Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rubber Vibration Isolators That Actually Last?

Birken Vogt · 2016-11-04 23:21

In the generator business I come across a fair amount of circuit boards and other electronic parts mounted on the little rubber feet that have threaded studs poking out of both ends, 1/4" or smaller. The ones I come across all seem to rot and fall apart within a few years. Where can I find ones that are any good?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2016-11-05 02:30

    I'm thinking urethane: http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Store.asp?Page=Products1.htm

  2. #2joispoi2016-11-05 03:55

    Urethane will last longer, but it's harder than rubber and doesn't absorb as much vibration.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2016-11-05 11:29

    Thanks for the link. I think silicone might be the ticket. Do you guys agree? Nice and soft and it doesn't rot like rubber. I will email those people and see what they have to say.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2016-11-05 18:50

    You might want to try a combination. The amish can't use air tires, so they use rubber belting supported wheels. JD zero turn lawnmowers use something similar... I am not a salesman for Michelin or JD, far from it... But this is just a cool concept: https://youtu.be/CN4AjfoiZPQ :drinkup

  5. #5Birken Vogt2016-11-05 20:39

    I doubt I will find one small enough for a 1/4 or #10 stud, but a neat idea.

  6. #6jim-in-so-ore2016-11-06 00:13

    We get what you are referring to from our local Freightliner dealer, I think that they are used as mounts for the radiator shrouds on the trucks. We use them as motor mounts on a water tank for fire suppression. They seam to hold up quite well. Jim

  7. #7Scrub Puller2016-11-06 01:06

    Yair . . . A boat I worked on had a Calleson diesel and was plagued by every type of vibration known. Things just fell apart until we found a particular style of mount that used a series of stainless/spring steel wires to absorb the vibration instead of the standard rubber/neoprene style of things. They were available in a whole range of sizes and ratings were governed by the number and thickness of the wires in most applications they were available as straight replacements. I have no idea what they were called but a google search might find them. This was along time ago of course but the things were so good they must still be out there some where. Cheers,

  8. #8RMXR2016-11-06 03:04

    Try the aircraft industry suppliers; used a lot to mount sensitive avionics components.

  9. #9Jim D2016-11-06 21:09

    Aircraft products are probably your best option. The isolation mounts with rubber vulcanized between two round plates with studs on them always come apart. I don't know of any urethane things like that. What I've done to substitute for them is to drill a larger hole in the base and put a rubber "well nut" in the base, put two *thick* rubber washers, one behind and one in front of the board, and a fender washer over the front rubber washer, to isolate a PLC board. It works well for the number 10 and 1/4 size things. The "well nut" lets you adjust the tightness of the whole thing without allowing the screw to vibrate loose. If you can't find thick rubber washers, short pieces of small rubber hose work well: Rubber hose without fiber braid.