on toll roads. For those size containers, I think a single axle truck would be loads better. I have considered a similar setup for myself hauling tree debris. A gooseneck trailer with a 40k coupler, 15k axles, and pull it with my F550. I have ruled it out for now. That trailer setup would cost almost as much as three more new gooseneck dump trailers. I could nest containers but I would lose the ability to haul equipment in them, which would mean another truck. I could spend a fraction of the money, buy another used gooseneck dump, and haul it to the jobs with a second truck. The 550 could swap trailers out.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-01-10 21:47

    Did you do a search on past threads along this line? It's pretty well been discussed to death, not being negative and I'm sure some knowledgable people will have some fresh advice, but there's a lot of good information already on the board.

  3. #3Premier2015-01-10 21:55

    I have searched the site and I've come across discussions about regular roll off/hook trucks and also dumptrailers. The only thing I've seen about roll off trailers was some guy trying to promote his trailer business out in California because the state was changing its diesel emission laws. If you can direct me to roll off trailer threads I'd appreciate it. Thanks

  4. #4lantraxco2015-01-10 22:51

    My apologies, I must be getting old.... I looked at about twenty threads and found nothing of any real use to you, though lots of discussion about hooklift versus roloff system. And yeah, that guy in California shows up in several threads, LOL. Please disregard my previous post, as someone must have said a long time ago, it's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt! ointhead

  5. #5Delmer2015-01-11 10:47

    I know next to nothing about the roll off business, but I know roofing good enough that people assume I speak Spanish. I once got a small dumpster that was delivered with a dually F350 and it worked for that roof, but it's a rare tearoff that will fit in a dumpster that small, and the price was barely lower than a bigger dumpster with the same weight going into it. The last two filled a 30 that should have been a 40, and a 40 that was packed to get it all in. The companies don't want to give you a 40 for a roof because it will be too heavy if it's packed with asphalt shingles, but wood shingles are much lighter and bulkier to fill a 40 with a few layers on top. It will be a little tricky being in such a small niche, but it is a nice size for a lot of small jobs. Comes down to the population density, your location vs dump, and how the numbers work out.

  6. #6Premier2015-01-11 11:46

    @delmar being in New Jersey you never really seem to run out of people as far as population hahah. I live about 30 mins from The dump where I'd be looking to conduct business. I was thinking my target market would be guys doing kitchens and baths where the turn around is roughly a week or two. I'd workout deals for repeat contractors naturally. My overhead would be lower than bigger companies since its a one man operation so I can't see why I couldn't have a lower price for the boxes. I also thought they would be great for homeowners looking to do clean outs for basements, garages, brush etc..