Hey im looking at a job its removing 20 acres of slash pine stumps in central Florida they were planted in rows the trees were harvested lots and lots of stumps all in strait lines, each is about 8' apart from each other. this will be used for a horse boarding farm. I was thinking of making a root plow off my rear ripper as a new one would cost 70,000, idea came from watching video of Savanna model 925 on you tube. these stumps are 10" to 15" in diameter the soil is white color sandy dirt and yellow clay at 2' depth. my other thought was the fleco rock-root rake on front of the d8k I have worked in south Florida clearing,earthmoving,demolition but had no yellow clay just muck and rock. will these slash pine stumps come out easy maybe i should use a d6r im just trying to be simple 1 machine for the task as the land will need graded too.
20 acres doesn't seem like that much. Renting an excavator (preferably with a thumb) might be the easiest and simplest way to get them out.
Yair . . . Wish I still had my old photos. Cheap and nasty cutter bar for a one off job would be to weld a piece of (say) 12"x2" assab or whatever between the two outside ripper boots. Best photo I can find quickly is here . . . angle of attack whatever looks right, I think about thirty degrees. In the picture they have the boots welded to the top of the cutter . . . I used to weld to the front/top to (theoretically) take some of the load off the welds.
I have used 2 large machines (D9) with a ship anchor chain between them to roll stumps out. But those were 45 year old plum trees with 20" stumps and huge rootballs.
Assuming the ground will support a dozer ..... I like to use a dozer with a sharp K/G blade , that's my favorite tool for jobs like that . We picked that blade up at an auction for $ 1,500.00 . I like easy decisions and hackin trees & bustin stumps . HeavyEquipmentForums http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2647&viewfull=1#post2647 If it's soft & swampy ground where the dozer would have trouble would go with an excavator . Slash pine . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_elliottii
As you say Scrub, cheap and nasty, but perfectly adequate if one is only doing twenty acres. If contemplating much larger areas, a single tine cutterbar would be a far better option. Timber and root balls can bridge the two tine version, leading to all manner of bad language.
i would get a 320 or 330 cat hoe with a thumb and get the job done and you can stack the stumps in nice big tall piles for burning
Yair . . . Gotcha Queenslander. Clearance on some of that Savannah gear looks a little tight. Those single tine units you show would be the ducks guts. I never did get to run flash gear like that . . . with a four barrel I imagine you could dial them in a treat. Cheers.
Damn you boys get all the neat toys!
I own a 600 excavator thats got a 6.5 yd bucket and a 345cl vg with 5.14 yd rockland bucket they would dig them out with ease, but they are not going to grade the site very well when finished or in a timely manner i can cut blue tops with this old 8k it even has trimble gps on it its a super nice tractor. plus it cost a fortune to move machines wider than 11' as each state will require escorts. in illinois i can move the d9h with ripper and blade on it and no escorts. the dozer is a better all around machine to do all the task plus the stumps will be moved at least 300ft in a long wind row maybe 2 wind rows one on each side of the rock lane cutting thru the property, then the large grapple trucks can get to them if it rains as im selling them for $60.00 per ton and the dump off is only 1.5 hrs away. i do have a 4 barrel ripper and yes those single tines look to be a very nice easy set up. probably what i need stick it in the ripper shank slot. That is one bad 6r i have a 6r lgp my main machine for site work.
I'm confused? You've got several large machines and you're asking what would be the best way to do your project.
Yeah Dave , My understanding is fiat41b works out of Illinois & has a prospective job in Florida and is asking opinions on equipment & how to best deal with the pine stumps . Damn ...... After this early "polar vortex " bustin pine stumps in Florida sure sounds nice ! Makes me want to load the 16 & head south for the winter . Be like a paid vacation .
If the footing is solid , I'd get a 963 but that's just me. Pop the stumps and carry them to the pile. You won't have to fight them trying to roll and such. That's why they use to call them traxcavators. Best of both worlds.
My vote is for this. I have been considering building one. As an added bonus, when it is not in use you can turn it over and have a swweeeeet tail fin for your dozer.
Yes i live in Illinois but i have very close friends in Florida (like family) racing buddies so i have a place to stay and Hang out a bit i worked and stayed in south Florida during the winters when i was younger Miami/Fort lauderdale area. Thats why i only want to take a dozer. i got a price to move it 5400. plus escorts and permits just for d6r not the 8k but the eight has a rake too and i can haul it on the bobcat trailer. its the width of anything over 11ft thru ky.tenn.ga.fl. can move a d9h with ripper in illinois no problem. I still race motorcycles old Harleys with the Hollingsworths out of St. Augustine at Daytona, West Palm Beach, Savannah Ga. ect. most of my jobs are tied up with permits or need finish grading not good weather for that. and at the present no coal mine work hopefully that will change.
5400 one way or round trip? If that's one way I'd seriously consider a rental. But you probably have considered this. I can't see rooting these stumps being to tough but again I've never worked that area. Wonder if there is the option to rent a 963 and what the rate would be?
Yair . . . Slash pine in sand (as far as I recall) would be fairly easy digging. Many years ago when proper hydraulic drive excavators first came onto the scene I saw a feller taking out a grove of orange tree stumps by digging and dumping them onto a mat (say, from memory) thirty feet square made from bolted together sections of heavy conveyor belt. When he had it piled high he grabbed the chain hitch with a tooth, rattled it out to the headland, tipped it rinse and repeat. Cheers.
$60 a ton. Who do you sell this to? My neighbor will soon be stumping some of his property.
one way,and my friend bob did ck on rent i think he said around 24,000 for a 8t a d7 like 18,000 and a d6t 14,000 unless someone was being crazy at Ring Power Cat dealer. We are still not for sure if we will get the job, and not going to work just to be working, my price was not that bad, i think the owner which is a ass calls himself the wild caveman lol. and his wife she is pleasant. they are wanting this for boarding horses horse farm they sold the timber off and are now left with a mess of stumps at ground level and cant believe the prices from a few contractors. The stumps have to be slash pine or long leaf pine a place in georgia and the project was only 1.5 hrs from the stump dump off, good luck, the stumps need to be big enough and old enough to be worth anything i hope you are from the southern half of Alabama slash pines are more in the south and go to New Orleans pm me and i will get you some info.
From what I've read on other forums and experienced myself a lot of people with horses are the absolute worst to deal with whether doing work or selling hay. I was doing some skid steer work at an MX track when a guy on a nearby farm drove up and asked if I could clean up a coral for him. He was really insistent that I came over right away to look at what he wanted done. Then he's telling me he was on the Canadian team, blah, blah, blah. I went and cleaned his coral. Then he expected me to spread the sod and lumps and manure and everything like it was top soil, on a low spot on his lawn. Sorry can't be done with chunks of sod, manure and straw! I did a good job levelling out his coral but then he complained I took too much material and he just wanted the manure taken off. Now it's too low and water will collect. Of course this was after I had finished the job. I took the manure off down to solid ground and levelled the area out. I know there are some good horse people but I would have to agree with what other's have said dealing with horse people. Be leery and expect that they will want to dicker on price, especially if the job isn't exactly as they envisioned it which may not be possible.
Horse people are something else. I think a lot of them are they way they are financially because they all get in the business thinking there are fortunes to be made and find out rather quickly that it's not that way. I worked for a hunter/jumper boarding and training facility in high school. Still am very close to the owner. Learned a TON about that business. Very capital intense and cashflow doesn't mean profit. Much like movin dirt. Everybody is an expert in the horse business but most hardly know the front from the back! Haha
Damn if this didn't hit home , I did a job in the spring for some folks doing dressage with horses. Leveled 180' x 240' that was 6' out on the deep end. My bill was 5700$. I heard a lot of whining , a lot. They had lots of work to do but called others which was fine , they're money they're land. I do know when the barn was built the lower tin had 1" or less gap all the way around it and that is pretty good in my book. I ran into the owner at Lowes one night , he couldn't get away fast enough. If this were up to me after all this , I'd bid it to make good money and if its a no go feel you've been blessed.