So I slid on sheet ice yesterday morning. Needless to say I never made it to work. Took a hoe and a skidder to get it upright and back home. Crane took a pretty good smack, broke the swing motor I suspect. Few pretty good marks on the body but I think it's repairable. Welder, which only has a hundred hours on it, is buckled from the inertia, it didn't hit anything. And the cab and hood is destroyed. Insurance hasn't opened up yet so I'll be on the phone to them shortly. I'm thinking a cab swap may be my answer to repair it... Anyone have any experience doing cab swaps? Moreso, has anyone put a different cab on truck. Say an FLD cab on an FL80....
Man, I hope you're okay! Before worrying about cab swaps, see what insurance says after the truck gets freed and inspected by a qualified repair shop. You never know true damage until you put it on a lift. I'd also recommend to be checked out by a doctor soon. Adrenaline, anger, and whatnot can mask the damage you did to yourself. Sometimes takes 12-24hrs before you really begin to know what you did to yourself...don't ask me how I know. Really hope insurance comes through for you on this one.
Damn! Glad you are OK and no one else was involved. Ditto on what LCA said - Check yourself first and worry about the truck later. That really sucks, you put alot of work into that truck. See what your insurance has to say.
Before HeavyEquipmentForums
That's a 112 style cab, FLD is a classic cab. Hagerman Salvage in Hermiston Ore. has scads of Freightliner surplus new cabs, doors, hoods--rows of that stuff. They are they #1 surplus yard for Freightliner.
I'm sorry, that stinks. I know you had a lot of time and money invested making the truck you wanted. If it was just a tandem/heavy single I could swap beds to a different truck, faster than swapping the cab. But isn't this the 4x4 truck that you stretched both ends and repowered? I think I would look the frame over pretty close to be sure it's still straight, before making a lot of plans You have a backup truck you can run out of, until you get this fixed?
That really sucks. I know a lot of rural roads and side roads in Alberta are slow to get sanded if ever. I remember pulling my skid steer years ago with my Hino on a road just outside of Sherwood Park. The road looked like a Zamboni had just surfaced it. I made it to a better road but just barely. I didn't dare touch the throttle or brakes for that matter. Really glad no one else was on the road at the time. The crazy weather swings we've had just make the roads a sheet of ice. Really glad you are OK. Hopefully insurance comes through for you.
I will give you $5 for it. I'm sorry to joke but lost the truck in my avatar to a roll over a couple years ago. It was a total loss. Bed and all and almost me. Glad you are OK.
Heal up quick, the soreness will arrive!! Make it an open cab! Swing motor might need a new coupling, while its rolled over, a good time to add some onspot chains! I see the FL's rolling across the auction blocks for short money, should be able to score a cab for a reasonable amount and find a reliable frame shop to check it out, or dig out the sticks and string. Welder might be fine they're usually pretty rugged. more so than the mounting platform Been watching Bendin with Bendon on YT, that guy will fix anything.
At today's costs, I'd see if they would go for a replacement truck.
Thanks guys So the ER checked me over and gave me the all clear. Couple days now and I got off lightly, that's for sure. After a few calls with the adjuster, they are coming to check it out Thursday. Pretty sure they'll put the truck at a total loss. I was planning to haul it to town and have it put on a rack to see if it's bent but they have told me to wait. So we'll see what they say Thursday....
Ship it to Pakistan, or ship in some Pakies, like new in no time. Joe H
That's what matters the most!!! Sorry to hear that but I think that may be good news if they truly account for all your equipment. Best of luck. In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for your truck to circle around and make back in this post: HeavyEquipmentForums
So the adjuster came out yesterday. Seemed like a smart fella. Recognized the axles and powertrain etc.... A glimmer of light for me. He figures he'll ponder it for a week or so before putting a number together. Despite ruling the cab a total loss, he will put a number together for a repair.... Which will be interesting as the cab was discontinued forever ago... To be continued...
Demand a replacement.
I hope they are paying you lost wages while he screws around.
It's a unicorn my friend.
The only 4x4 stuff you see here like your truck, would come from a power utilities company. There's typically bucket trucks around like that, and you would have to strip the box/ bucket and go up from there. Just curious, what's your insurance policy say? I give my insurance company a value for all my equipment, and that's the baseline for the value they would pay me in a loss. Less my deductible.
Sorry to hear about your mishap Simon. I hope you don't have any long-term issues as a result. Was there nothing at that outfit in OR that @Truck Shop mentioned.?
Replacement value would be the best outcome. May not get the exact truck you want but at least get your money back to make you whole. When you hit black ice anything and everything will go South in an instant and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Really glad you weren't injured.
Insurance.... They were real quick to inform me of claim limits on the body and crane etc. no limit on the truck tho. It's being hauled to get out on a rack today so by next week I'll know if it has been tweaked. I'm not expecting a repair figure for a couple weeks but subject to the frame rack I'll be repairing it. I just have to be patient despite wanting to get **** moving.
Any chance they will rent a service truck for you
Never accept the first offer, If they want to play hardball, maybe you know a Lawyer who can write them a letter. And, If they send you partial check or one you think is to low, DO NOT CASH IT.
Have to be careful, it can make ya hard to insure later
Correct. One trick insurance companies use is to send you an agreement of the final claim that looks like a check. If you read the fine print on the 'check', usually the back, it states to something like by cashing this check you agree to the settlement as being final. But if you're happy with the settlement, then by all means go for it. And usually sending all your receipts (with hours you added at a reasonable cost) can help justify a claim. Again, hoping insurance comes through for you on this one.
Getting a second or third appraisal of the damage and loss is a good idea incase some thing(s) were missed and especially if the first appraisal was done by a shop the insurance company requested. I was in an accident that wasn't my fault and the insurance companies appraiser missed several items that needed replacement. Thankfully they agreed with the appraisal I got from a body shop of my choice.
Some years back I had just done a complete out of frame on a C model Cat in a T600. Two weeks later it was laid on it's side west of Boardman Ore I84. Insurance estimator showed up--I handed him a list of parts to repair it with estimated labor, 3 days later I got the OK. Bought a nice used T800 cab & hood plus a matching sleeper and a few other items. Set both cabs on the shop floor side by side and moved all the electrical, gauge panels, HVAC, from the 94 T600 electronic engine'd cab to the 800. 16 hours including setting it back on frame, hitting the key and firing up. By changing it to a T800 the truck gained about $9,000 in value. Insurance covered it all.
What is the major reason the T800 is worth more, a better cab or just the designation?
Were I work a driver rolled a truck . The owner bought it back . I put a cab on it and it went to their farm. I have swapped several pickup cabs in the past. I rolled a pickup and went half way out the drivers window and was pinned under it. I was going to swap its cab when I got out of the hospital for one my brother had but he didn't want me to thought my pickup was cursed . Swapping cabs isn't that bad of a job .
No side fairings, no front air dam, no aerodynamics on a T800.
T800 is like a truck T600 is a like a semi
Glad you are ok.
What would need to be done for the vin on a project like that TS?
I took it to a WSP vin inspector with receipts of parts and photos of wrecked cab. And a Washington State vin number was assigned/attached and stamped to cab door opening. Zero cost, that truck is still in operation for the same company 26 years later. * Only cost was having a updated title issued.
I never would have thought it would be that simple
If you can find a body shop who will repair it right and your insurance company gives them the go ahead, the shop will complete the repair even if it goes over budget. The usual reason for such is the shop finds additional damage not apparent from their initial inspection. Your job is to start looking for comparable vehicles (for sale or sold) so you can push back against a low valuation when the adjuster tells you he wants to total it. That's a specialty vehicle with a price tag to match. The adjuster will quote you a value for an over the road tractor to see if you'll buy off on it. Show them your evidence of a much higher valuation. You should be good to go if the repair is half of replacement. Don't worry it goes over the estimate, it's on your insurance company once the adjuster authorizes the repair.
Same here. Coming up on a renewal and I just valued all our iron's value. Usually I'll take the average for sale and average auction prices off MT, add them together and divide by 2. Gives a decent baseline for establishing value. Interesting side note - 2004 953C track loader increased in value with 6K hours on the clock and a 2011 321DLCR with 8K on the clock decreased. The 321 is getting to the dreaded 8-9K hour mark but still surprised. Both machines are in great shape, bought the 953C new. Simon do you have rental truck coverage in your policy? No clue how insurance policies are written in Canada.
Maybe this is a dumb question, maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier, or maybe it's been too long of a day, but what do you mean by "MT"?
Machinery Trader I'd suspect.
20 years and only 6,000 hours on the 953? You need to get it working more. I try to make the numbers that I give the banker, and the insurance man, and the tax man, all be at least (figuratively speaking) in the same time zone as one another. They may not be within the same zip code.....
Machinery Trader. Good place to get a market snapshot of equipment value. Not perfect but a good starting point.
Lol yeah. It's been at the dump since 2020 so not many hours have been put on the clock. Use the bigger excavators, CTL's and dozer more now due to GPS capabilities.
Machinery Trader. You can get GPS on the new ones. This guy in Aspen went a bit further than that.
If any one is lookimg to buy me a birthday gift the track loader and attachments will do!
If you wire me the money for the shipping, I'll get it on its way to you.
Yeah read about that setup in a SiTech article. May not be the same loader but they had one of the first GPS equipped trackloaders. I'd like to give it a demo.
What if u come pick it up instead
Ohh- this is a limited time opportunity, you better get that money on the way, before this offer expires.
Besides, if he doesn't buy it, I am going to tomorrow morning . . .
A guy i know fell for that for a farm tractor i told him not to send a cent till he laid eys on it he thought minnesota was to far it only cost him 45000
Update Two weeks in and not a murmur from the insurance company. As of Friday the guy who came to assess the damage had not come up with a value on my truck.... I hauled it to a frame shop who straightened it. Was out an inch and a quarter. Not too bad. Got it back in my shop Friday and started tearing the front end apart. I've found and made a deal on a truck up near Edmonton to use as a donor. The cab is wired for a cat so aside from cutting out the bulkhead to suit the C10, should be a direct replacement within reason. Hoping to get that back this week at some point. All being well I figure a couple weeks and I can be back on the road. Kinda. Crane won't be operational till the insurance come through. Welder will work but is buckled pretty good. Only 54hours on it from new.
Going to have to replace the crane, or are parts available at a reasonable cost?
I expect a quote Tuesday but I'm told they were struggling finding parts. I expect it will be a replacement unit.
Insurance is such a ducking sham these days. Can't say I blame you for starting on it yourself.
I kinda thought that would be the case, a lot of the knucklebooms are Italian built, and good parts and support aren't easy to get. Insurance payout should be at the same time frame/ urgency they expect you to pay your monthly bill. But it doesn't work like that.
I’m not sure I would start any repairs until after you get the settlement. To me that’s a good way of screwing you out of money once they know the fixes weren’t that bad. I would also put pressure on them to get you an answer. There is no reason why this is being drug out.
Peeled the rolled cab off today. Went nicely. Weather was the ***** so that's put the brakes on moving forward. Gives me a day to fix the stack and a few other bits that got bent up.
Simon hasn't had a knuckle since he sold his 550. His current truck has a standard mechanics crane.
Somehow I missed that, thanks. I thought he still had a knuckleboom.
Typical insurance company. They take their sweet ass time while working people starve to death waiting on them. I hope you taking this into your own hands doesn't screw you. They love to discount or deny claims when people do this. Good luck my friend.
I suspect that trying to maintain a customer base working out of a pickup for an indefinite amount of time is going to cost more than the potential loss from the insurance company reducing their payout . . . ?
Likely the ins. company is going to try to weasel out of every little thing. So I think I would be after it just like him, its not worth waiting on the ins. company, just as well get it fixed.
VTech with his service truck and the op with a nice pickup should meet half way and switch vehicles then switch back after it's fixed
I hit a deer with my Expedition back in January. The adjuster looked at the truck 3 days after the incident, but it took the insurance company a month to make any decisions. I already had the truck at a shop with parts ordered before they made up their minds they wanted to total it. They gave me an offer with a buy back and I accepted it. Their offer was over 4x what my cost to actually repair it was. I don't understand the economics of their decision. I also didn't have to switch to a salvage title, and they are continuing to insure it since I showed proof that I got the vehicle repaired. I'll never understand how they thought totaling that vehicle was a better decision than just fixing it.
I have a customer who is retired from the insurance industry, he said they are basically happy to pay, they just want to hang on to the money and earn interest as long as possible. And if that results in you giving up and doing your own repairs, that is just a bonus for them.
Been a week or two now since I got the new cab on. Most of the wiring was a direct plug and play. The newer cab had a few differences but essentially it's the same. Straightened out my welder frame... It'll be ok. I plan to replace the crane so that's the last on my agenda to fix. Took a month and a week to get anything out of the insurance company. And when it came it was a joke. Stevie Wonder could have done a better appraisal. But at least my truck is back on the road so I'm making a buck. The ongoing bs from the insurance can go on indefinitely now.
Great you're back in action. I'd be getting as much backup as I could from body shops and equipment suppliers and fight the &$#@! Insurance company. It's not like you planned for your truck to get wrecked.
So, what did the insurance pay? Enquiring minds want to know.
Who has ever had a good experience and felt good, after getting a payout from an insurance company, especially after wrecking something you loved?
If a list of things is written down of things that are very good and very bad insurance would be on that list.
They haven't. The appraisal was a joke. Comparing my truck to grocery vans and bucket trucks. After a week of getting nowhere on the phone I was told to find similar examples online. They didn't listen when I said there wasn't anything... So I've put a big old report together detailing the driveline spec of my truck against anything else out there. I'm told I have a good case against them. We'll see.
A lot of companies and owners have gotten checks from insurance after some building or equipment burned down in the middle of the night, and they felt reasonably good, since coincidentally said property was no longer profitable for some reason.
Why does that not surprise me. Every incident (my homeowners was the worst) I’ve experienced with all insurance companies I’ve had in my life did the same crap. Didn’t cover a lot of what they were supposed to cover……and I got the run around also. They made me do all the dam work in finding comparisons. I’ll name the worst I’ve had because the ******** they put me through was insane and the settements were offensive…….Allstate and Farmers.
And they bend you over when you buy the policy that they never stand behind. I blame people for being greedy and abusing the system for frivolous BS.
For sure all the frivolous claims affect all the legit claims. I think insurance companies always think people are trying to pad the settlement so treat every claim as suspect.
I've never had a claim in my life--because I don't leave things to chance. I don't park where everyone else does, I drive with my eyes on the road not on the phone, I keep trees away from my house, and no weeds to burn. I don't test my policies, but that's just me.
I'm of a similar mindset. Do your best to lower your risk. Even then, **** still happens.
I have two things that I try to avoid--paying interest, because once that happens you are under someone's thumb--the other is insurance and the same rule applies.
What kind of crane are you running? I've a few for parts and know of a handful of other ones in various stages of parts
Generally if you get in a fender bender or something weird happens it's much better to just pay out of pocket than even mention it to your insurance provider. You'd probably pay 4 or 5 times more going through insurance in increased premiums over the next several years. For something major like this truck accident that wasn't necessarily the drivers fault, then the insurance company should treat you fairly provided you haven't had any other claims or at least not in the last 10 years or so. The insurance company would have made a lot of money off you they shouldn't try to cheat you out of a legit claim.
So.... The insurance company is finally ack pedalling. Another independent appraiser has been hired in to do an appraisal. The wait continues for that. Tho it won't be too solid as he won't be inspecting my actual truck. Just information provided. Today's question: Picker cranes. I currently have a Tiger 1062. 2005 model, discontinued 10k lbs Been a solid and reliable unit but has limited reach as the last 4ft is manual so I never use it. Has a broken swing motor and solenoids on the right hand side. Can be repaired and tested for 7-8k. Been quoted a stellar deal for a 1069 27k brand new old stock. Believe it was mounted but never used so removed and put back on the crate. This unit is an 11k lb unit with 29ft reach. "I'm told" my body is rated for 62000lbs and that crane is rated at 75000lbs. Obviously there is a rush of tearing the thing apart but is it a realistic risk I need to actively consider? I'm seeing the max lift is similar to mine, and being honest I have lifted way more than 10k with it. I would imagine the leverage at max reach would be where I would need to be careful? Anyone on here smart enough to know the science to this?
The chart rated capacity for cranes on outriggers is 85%of full capacity. Which can be structural or tipping. I would think most of the truck mounted mechanics cranes would be a structural chart. A post repair "test pick" for cranes is usually at 110% of rated capacity. I.e. the tag rating is 85%. You should be able to safely run to 100%, (15% past the rated chart without hurting anything) and most of them let go/break or tip, at 110-115%. All that said, stellar should give you truck mount requirements, and drawing for any of their mounted cranes. Then there's a procedure for testing after mounting. I've seen weights (steel slabs)added between bed and/or frame rails, for light trucks with too much crane. Mostly when they try to mount a tandem bed, on a single axle truck, and they're trying to make up the weight of the missing axle and wheels.
Is this some kind of "load moment" rating? I'm not sure what these numbers refer to.
Psi tensile strength of the steel they are made of?
Sounds like it's the max. GVW for truck it's mounted on.
That's a screenshot of the spec list for the potential new one. I can't find one for my existing older unit. It reads crane tower and outrigger reinforcement. I'm not sure what it equates to in actual real life restrictions tho. As I said, I've lifted plenty more than what my original crane was rated for and have yet to tear my body apart.
Okay, that's just the structure rating for your outriggers and tower. It has to be able to handle the 75,000 before collapsing. Weight of the truck, plus weight of what you are lifting x safety factor = 75,000 . So that's what they want the body built for. So if your truck weighs 24,000, and you are lifting 10 ton, that can all potentially be on one of the outriggers, acting as a fulcrum/ tetter totter. 44,000lbs all concentrated on the turrent mount and outrigger that its centered over. If your current body is rated for 62, and the requirements for the "new" crane are 75,000, they are going to cover their rears and say "your body isn't rated for the new crane".
But is there a realistic margin for failure? What I'm getting at, is they say the biggest I can mount is an 8500lb unit.... Has a bunch more reach tho. Also is twice the price of the new old stock 1069. Understanding the fact that it may be under rated, would it be ok?
I don't know what the smaller mechanics cranes use for a safety factor. If this was a larger crane, the difference between the 62 that your body is rated for, and them asking for 75- essentially, that is eating up any safety factor. You've already said that you have pushed your old crane way beyond its rating. Do that with the new crane on a underrated body structure, and you risk having a structural body failure. Either the turret or the outriggers. Because you no longer have a safety factor of 15%. Do you want to limit yourself to a 10-15% deduct of the factory rating of the new(er) crane? Because that would give you back the safety margin.
ok its a torque requirement in ft lbs. If your chassis can take 65000, that means 10K lbs at 6.5 feet reach or 6500 lbs at 10 feet reach. and all the other permutations to get to 65000 They don't trust you to do your own math and all the electrical overload protection stuff for the oversized crane isn't calibrated for a weaker chassis, perhaps.
Maybe the higher capacity crane can be derated to suit the truck body? Not sure if the winch is hydraulic or electric but if hydraulic maybe the relief valve can be adjusted.
While I have had a few experiences, some unpleasant, with a bucket truck, I see just a CYA rating and don’t think it will change. They are going to err on the side of safety every time. Not sure you are looking for realistic expectations or the lawyer jargon.
I could live with that. It's not often I lift to max capacity so having the forward understanding of potential limitations, I can think forward to that and conduct myself accordingly. Thanks all. As always, I appreciate the input
Goodbye old friend. You've been great
hello beautiful
Yay, you're back in business. Now you come and help me bleed the darn slave cylinder on my grader. Should have known it would be a beatch.
Almost back in the game.... Need a new outrigger valve, and associated hoses. Sure getting close now. I need to get back at her tho, spent an arm and a leg fixing it all
That's great you are getting close. Any new commissioned/ repair/remount situation cranes I've been around, included a test pick. Manufacturer should give you a procedure. If nothing else, a run to chart before going on a job with a known weight.
Ya, I'll have to do another stability test for sure. The crane being new will fly through the ndt inspection. Last stability I had to do was fairly straightforward. I want to say 130% load at zero degrees fully extended and swing round.
Buy once cry once........ Hopefully
Hopefully insurance was reasonable and didn't stiff you too bad.
Insurance companies don't make the big bucks and build skyscrapers in hartford by paying out
Finally got everything worked out on the crane and all the new hoses routed. New fender on, last thing is the hood but it's ok for now. Everything else is done and repaired. I've spent a small fortune fixing it up but I'm sure happy to have it back. The new crane is so much nicer, especially with the extra reach. Now I need to catch up and get some money back in the bank.