Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

S205 fuel consumption

Andrewm02 ยท 2013-03-23 04:35

Hey everyone, Great site with heaps of info. I am in oz and am looking to start a bobcat and tipper business. I have been doing heaps of research regarding running costs but was hoping someone can help me out with fuel consumption figures for a bobcat S205. I have checked the operators manual and it quotes 12.9 litres per hour. Could someone confirm if this is about right. I understand it depends on what you are doing but this figure seems expensive considering diesel is $1.50 per litre Any help would be appreciated. I'm happy to convert to gallons if that helps. Cheers Andrew

Replies12
  1. #1The Learner2013-03-23 04:42

    just putting the question out there any reason for a s205? do u already own one or are u looking to buy a s205? the slightly less powered by same chassised machine s185 is much more commonly used and would be easier on fuel just wondering also welcome to the forum

  2. #2Bobcatdan2013-03-23 16:06

    Under normal work loads, you should be able to easily run 8-10 hours on a tank. Of course, your milage will vairy. I don't think being down under this will apply to you, but one of my customers said running just over 3/4 throttle while plowing snow, he went from 8 hours to almost 12 hours a tank.

  3. #3Andrewm022013-03-23 17:05

    Thanks for the welcome I haven't ruled out a 185, but most people I have talked to reckon the 205 is the go cause it can lift more such as a pallet of bricks.

  4. #4The Learner2013-03-23 17:49

    thats a fair call http://www.bobcat.eu/bobcat/products/loaders/SSL/S185.page? http://www.bobcat.eu/bobcat/products/loaders/SSL/S205.page? however the lifting capacity is only increased by 75 kg's and the machines total weight is 200 kgs more also being the machines are built on the same chassis the s205 would be a little more prone to wear being heavier and more powerful in a lighter machines chassis

  5. #5dave esterns2013-03-24 00:36

    our s185 will take 1.3-1.4 gallons of fuel an hour doing lighter work at full throttle or near full throttle. i would think 1-2 gallons an hour would cover most of the range...

  6. #6Bobcatdan2013-03-24 19:32

    Besides higher HP, 205 also have added counterweights built into them 175 and 185 don't have.

  7. #7shux2013-03-24 21:07

    Hey Andrew, wide open l reckon you should allow no more than 6 liters per hour. Where in Oz are you?

  8. #8Andrewm022013-03-24 21:55

    Bungendore, just outside Canberra. Those figures sound a lot more reasonable, do you have prior experience with bobcat skid steers?

  9. #9shux2013-03-24 23:08

    Hi Andrew, I run a 763 and 185, rent a t190 for a few weeks when things are wet over here in Minnesota, but l'm from Melbourne actually! When l plow snow I run the 763 flat out for 20-24 hours almost non stop and have figured out l get an hour per gallon out of the 46 hp kubota engine. On another note are you considering using plant hire companies as your main source of work or do you have mates that will need your services? I have a set of Mclaren pro track rubber tracks that I highly recommend for traction and stability for a sensible cost, $3300.

  10. #10Andrewm022013-03-25 06:18

    Hey Shux Thanks for the info, to start with I will probably just be targeting the private market with a view to getting work with local builders. Andrew

  11. #11durallymax2013-03-25 14:03

    Around here there have been a few people dissapointed with the sluggishness of the S205 compared to their S185's. Never owned either, thats just what they have said.

  12. #12Luke Stutz2014-01-21 23:23

    I have had great power, fuel consumption with my s300. Until the engine started knocking last week.