Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Safely hauling a skid steer

jakegsxr11 ยท 2015-03-31 21:09

Hi, I recently purchased a bobcat 843 skid steer it weighs 6500#. I've never towed anything over a couple thousand and need to know how to safely do it. I'll be using my 2002 duramax 3/4 ton truck and renting a bumper trailer (not sure on length or weight yet but the local rental store uses it to tow their mini excevator). I have a gooseneck hitch but cannot find a gooseneck trailer to rent. I also have a brake controller installed in the truck. I would appreciate advice about how to load/balance the trailer properly, how to set the brake controller, what hitch receiver i should purchase and any other tips you can think of. I did try to search the subject but didn't find many relevant results. Thanks in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1monster762015-03-31 22:12

    I set my brake controller by going to 0 then bringingit up as i do a couple test atop until its stops with out locking up tires or jerking the truck when you barely touch the brakes

  2. #2Canadian_digger2015-04-01 18:28

    You want to have around 10-15% of the the total weight on the tong of the trailer for bumper pull type hitch.

  3. #3apetad2015-04-02 11:41

    A gooseneck trailer sure would make that load handle great.