Just purchased a 95 Freightliner water truck at auction and realized after I bought it that it has no Reverse. I have to go pick it up 8 hrs away and want to drive it home. Any way this is something that can be fixed with out removing trans? Unfamiliar with this transmission and worried I might do more damage by driving it. Online info for this trans is limited. Thanks in advance for any help.
Chilliwack?
Yes
I missed out on a couple things there today also. For some reason I will not exceed my limit even though it is still a good deal.
Does it have Lo,Lo?
If you have no reverse there is a chance the snap ring at the rear of the main broke or the rear main shaft support bearing is failing. The is a blocking washer that locks the reverse gear in place but it all depends on the snap ring. There is also a main shaft key that holds all blocking washers in place-more than likely it has a triangular key early style and those are known to break allowing blocking washer and gears to move fore and aft. If they move too far it's lock up time. Below is a photo of a front section-to remove main shaft and gear cluster the idler gear removed, top counter shaft bearings removed and counter shaft rolled to the side and blocked. the auxiliary drive gear, limit washer, blocking washer snap ring removed then slide reverse gear ahead to LO gear and lift from case. Personally I would do a little more checking before driving-like pull the drain plug and listen for metal hitting the drain pan.
In the photo of the main gear cluster on end-the gear at the top is reverse, then low gear, then first. when installed in case reverse is slid back against that blocking washer and a snap ring installed in gear to hold it in place on shaft.
Thanks for all the help, might just get it shipped on deck and fix when home. Truck is only going to get used to go 2 kms once or twice a month in summer to fill a cistern and water some dusty roads.