Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roll over.

Truckie · 2007-01-18 19:00

All right I going to give it my best shot to post a re sized picture. The trail is a JMH tub trailer. The driver or I should say steering wheel holder rolled it because he was dumping on 1 flat out side tire and the other outside on the same side dang near flat. Plus dumping on a wash board spot. Basically the driver just did not care and did not use any common since. So here is the results.

Replies15
  1. #1Truckie2007-01-18 19:11

    The rest.

  2. #2Lashlander2007-01-18 20:51

    Bummer, He's lucky the trailer fell on to the scrap pile. It didn't pull the truck clear over. They have a tendency to twist up then snap over hard when they go. I've picked up several of those end dumps over the years.

  3. #3Truckie2007-01-18 21:24

    No doubt. I have seen some pretty nasty roll over’s. I got some more pictures I just got to re size them. I’m not the best at re sizing them.

  4. #4Dozerboy2007-01-18 22:18

    Oops it got to the point on one of our jobs I had to the bucket of my hoe in the trailer as they where dumping we had 5/6 of them roll.

  5. #5Lashlander2007-01-18 23:59

    I'd already picked a couple of them up by the first time I pulled one. One of them at the dump. We were removing an old dock with 40' timbers. We loaded one and I took it out to the dump to unload. I thought I picked a smooth spot because I had to pull up to slide it out once I had the box in the air. I was really nervous about dumping it. I raised the box and started to slowly pull up, I stuck my head out the truck window and looked up at the top of the box and over the trailer went. I went vertigo and if the door hadn't been closed I'd fell out of the truck. I was in the middle of bracing for the impact when it dawned on me that I didn't seem to be rolling over. I stuck my head out the window and looked up again at the clouds going by on a windy day. Its amazing what your mind can talk you into thinking.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-01-19 00:04

    You ever been sleeping in a piece of equipment and dreamed you were rolling even though you are sitting still..... This hasn't ever happened to me but I heard about it from someone else.

  7. #7Jeff D.2007-01-19 00:11

    So, it didn't go over then? Is that what you meant by the other stuff? You thought it was going over because of the clouds moving when looking up at the trailer? It was kinda hard too follow.:bouncegri I think I got it though?!:beatsme

  8. #8Ford LT-90002007-01-19 00:22

    I think we should photo chop that picture and put Jeff's Mack vision in place of the CH in the picture :bouncegri I'am surprised that end up rolled over its a full frame unit usually the framless models like flopping on the side.

  9. #9Truckie2007-01-19 08:09

    You mean you were un loading 40’ ground steaks.:bouncegri Seriously I’m glade it did not go over on you. When I first started to learn how to dump I was like a lot of guys I see today. Stand on the fuel tank to dump. After I saw a guy roll one I stopped that real quick. I learned how to use the mirrors to dump real fast.:yup If you look in the first picture you can see the left rear out side tire is flat, and the front out side is pretty low on air. It also did not help the driver had the left side sitting in a hole. Take a close look at the picture and you will see it. Also you will see the piece of steel the driver hit to take out the left rear outer tire with in the front other picture. To lazy to get out and look and move anything.

  10. #10Ford LT-90002007-01-19 14:22

    End dumps are horrible the conditions have to be perfect to dump them or they do flop over I did notice the tire was flat. Scrap haulers use nothing but rolloff bins a rolloff truck with 2 40 yard bins can haul allot of scrap they can max the truck out to 140,000lbs with a bin trailer with a bin and bin on the truck. Same with a truck and transfer hauling gravel you can put 15 ton in the truck and 20 on the trailer a end dump can't haul 35 ton legally.

  11. #11mflah872007-01-19 21:16

    i was on a job i saw someone roll a brand new peterbilt 379 dump trailer with all the bells and whistles, and the best of all was we had to smash the trailer body down and made the piston look like a pretzel

  12. #12Truckie2007-01-20 07:44

    I know the set up your talking about. Only problem is they wont let then in the mills here. The tie things up. That truck and trailer in the pictures here light weigh in at 38,000 lbs we make 80,000 with no problem. Of course it all depends on the material your hauling also. I will post some other pictures of my set up and some other roll over;s as soon as I figure out how to re size them. Some of the pictures will work and some don’t.

  13. #13thejdman042007-01-20 19:53

    One day, were just dumping piles of dirt so they can level them out, We had the long dumps like in the pick (i think if i remember right mine was 40 ft. I backed in along side the other driver that was there (rather large pile and not real critical where we dumped). I Looked over, he was putting his box up in the air. I had some paperwork I was gonna do real quick IM doing paperowrk on the steering wheel when I hear the truck next to me revv way up and his brakes squeel. I look up straight ahead and see the shadow of his trailer coming over near my truck. I didnt think look right or nothing I grabbed the door handle and dived out of the truck. Turns out he had a big clodd of dirt stuck in the top of his box and he got to rocking the truck and layed it over on my truck. My seat was pinned all the way to the floor (air ride). If id looked or waited about 3 seconds longer id be dead right now. If id even thought about what I was seeing in the shadows or looked to my right id be gone. The worst part of it was my cooler was pinned in the truck too, boss woudlnt buy me a new cooler or lunch that day :Banghead

  14. #14Truckie2007-01-20 21:41

    thejdman04 That is why I never dump side by side.:nono :nono I don’t even like it when Im dumping and someone else backs beside me. I always get on the radio and tell to wait till I am done because you just never know. Dumping tri axels side by side is another story. I never really worried about dumping them side by side the few times I drove them. Glad you and the other guy was not hurt.

  15. #15Ford LT-90002007-01-20 23:19

    A regular dump truck can flip too but you have to be really screwing up to flop a tandem axle dump over. We don't run air ride trucks so its not a common problem but I know air ride dumps you forget to drop the bags the truck can go over.