Hello All, We have a Sakai SV70 D Compactor, its been a great machine, this last year it decided to retire. Finally got some time to tear into it and it looks like the planetary drive gear on the drum decided to eat itself. I am looking for parts but it appears they are pretty non-existent. Thought I'd check here in case someone just had one in there back yard! haha. If we cant find any I suppose we are going to put it back together and just have a rear wheel drive machine! Enjoy the pictures
It has been a great machine. Duetz air cooled motor
Looks like a differential planetary like was used in Hyster rollers and Dash 3 Komatsu excavators. Did the planet carrier have double gears in one carrier?
Yes, it appears one of the shims dropped out of place and created just a little bit of back and forth play. The rest is history! I called all over and pretty much got laughed at. Didn't contact Sakai directly as the machine isnt worth the cost of a new planetary. We ended up cleaning the case out, reinstalling and blanking out the hydraulic motor. It is now rear wheel drive only, was happy we were able to do something with it and not have to completely scrap it!
That's what I've seen as well. The thrust washers keep the teeth on the planet gears in line and from touching the next set. When they get thin and the gear teeth start hitting on the next ring gear and start making chunks.