Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rust control on Honda ATV

Legdoc ยท 2025-11-27 08:30

Happy Thanksgiving from South Texas! It's a cool 47 degrees at 7:00 AM. I have two Honda 4x4's that are 10 years old and in need of deep maintenance. I.E. pull all the plastic, pressure wash, change all fluids... Both frames have quite a bit of rust. I do not want to do a complete disassembly, blast and properly paint at this time. So my question is what is my best options? Coat the frame with Ospho, Corrosion X? Both machines are used in a dusty environment. By the way Honda does a lousy job of painting with no primer. probably a typical crap powder coat. RECOMENDATIONS ARE APPRECIATED!

Replies10
  1. #1ianjoub2025-11-27 09:07

    Ospho will work, but you would want to paint over it after it dries. Brush what you can see. So little of the frame is seen when assembled, and it will spend most of its time dirty, so a brush job won't make it look bad. I assume you know, but be careful not to blow water and dirt into the suspension bearings.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-11-28 00:37

    I'd just sand what you can and hit it with a spray can. Maybe use primer first. They aren't likely to become rare collectable quads. If they're used the paint will get scraped and sand blasted by what you drive in.

  3. #3chidog2025-11-28 10:48

    Yup power coat is the worse paint ever. It likes to turn back into micro plastic powder when under the sun for some years. And all the screaming about micro plastics, just wow.

  4. #4Legdoc2025-11-29 21:19

    I appreciate all the recommendations. I'll do a partial disassembly to access the bad areas, brush, prime and paint. IMHO I have never seen a powder coat job that held up. Years ago I purchased a new PJ 27+5 TD gooseneck. The dealer advised me to wait 3 months to order as the powder coated units were coming and was going to be a game changer. Well 2 years later it had paint peeling the size of dollar bills. I think the only thing good about production PC is the very low VOC emissions for the manufacturer. A custom PC with blasting might be ok. I don't know. My experience was to always use a primer.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-11-29 23:01

    I wouldn't trust anything PJ said. I know a trailer shop that was a PJ dealer for a few years. They were getting lots of complaints about the paint not lasting at also and PJ wouldn't warranty it so they would as a good business practice They found out PJ doesn't use primer. When customers asked why the paint didn't last they were honest and said PJ doesn't use primer. Some went right to PJ to complain. Then PJ gets mad at the trailer shop for telling people/customers that PJ doesn't use primer. They told PJ where to go. The trailer shop has since went back to manufacturing their own trailers. Their trailers are sandblasted, primered and painted with full warranty but they rarely need warranty on the paint or anything else. Just really well built trailers by people who care about what they're doing.

  6. #6Legdoc2025-11-29 23:52

    I think PJ is in the same category as Big Tex and others that were swallowed up by larger companies.

  7. #7dayexco2026-03-18 18:31

    to give me something to do in retired life, i bought a 300 watt pulse laser. it works GREAT removing paint/rust from metals, varnishes/paint from woods. beauty of it is....there's no sandblasting mess to clean up, no caustic chemicals to work with. might want to see if somebody in the area has a laser. we winter in port aransas, tx....love it there.

  8. #8chidog2026-03-22 12:50

    And what is the cost of one of those? What do you use for eye protection?

  9. #9dayexco2026-03-22 16:16

    i have just shy of $8k. they came with several pair of what appear to be throwaway sunglasses. i've been just wearing my cutting torch tinted face shield, works great.

  10. #10HarleyHappy2026-03-23 10:30

    That will take some hair off!