Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Roller kills women

2004F550 ยท 2005-07-27 16:50

This happened today a couple towns northwest of me.... I'll report more when I know more....the article is from the local news station WFSB.......... GOSHEN (AP) -- A New York woman has been killed in a construction accident in Goshen. State police say a construction company was moving equipment from a storage facility to a job site off Route 63 near the Cornwall line when the accident occurred shortly after seven Wednesday morning. Witnesses say the driver of a roller vehicle which is used in road construction, lost control as it headed down a hill. The driver, a 35-year-old woman from Fultonville, New York, was thrown from the vehicle. She was pronounced dead at the scene. (Copyright 2005 by The Asso ciated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Replies2
  1. #1Steve Frazier2005-07-27 19:32

    Sad news. I'm willing to bet a lack of training will be a factor in this. So many think operating a roller is a simple job, but the limitations of the machine are important and can be deadly when exceeded. My guess is one of two things happened: The incline was too steep and the roller lost traction and skidded down the hill or The roller freewheeled on the hill, the operator panicked and couldn't regain control of the machine. I've seen both happen before, but luckily no one was hurt in those cases. 2004F550, where are you located? Goshen is only about 45 minutes from me, SW.

  2. #22004F5502005-07-28 18:51

    The company was Gorman and it was an old Hyster tire roller being driven to a chip sealing operation..I live in Canton....about 25 min from Goshen