New rule came out last year requiring Highly Visible work clothes on Federal job. Effective 11-24-08
Step in the right direction. Good that there are choices as to what type of high vis clothing you can wear. What type would depend on the company your working for most likely.
I am quite suprised that it is only just becoming a legal requirement to wear hi-vis clothing on your road/highway works. It has been a requirement for a long time over here, although its only in the last 5 or so years that I have become aware of the need for long sleeved tops with arm banding on highway projects, we got away with short sleeve bibs for a long time. Away from live traffic they are still acceptable, just Re read, :Banghead what has changed is an update to the specification. Be aware that your ( USA) spec is NOT the same as the European EN471 spec that we use here. Very similar but apparently not the same :bash Some might find this intresting. It gives you guidance on the risk classifications http://www.westernstatestool.com/assets/PDF Files/Vest_ANSIExplainer_021306.pdf
Atlas, it would be way too logical to use the same specs as other countries. US has had a requirement for high vis. for many years fulfilled by orange or green vests. Four different classes of vests depending on how far from a road you're working and how fast the traffic is - in other words just ridiculous.
The reason we now have to have long sleeves while on roadworks is that some one in Brussels decided that if we were carrying something it would block the reflective bands on the torso and may put us in danger so now the long sleeves with additional bands. Stock
http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/Scotch-Lite/Home/RegInfo/PerformanceStandards/EN471/ some more info on our site apperal or what I like to wear while working, http://www.snickersclothing.co.uk/acatalog/High_Visibility_Range.html Stock
I hire some temp. guys in the winter for snow. Most of them are in a class 3 which here is a vest with short sleeves. It's amazing how much better they show up at night with the stripe on the short sleeve.
I'm all for the hi vis vests, we wear them, not only is it safer but it lets your customer know you are safety consious
We have been getting around looking like stunned Canaries for about 5 years now . The long sleeves here are to protect the skin from UV rays . We also get a tax incentive to wear protective sunglasses on the jobsite to protect the eyes against flying debris and also UV light . Full wrapping in Cotton wool is next .
Safety clothes work great on the job so you don't get ran over but I hate going to lunch with them on you look like an inmate from jail :-(
Rob, safety vests have long been required here for roadwork and other situations demanding high visability. I believe I started having to wear them here in the late seventies on asphalt spreads. The fact that workers now have to suit up even more is due perhaps to increased population and traffic density, but also to government do-gooders and insurance industry types forcing it down the throats of everyone working outside or underground.
It always makes me chuckle to see guys walking around the supermarket with the gear still on, but then realise that in the short break they have for lunch it is inpractical to get to the cabin, get changed, get to the store and back again and get changed again ready for work ..... Yes, sorry for the confusion, I opened my mouth and started typing before the brain had digested the information that my eyes had read but a few of you will be used to that from me by now. I will add that I think the hi-vis gear has advanced in recent years with a lot more clothing and better specification available to cater for the differing enviroments and conditions we operate in which can only be a good thing. What upsets and annoys me is the guys who dont take care of the gear that is supplied to them :Banghead
Or worse - having to pick something up quickly at a Lowe's or HDepot and being mistaken for an employee!
Is that one of those "don't ask me how I know" events? I'm getting a good mental picture here. :lmao
interesting!!!!:drinkup
just started working for a county road crew and we have to wear them anytime we are out of a truck/equipment. been on closed job sites as in no traffic at all and we still are required to have them on. after awhile it gets to be habit forming that you have them on you forget and walk in a store after work with them on. and as soon as they get dirty/fadded just ask and you get a new one. i am liking the new green stuff but we do not do night work so we do not get that stuff.
Yeah, this website: http://www.totalprotectionuk.com features a lot of great safety equipment!
We are required to wear it.Most of my guys wear the company issued vests with our logo printed on the back.I hate them as they hang up on the door latch studs on a Car blade. I wear the fluorescent orange shirts made by Wolverine as they dont snag on things and are pretty comfortable in the 100 plus degree heat here in Texas at this time of year.
Its been about a year ago they passed a law around here, if you are in the public ROW working (which includes treelawns and sidewalks) you must either have a puke green hi-vis shirt, orange shirt, or vest. It has already saved numerous lives.