Let me start off by saying that my knowledge of hydraulics is very limited. I have a bobcat 442 that is plumbed with auxiliary hydraulics. I currently have a hydraulic thumb and have an additional set of remotes along with what i am pretty sure is a large case drain line. I would love to have a commercially made mulcher or brush hog specially made for excavators but the budget isn't there for that. I do however have a couple of old tractor 540 pto bush hogs I would like to convert to run off the excavator so we can mow pond banks and other hard to reach areas. I would like to add a hydraulic motor to the existing bush hog to turn the factory pto gearbox. My specs on my machine say the auxiliary system has a max working pressure of 4,060 psi and a flow (adjustable) maximum 26.4 gpm. Can someone help me figure out what I would need in the way of a pump and cushion valving to make a working system that won't harm my machine? I am really just looking for a little education so I can get this designed. I am not expecting the performance of a commercially available unit but I would like it to be able to knock down thick brush. I have found a few motors that might work but the psi ratings are usually only 2500-3500. Can I lower my psi on my auxiliary to be able to use a lower psi motor?
Good day May I say you are going the correct direction establish what you have and then what you need to get the correct result, you know what flow you have this would be relative to the speed you need the motor to run (Choose the largest motor for the required speed). If you are completely lost take a look similar products - which machines they recommend - I suggest it may be an idea to approach such an outfit ask if they could give you hydraulic schematic no doubt you would need a replenishing / relief circuit and most motors. If you intend to use the thumb at the same time you would need a separate circuit if not it may be adaptable. Be aware of the weight of the device to heavy it may result in control issues, the flow you give could be implemented on another circuit for example swing or slew may slow while you are working the Hog. It certainly may prove a challenging project hope the comments help. Kind regards Uffex
Good day Not a recommendation but it may be helpful Kind regards Uffex
Opps paste not working
I was wondering how you liked that Bobcat 442, I've seen one for sale locally I was thinking of making an offer on it...
Good day Our best advice is to inspect the machine with care and take your time, Bobcat machine appear to have a reasonable following and most spare parts are available on the open market. Attached is some sound advice I hope you find it helpful if you are in need of an inspection form these are free to download from the Excatech site. Kind regards Uffex
That 442 is sort of interesting because it is actually a Scheaff? Excavator rebranded as a bobcat. The motor they used seems to be an oil cooled deutz..
Good day CS That according to our information is indeed Deutz well excepted in Europe reliable, we do not have any reports of issues. Kind regards Uffex
Hi did you ever modify a mower for your excavator? How did it work out?