Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Salt Water Chevy oil specifications

Truck Shop · 2021-09-07 12:55

I post this because of questions about multi-grade in a 2 stroke.

Replies12
  1. #1Bluox2021-09-07 15:51

    What's the date on that book? The reason I ask is DD has been back and forth on 15-40 for years. I have a couple of customers that have used it for years with no ill effects. Bob

  2. #2Coaldust2021-09-07 16:31

    That’s cool. I remember sitting at a round table at the 1991 Vehicle Maintenance Management Conference at the University of Washington when Detroit made the announcement that 15w-40 was GTG. Lol. Side note: It’s particularly difficult to even find a CF-2 40wt today. Especially with the supply chain issues in the lube biz.

  3. #3Truck Shop2021-09-07 19:28

    Manual date 2002. Which in my book is close enough I seriously doubt that specification has changed. Detroit knows 30 and 40 is hard to come by.

  4. #4kshansen2021-09-07 19:49

    My 1997 Detroit lube manual says that 15W-40 is only to be used if needed to be able to start engine and that you should replace with the straight SAE40 as soon as ambient conditions permit. It goes on to say that you should not use multigrade or SAE30 in two-cycle marine engines under any circumstances. Same for Series 149 engines.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-09-07 20:09

    Well we have a conflict -lets flip a coin . It's only a two stroke so not much loss.

  6. #6Coaldust2021-09-07 20:33

    The most current update on 2-stroke lubrications is from 2007- DDC Publication 7SE270 0102, “Lubricating Oils, Filters, and Fuels”.

  7. #7Coaldust2021-09-07 20:51
  8. #8Truck Shop2021-09-07 21:09

    Damn you ruined all the fun, hell I was hoping this would turn into a thread like what's the best oil for my motorcycle! Besides it's always fun to see a two stroke blubbering oil. But what's good about this is it shows the problems with factory manuals. But you will notice what I posted is for on highway/vehicle not tug boats and locomotives.

  9. #9Bluox2021-09-07 21:26

    If you want a eye opener look at the oil change intervals on the next page in section 13.3. Bob

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-09-07 21:44

    What I like is Coaldust page figure 2,2- #2 LMOA-Locomotive Maintenance Officers' Association-I thought that was suppose to be- LMAO-laughing my *** off.

  11. #11Coaldust2021-09-07 21:53

    Reason I had that document handy is for when a customer calls and wants to know what oil to purchase. It’s a nice CYA. Chevron Delo 100 40wt is one of the few products available.

  12. #12Coaldust2021-09-07 21:55

    That is pretty funny.