Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roll over 2.

Truckie · 2007-01-24 14:25

Roll over #2. Same truck and trailer different driver. The trailer was sent out from the last roll over and had a rebuilt scope installed, a new king pin and 5th wheel plate, and new springs. This is it 7 months later.

Replies32
  1. #1Truckie2007-01-24 14:29

    A few more.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2007-01-24 17:32

    Was that light post in the background involved in the incident?

  3. #3Dusty2007-01-24 17:56

    look the truck learned how to roll over and now your mad cause it did its trick again????????

  4. #4Ford LT-90002007-01-24 18:03

    Thats a big tub on that end dump the ones we have here are not that deep also the ones we have here are triaxle probably allot more stable than a tandem.

  5. #5Truckie2007-01-24 19:13

    :bouncegri Everyone who sees that photo asks the same question about the light post. No it was not involved. The truck acutely rolled in side the mill. The guys in the mill did a good job picking the truck using the 75 ton combo crane. It also has a 25 ton host. They used that to pick up the truck and high lift.:yup The first time it rolled it went to the left this time it went to the right. One thing is for sure. When a truck and a trailer rolls over they never for get. The have a damn good memory and like to do it again. The tub trailer on there is 55 yards. The out fit light weighs in at 38,000 lbs. We were actually thinking about putting a air tag on that trailer, but never did. No doubt the extra axel world help. JMH now has a trailer just like this on that is 40 foot long and site on 3 axels. It is called the New Yorker. It is 95 yards.

  6. #6Ford LT-90002007-01-24 21:20

    Demolition trailers get used quite abit for hauling large amounts of lighter weight materials like wood debris. Most scrap yards will unload trucks with the magnets on the cranes they used to unload my 1 ton with a magnet it would lift the 6000lbs off in one pass :bouncegri

  7. #7Countryboy2007-01-24 21:32

    I don't like the magnet "picker uppers". When I haul scrap to the yard with my personal trailer, it never fails that they always drop something on my fenders on the trailer . The trailer is a 6x12 7000 lb tandem and the fenders are just light sheet metal. I understand that stuff happens and they do reimberse me $20 per incident but when you see that one little piece dangling from the string of the other 8 pieces its hooked to, you know its not gonna make it to the pile. Fenders are $70 a piece so it has takes 4 dents to get a new fender .

  8. #8PSDF3502007-01-24 21:45

    Only buy new fenders every 12 dents and you will be making money.:spongebob

  9. #9Countryboy2007-01-24 21:49

    Yeah, I agree.:yup I'm just a little picky about my stuff having scratches and dents ..... Ok, it bugs the crap out of me.

  10. #10Countryboy2007-01-24 23:07

    I'm asking this cause I just don't know . Why don't those long dumps have some outriggers that come out and help stabilize the trailer? Would it not be possible or feasible to have those?

  11. #11Lashlander2007-01-24 23:26

    Ya, training wheels. :thumbsup

  12. #12Countryboy2007-01-24 23:41

    :laugh I wasn't meaning that , but same concept. :yup

  13. #13greywynd2007-01-24 23:49

    What's causing the twist on the tailgate? Did the welds on the left side let go letting it droop? Better retrain that truck, next time it'll end up going over backwards. Mark

  14. #14Truckie2007-01-24 23:52

    The out riggers is a good idea but would not work, because as we dump the scrap out we have to move up. If we were dumping in a pit it would work. Out riggers would be a real pain and kill the light weight. It would help if drivers knew what they were doing and paid attention . It all boils down to a little common since.

  15. #15Truckie2007-01-24 23:57

    It rolled to the right and the right side is bent out of whack. Most of the wields on the tail gate and hinges are bent or broken. We got it back to the yard and put the grapple in the back of it and opened the grapple and that just about straightened it out. Had to redo the tail gate and the hinges. O it gets better I got more. :Banghead :Banghead :crying Just give me some time.

  16. #16Countryboy2007-01-25 00:28

    Alright, that makes sense. I guess I'm just having trouble figuring out why nobody has come up with a way to make them more stable when dumping. :beatsme No comment.

  17. #17Ford LT-90002007-01-25 00:35

    You do know most scrap yards have a policy that if you ruin a tire in their yard they will buy you a new one. Had one of the local guys that used to haul scrap with one of his tandems would always accidently get a flat tire in the scrap yard then they would have to buy a new tire. The yard caught on eventually :laugh The scrap yards in B.C. are mainly run by jewish famillies that have been in the scrap recycling for decades and generations. Companies that my familly deals with has been in business for 50-60 years or more.

  18. #18Truckie2007-01-25 08:43

    Country boy they used to make trailer with twin hoists in them. That made them very stable but added to the light weight with the extra cylinder and extra oil. :yup I have not seen on in operation since I have been driving other than in the roll off truck application and roll off trailers. I will admit I did roll a trailer once.:yup I don’t have any pictures of it sorry. I was slightly over loaded. Legal for 80,000 lbs and I rolled in to the land fill with dirt and gravel from a foundation I weighed in at 120,000 lbs. I know I was young and dumb :yup and it was the end of the day. I learned real quick. I started to dump the trailer and it was up 2 scopes and I herd a loud bang or crack and I saw the trailer started to lean. I hit the lever for the trailer to come down and over she went. The tractor stayed up. The wields on the bottom of the scope broke where the base gets wielded on and you put the pin through to hold it in the frame. 2 weeks before I did mine the bosses brother did the same thing. Hauling heavy and broke the scope the same way. We called the scope company and they came out to take a look see and found the wields to be bad and the metal. They replaced the 2 scopes for free and gave us 2 more free and paid for any material we used in fixing the trailer, all we had to do was pay for the labor. The trailer I rolled was a home made trailer. The frame and the box was all custom made in our shop. A few cross braces got bent and the tail gate was out of whack. 1 week later it was back on the road. When I rolled that trailer I only had 11 months under my belt. I now have 11 years under my belt. once was enough for me. I wish that was true around here.:spaz Here it is if you get a flat tough luck. You should have been watching where you were going. You have to have a pretty good argument and some good proof that it was the scrap companies fault. For the most part the scrap yards I go to and deal with do a very good job at keeping the place clean. If you back in to a water hole or mud hole and get a flat you got a very good chance of getting them to buy your tire. If you are backing down between piles and hit something then it's on you.

  19. #19Truckie2007-01-25 08:47

    Here is am old twin scope trailer.

  20. #20LightningLoader2007-01-25 09:01

    If you got out and down outrigger instead of just downriggers put on there you could put them out and lower w/in 6" of the ground so that they're there just in case, but you can still pull the truck forward. I know what you're saying though. Safety features only work if someone is paying attention enough to use them. That is the eternal problem. All I can say is next driver you hire show him pictures of how scary it is when you roll the truck over and make sure he is thoroughly trained, and maybe he'll be more careful. Training refereshers are a good idea too. People can operate a piece of equipment for years and still be doing things wrong, so going back over it again can never hurt.

  21. #21Electra_Glide2007-01-25 09:03

    Not quite the same, but here's something: http://www.supershowrigs.com/JoshGallery/AtWork/9112006/DSC05079 (Medium).JPG http://www.supershowrigs.com/JoshGallery/AtWork/9112006/DSC05082 (Medium).JPG Truckie, you ever seen this guy down on the island? Based on some comments I saw on another baord by the guy who took these photos, they were taken somewhere here in the Pittsburgh area. Joe

  22. #22LightningLoader2007-01-25 09:12

    now that looks like a decent idea. how do those power down, and are they within legal width for travel when retracted? I'd be concerned about the tires getting punctured dependign on where dumping. Could get metal rollers though I'm sure.

  23. #23Truckie2007-01-25 11:54

    Electra_Glide Those pictures were taken on Neville Island right across the street from the scrap yard I drive for. As soon as I seen the building and the high lift with 2 guys standing together I recognized it. They get those van trucks in all day long with tin can bundles. They break them open sort them and rebail them. They also recycle paper in that facility. I have not seen that system work in person, but I believe the wheels and out rigger are either air or hydraulic operated and tuck back in. For the life of me I cant remember the name of the dang plant. It is in the old AMG plant. They just redid that buildin with new concret, siding and roof.

  24. #24Electra_Glide2007-01-25 12:40

    There's a few more pictures of this setup on this page (at the bottom): http://www.supershowrigs.com/WorkRoadGallery_copy(11).html The wheels do tuck up behind the cab when it's going down the road. Whether it's air or hydraulic, I would auume hydraulic, but you know what they say about people who assume. From what I remember, the guy who took these photos said that they bring in full trailerloads of loose cans to be sorted and bundled. I guess they load the trailer through small doors in the rear using some sort of a blower. Joe

  25. #25Jeff D.2007-01-25 12:57

    I use to haul grain out of the Dakota's with a regular 48' van trailer, which was similair too the box van in EG's links. We'de load it through two hatches in the roof. When I'd get to the elevators to dump they'de have to tip the whole tractor/trailer up on end, on a platform (too about a 45degree angle). It was weird to see the truck tipped up like that. All the weight was resting on the back of the trailer tandems (via plates that flipped up a touched the tires) Nothing else held the truck on the platform. I always wondered if any had gone off the side when they were tipped up. They would say if you forgot to shut your motor off before it went up, it would be shut off when it came back down.

  26. #26LightningLoader2007-01-25 13:11

    they dump the trucks like that at the orange juice plants here. Looks crazy. As far as I know they've never had a truck fall off the ramp or anything.

  27. #27Orchard Ex2007-01-25 13:50

    I remember the first time I went with my uncle to the elevator when we had extra corn from the farm. He was cleaning the junk off of the dash while we waited for the elevator to open, I didn't understand why. That was quite a show for a little kid! :thumbsup

  28. #28cat d92007-01-25 16:55

    I never did see it but the story went around that back in the sixties there was a trailer manufacturer called Keystone, they had a cheesey way of fastening the rear suspension to the trailer and once in a while when stood on end to dump grain in Duluth Mn. the trailer would slid off the suspension and make a bit of a mess, they claimed they had banned Keystone trailers from the dumps at the elevator. When I had one I put Wilson decals on it so they didn't chase me away, dumped many loads from it and never had a problem. Frito-Lay still uses that kind of system to dump chipping potatoes from refer trailers, the plant in Charlotte NC. did the last time I hauled potatoes back in 95.

  29. #29Countryboy2007-01-25 18:54

    Well isn't that convenient. :bouncegri That would work too. Or have the small ones with wheels. It would be just to stabilize and correct minor errors in judgement, not support the whole load. So why don't they have something like that. I think the little bit of lost payload would be worth a little more peace of mind. :yup

  30. #30Truckie2007-01-25 20:12

    Sorry Country Boy. That was back around 95. Did not have or know what a digital camera was then, :spaz plus I was to busy cleaning my under where out.:yup :bouncegri

  31. #31Countryboy2007-01-25 20:16

    Yeah, that was when you had to take a real picture and.......take a deep dreath.....use a scanner.

  32. #32thejdman042007-01-27 19:54

    I wish our junk yard gave us anything for punctured tires or when they bang the manget into your trailer nothing. It gets to the point its not worth it. (most junk yards around here dont clean the drives up at all. Trailers do have a memory. We used to haul grain to corn products in flat bed trailers (w/small sides) and they would lift us up w/the scale (hoist under scale). They hooked one chain on the front of the truck aroudn the front axle (sure wouldnt hold it), and ramps behind your rear trailer tires. They had a few come off. Wont do it anymore. We used to haul grain in and rolls of steel out. I still think thats a better method then a 42 ft dump trailer though (that nose gets awfully high, only little bit of wind to take one of those babys over.