Bridge dept needed a manlift on the other side of a levy.When it went over the side it was one guy in the lift and a big wrecker with the spades dug in to let it down over the side. Job boss got the bill and thought it too high. So when it came time to come back up the levy he devised this deal.An Excavator and a Dozer .Three guys to do the deal.Me and 3 ironheads watching.I don't think he saved a dime.
not safe. it is done all the time. i have done it. we all have done it. not safe.
Spot on Q. I can't even count how many times I've had a dozer with a winch dragging my drill rig up a slope or trail going up a mountain. Sometimes was a little crazy, but got it done.
If the lift was operational under it's own power, why not hook the cable to the dozer and pull it up the hill?:beatsme
Part of its from that the drive motors are destroyed if pulled with out power or over run and they felt they had more control or "feel " for assisting instead of dragging
Was the lift operational? Any dozer hand worth his salt, on a Hystat can adjust the speed to match the lift's speed without dragging it and damaging the drive motors. Or is there more to the story than the pictures show?
less to the operator than can be shown
Yes! Hello. Unsafe, Yes. Have we ever done it, Yes. Bottom line is that we will operate graders with broken and missing mirrors. Why? that is what we are told to do. Right now keeping any sort of employment is critical.
Safe-NO Does it happen-YES Ive dont stupid crap like that althought it doesnt make it safe.
unsafe!!
Job Boss is a idiot. "Hey I've got a great idea, lets scratch the manlift by pushing it with dozer and we'll have an ex precariously balanced up the top to make it all safe" I would have thought the dozer could pull the manlift up that hill by itself, if not tie the ex to the dozer. Did they put old tires between the dozer and manlift?
Safe NO. but i agree with the above on why not tow up the hill with the dozer instead of ramming it to hell. A two way radio would have been more than enough to keep the dozer operator in check.
safe no....but as said we've all done it
the more i look not only is it not safe, but there are 100 ways i would have gone about it before i shoved it up a hill with a dozer.
And if any part of the pulling setup was to break than the manlift could blow the drive seals and free wheel down the hill. Some tires on the dozer blade and pushing is fine with me.
safe i came across TAWKLE and its the safest .
Wow the things you find on the net when you are bored out of your gord. I know I am alotta late posting to this but I had to laugh at some of the goings on an the comments. First off I have seen this on jobs. Not neccesarily exactly the same,you know what I mean. First off you can free wheel those drives on the lift. the newer ones as I do know. when a Hoe (an we ain't talking girlfriend here) is in that position I have found it slides rather well down hills. Don't ask We have all been there. I have had equipment help push me an my crawler up a hill before. I don't like steep hill either but I have done them. I guess I am done for now. Have a great time at work I usually do.
It's totally unsafe, but I don't know why many people take this for granted .
the rigging from the excavator to the lift is good, tied to the lifts chassis, the excavator boom is low enough to prevent tipping of the excavator, the operator is in the platform to steer the lift and has pfpe. My assumption is the torque hubs on the lift are released and the dozer is there for a back-stop in case the lift somehow breaks loose. All this suggests a good, safe pull. But, If the dozer is pushing it up the slope and the excavator is just being used as runaway protection, then it is a VERY dangerous maneuver. Pushing against the counterweight of a lift will not only damage the counterweight casting but will also inflict unseen (until way too late) damage to the turntable rotation bearing. Also, there is a very likely chance that the turntable rotate counterbalance valves and brake will give way and the operator will be given the ride of his life all the way to his death when the turntable spins around at the speed of a centrifuge!
Amen, couldn't have said it better my friend!
The most irresponsible part of thewe'vealldonethisbefore move is having a man in the snorkel platform. Any boom movement/steering could be operated at the ground controls in the side panel. If something goes wrong the man has a better chance getting out of the way. In the lift he is at the mercy of whatever may come. When a risky move has to be made minimize the loss to machinery, not lives. Be safe. Be smart. Ciao.