I have an old TD6-62 with a D282 that I built out of 2 machines that I got all in pieces… somebody was putting the tracks and clutches from one into the other then he died. Anyway when I start it up it rolls whiteish diesel smoke for a minute or two. Then it will cough and sputter and clear up. And run pretty clean as long as it is warm and working. I took the IH midget injectors out and lapped the pintels to stop leakage and shimmed the springs to raise pressure and pop tested them all. Now I am going to take the roosa master DB injection pump off and replace the metering valve and gov drive coupling and transfer pump vanes. I hear a lot of people say that these old 282 like to crack heads, but I never lose any coolant and no bubbles come out of the radiator when it is running so I don’t think that is it. Does anybody know what would make a diesel smoke like that during start up?
Just a few guesses. Maybe because it's a diesel and it's old as the hills??? Possibly timing? or especially if its aluminum pistons, the compression can improve as the pistons warm up. What's the compression cold? Sorry, nothing helpful here.
If your machine has the two step starting linkage on the throttle control then that is how they were even when new.
it is like a 1962. what is the "two step starting linkage "? it is a direct start diesel, not a gas start if thats what you mean.
here it is smokeing cold and a one running warmed up after i got it all put together
wouldnt worry. looks like she runs like a top
Had the same issue on a DT466 before and after an engine swap and before and after injectors were rebuilt. The only constant was the pump. However, what did make a difference was the starting procedure. If starting from a cold start with the throttle at full shut-off, pressing the starter button then pulling back quickly to the first notch while the engine is spinning, she starts up faster and cleaner (no smoke or vibration) than a japanese import. This goes for temps even at freezing. But if the throttle is at the first notch or higher when the starter button is pressed then she has a hard time starting and will cough and billow white smoke for a good 10-15 seconds until it smooths no matter the ambient temp. After the engine is warm, it doesn't seem to matter where the throttle is when starting. Don't know if this would make a difference for you. Might try experimenting. I'm sure there's a technical reason, but as everybody has said, it seems mostly normal for a diesel.
this should be because your are moving the fuel rack from "no fuel" to "full fuel" slowly while its turning over. this should only be the case for a variable speed gov and i say this because most variable speed govs are in the full fuel position during startup and alot of times that will make the engine blubber untill it gets up to the governed speed. by starting it the way you describe you are keeping the gov from starting in full fuel "a good practice to get into IMO". This being said, I only have experience to back this up. I have 2 pieces of equipment(D8H and John Deere 790D) that do this to a "T"
Highly doubt there's an issue if its only for a minute or two when cold. That's normal for older mechanical engines. Even newer electronic ones will smoke white at startup if its at or below freezing because there isn't enough heat in the cylinders for proper ignition.
I think Delmer asked the right questions..Timing, compression, ever seen a cold Detroit in the A.M.?? When you tested the injectors, did you hold them 200psi UNDER opening pressure and check for drips?[leakage] almost looks like fuel ontop of pistons, burning off.. That being said..when its warm it looks good AT IDLE..WHAT ABOUT FULL?? black smoke, then clears up?
The two step throttle setting are pretty simple. When the lever is all the way down the throttle is off. You move the throttle to a first position notch that is deeper to the side than the regular throttle ratchet teeth. You turn the engine over in the start position and when you hear a pop or two you quickly put the throttle on the regular ratchet teeth and all the cylinders catch. It will smoke white for a few minutes or more. You also have to give those engines plenty of warm up time. They were susceptible to cracking if heavy loads are put to the engine too soon.
yes that is how I did them, (I have no experience with this stuff I am just a backyard mechanic) but anyway I built a tester out of my porta power pump filled with diesel and put the injector into a mason jar. I leak tested them like you say and some I had to lap to get to stop dripping. They didn't pop real clean and easy. I sort of had to pump up to pressure and then bump the handle to get them to pop. Otherwise they would just go to dribbling before popping. Then a few months later I am feeling confident and a little more experienced so I rebuilt the DB pump on my case 188 diesel, and bought brand new CAV injectors for it. I pop tested the old ones then did the new ones to set the pressure with the little set screw on top. Wow! What a difference! Those new injectors get up to pressure then just pop. No bumping the handle or dribbling at all. Makes me wonder if those old IH injectors were any good at all. Maybe new stuff is just designed better. As far as black smoke? Well I haven’t really seen much of that. The gov doesn’t seem to respond like it should. You just sort of set the throttle lever where you want and it runs there. Then when you apply a load the engine slows down. I know the roosa master pumps had problems with the gov weight drive coupling so that is why I figure it is due for a look inside
That black dog dosent look too impressed with the way its sounding apparently.
HA HA, thats banjo. he dosen't like my antics. he usually spends most of his time scouting for good places to lay to trip my wife.
Ahh, the auto full fuel at startup explains all the smoke and hesitation on our engine when starting with throttle at idle. We use the "none to full fuel" startup all the time now and seems a lot easier on the batteries and starter. Gus, great looking TD6. Looks like you no longer working it at night.