I have a 2014 john deere 35g and wondering if anyone had insight on Rut's Disk Mulcher Vs Tree slayer. Leaning towards tree slayer. i had reached out to RUT for pros and cons for each and just got a general response that both will fit on the machine.
I'm interested in this and also how they compare to a flail with hammer teeth.
I went with the Tree Slayer. The 2 main reasons were that it is wider than the mulcher and there are a lot of rocks on/in the ground here and that would ruin the mulching teeth if I got too close to the ground. I use it for brush cutting the sides of ponds, making and maintaining trails and cutting over hanging branches by field edges etc. It works really well. I assume that you have a cab on your machine? I don't have the plexiglass but am considering it. It will throw debris towards the cab, mostly from it ricocheting in my experience. Scares the crap out of me sometimes, lol. If looks like if you went with either one, there's an option to add the blades or mulcher to it. It does add weight to the tree slayer which does make a difference when you're on sloped ground or reaching out over the side.
Thanks Doug. Yes I have a cab. No plexi glass. Looking to take overhanging limbs and 2-3 in threes and mostly brush. The dis mulched has a blade option put I thought you had to drop the disc blade and swap it out
Yes, with the disc mulcher you do have to swap them out. I believe with the tree slayer if you get the mulcher option you get a different heavier carrier that has some mulching blades on the bottom of it. I've got the tree slayer on a bobcat e50 with about 20gpm and it easily handles 3"-4" trees.
Doug did you get the mulching teeth with the tree slayer? Now do you have to hold the auxiliary switch or is it an on/off.
I didn't get the Tree Slayer with the mulching teeth because it weighs more and there are a lot of rocks here. On my machine I lock the auxiliary switch on when using it. Don't think you'd want to hold in in manually.