I think I've seen this system mentioned on here and just saw this website. Looks like an awesome way to move RT cranes. I even wonder if it would beat a 70-80 ton truck crane on ease of moving the crane. If you could leave the weights on the crane it would only take one rig rather then a truck crane with a separate truck just for counterweights. Probably wouldn't make sense for a quickset. I think I'd like to have one of those tho. http://www.greenfieldpi.com/rt-transport/
Cool, a schnagel for cranes! Necessity is the mother of invention!
This is a great invention. The huge extra plus of this system is that the crane can be used 5 minutes after arriving to the job site if the truck can get to its intended location. What you are getting is a crane that is both a truck crane as well as RT. Very nice. PS I also sometimes used the crane without driving off the semi trailer. I just build cribbing under the outriggers so that the crane can rise above my semi trailer and I just use it there. Saves a lot of nervous driving getting the crane off and on the trailer.
There is a crane company in Minnesota that has had hydraulic all terrain rigs that transported like that at least 6 to 7 years ago. They worked a lot in the precast setting industry and had 75 to 90 ton rigs. Nice setup and the crane operator could take the tractor easily to the motel. Edit, taking another look at this system compared to the MN company, the ones by the company we used did not have the ability to connect the trailer halves. They just pinned on each end of the RT with the outriggers still down, set it down to the fifth wheel height, and backed under. Lighting and brakes were quick connect.
Nelson Trailer in Ohio has been building these for quite some time now
Since moving a crane is not at all an easy job. So think twice before hiring anyone. A few days ago a friend of mine purchased a crane. He took the help of guys from a transport company. According to him, those guys were true professionals and had given the best transportation service. One can browse around this website for the guys for moving cranes.
My old boss had a set up like this for a 70's rt. I think his dad and him built it back when the crane was new. We only used it once when I worked there, but I remember it not being that hard to put on. I just got a rt this winter, we've been using it quite a bit, but I have to have a double drop lowboy (another contractor) haul it for me. He's great about getting to me, but when I get a emergency call, I can't just go. I've thought about building my own, there's a bunch of used halliburton stuff floating around, made for hauling oilfield equipment, just basically like rail trailers. I've been thinking about taking one of them, chopping it just behind the landing gear, and just in front of the axles. I think I'd like triples on the rear, my permits would be cheaper. I know it would help with gross weight- I wouldn't have to haul around a extra 15,000lbs of double drop weight. And I could get my height down a little. Also my hauler drags that double drop all the time (high centers), we haven't hung it up hard anywhere yet, but I think its a matter of time. With it on that type of set up, if my crane brakes are relased, it should just roll on over the high points. All the used lowboys I look at are $30,000 at least and beat to pieces. Driving a 70,000 lb rubber tired machine on and off a lowboy with muddy tires on a sloped road isn't for the faint of heart either, I think this would be safer over time loading. The downside is I don't think I could get it all hooked and unhooked by myself, I think I could with a double drop.