Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Runaway roller

mountainguyed67 ยท 2017-06-15 16:40
Replies16
  1. #1crane operator2017-06-15 18:50

    who else thought "dear lord, I hope he doesn't catch that thing,--- let it go buddy". I sure didn't want to see it run over him as he tried to get in it.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2017-06-15 19:13

    At least it stayed upright.

  3. #3digger242j2017-06-15 20:58

    The guy should be on their Olympic team...

  4. #4Junkyard2017-06-15 23:20

    He was on pace to run a 4 minute mile!

  5. #5Birken Vogt2017-06-16 00:45

    That sprint reminds me of the wisecrack "don't bother running, you'll only die tired."

  6. #6mountainguyed672017-06-16 14:27

    Yeah, I don't think he could have gotten in it.

  7. #7Jim D2017-06-16 18:54

    A least it's not a bad outcome.

  8. #8mountainguyed672017-06-16 20:52

    Yeah, no cars flattened, roller not damaged. By the way, I was a roller operator in the Army in the eighties, nine wheel, tandem steel wheel, also trained on a vibratory, but they didn't have them in my platoon in Germany.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2017-06-17 19:34

    I was also glad to see he did not catch up. I would have hated to see video of that. I was surprised it stayed on its feet going off the side like it did.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2017-06-18 13:25

    Some days folks get real lucky. Just most of us don't remember them lessons as well as the ones that ended bad.

  11. #1192U 34062017-06-18 14:27

    Adrenaline can make the human body do crazy things. Bet he crashed hard after that sprint.

  12. #12Bls repair2017-06-24 15:25

    The guy in the truck didn't seem to be in a hurry to catch it

  13. #13mountainguyed672017-06-29 18:05

    He was staying safely uphill.

  14. #14John C.2017-07-01 11:24

    I can't for the life of me understand how that roller could free wheel like that? I've worked on my share of them and with all the gear reductions and the hydraulic system oil those motors would have to move I could only conclude something in the drum or axle drive had to have broken. I'm thinking the machine had something wrong when it was stopped.

  15. #15Bls repair2017-07-01 15:43

    Sometime when switching between hi low gear trans can go into neutral .If left running while shifting the breaks can remain off to freewheel

  16. #16John C.2017-07-01 20:23

    I suppose that is true but no one was on the roller when it took off. Do you think the operator kicked the transmission in neutral when he got off the machine?