Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rut mfg brush cutters

Orest Anhel ยท 2021-02-27 02:43

Considering a Rut mfg Tree Slayer or Brush Eliminator excavator brush cutter for my Yanmar vio35-3. Primary use would be cleaning fence line and trail maintenance mowing grass and willows to 2 inches with occasional stems to 4 inch. Anybody here have personal experience with these units on <50 size excavators?

Replies14
  1. #1Mark132021-02-27 22:06

    I have the 36" disc mulcher on my Tak TB260. I can't comment about the cutter models you're looking at but so far mine seems pretty well built and does the job I need it to given the price point. I'm sure they'll be plenty capable of doing the work you're needing.

  2. #2LawnDart2021-06-30 21:48

    Hello OP, did you go for a Rut Mfg cutter? I am curious about those two as well.

  3. #3code542021-07-06 20:25

    Anyone else get a RUT and what do you think of it?

  4. #4Thorholt2021-07-08 14:27

    Yes, I put one on my Kubota U35 yesterday, the cutter is excellent, I am having Kubota problems though, Thats why I am looking here.

  5. #5code542021-07-08 20:54

    Look forward to hearing the solution (saw the other thread). I put in an order today on a mower so I will be having to figure out how to set one up myself. Good luck

  6. #6LawnDart2021-07-12 12:30

    Which cutter did you go for?

  7. #7Thorholt2021-07-12 23:13

    I bought the Tree Slayer 36" with the mulching teeth, The cutter is awesome! I am clearing a building site that is woods and has a bunch of mature oak trees with a lot of smaller growth under and between them, I am using it to clear the small brush and trees while leaving the mature trees alone. It cuts off 3"-4" trees no problem but I will need to drag them out of the woods to dispose as mulching them up just takes too long with the cutter, I still haven't figured out the arm issue but have found that it will extend when the cutter is loaded hard while cutting, The Kubota dealer gave me a idea to try the next time I use it, It has been 90 degrees for the past few days here so waiting for cooler weather.

  8. #8LawnDart2021-07-13 21:28

    Hmm, I have a KX040 and was thinking it might be a bit heavy at full reach. I was considering that same cutter but without the mulching teeth.

  9. #9Iscott192023-08-22 19:28

    Anyone have any experience with rut disc mulcher pros and cons over the tree slayer on a 35 size machine

  10. #10LawnDart2023-08-22 19:45

    I bought one this spring for a KX057. I have been very happy with the performance on 4" and below eastern red cedars. Bigger trees it takes some finesse to trim the trunk a bit at a time. I have about 40 hrs on mine and cannot detect any real wear on the carbide teeth. I have not run into any rocks but have ground up plenty of grounded limbs. Anything over a 6" trunk I just limb the tree and cut what I can off the trunk. Then just hit it with a chain saw. Trying to saw it with the edge of the cutter only gets about 2" before the guard hits. Its possible to work on the trunk to do it with the cutter, but a chain saw is way faster and uses a lot less fuel. This thing is built like a tank. So far I have no cons to mention. As for weight, its perfect for a 5 ton machine. Never seems overweight even at full extension over the side. I have very happy with my purchase.

  11. #11Legdoc2023-08-22 20:05

    Not to hijack this thread. Can you elaborate on the U-35 problems? I am considering one.

  12. #12Iscott192023-08-22 20:19

    Which one did you buy

  13. #13LawnDart2023-08-22 20:22

    I think the key with most mini's is having multiple pumps and a case drain. I know some models with bypass the return line to the tank if set up right. I have seen some that have lose rpms while raising the boom. There is a youtube guy, JeremyReberPureDirt that runs a mulcher on his KX040. He has good commentary while using his mulcher. Iscott, I have the 36" mini disk mulcher.

  14. #14Jbullfrog2023-11-11 18:44

    Who has used a Rut Mower on their 5 ton machine? They are only 2 hoses and say you need to run them with the hydraulics set for one way or hammer. We have 6 miles of electric fence around pastures and dad currently walks all of it with a string trimmer.