I have a Cat 246 with some type of oil (can't tell if it's engine or hydraulic) leak. I am wanting to investigate the source of the leak with the engine running and the hydraulic system exposed under the cab (I'm not seeing oil coming from the engine). I haven't tried to start/run the engine with the cab tilted yet - but I am assuming it's possible? Are there any specific safety issues I need to be aware of before doing this? And, is there a safe way to operate the hydraulics with the cab tilted?
Running the engine with the cab up is easy enough, just start the engine then lift the cab. The charge pressure system will be operating and you may find your leak. Operating the hydraulics with the cab raised is more of a problem. It is dangerous and it is not recommended, but here's how to do it if you need to. Start the engine, open the RH window, get out of the cab, lower the arm bar, close the door and lift the cab. Unplug the seat sensor connector from under the cab and bridge the two pins in the harness connector with a jumper wire. Reach in through the open window with a long stick and push the park brake switch. The machine should now be operational. Move the joysticks and things will happen, please be very careful. When you need to disable the hydraulics, pull the jumper wire from the seat connector.
I agree but I add the safety lanyard from an outboard motor to the jumper wire so that if anything goes pear shaped I just have to move quickly and the jumper will be removed
It's always a good idea to raise the machine with wheels off the ground & resting on stands or timber blocks.