Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sanny vs Kobelco

southshon · 2023-12-24 12:02

I currently have a bobcat E145. It is a 16 ton machine. It is actually a good strong machine. The issue is that bobcat has no idea how to work on these machines nor do they have the facility or equipment to do the job. I am trading out while I have warranty remaining. I am looking at either Sanny 155u or Kobelco 140. They are pretty much both in the same price range but Sanny has 5 year, 5,000 hour warranty while the Kobelco comes with a 4 year, 4,000 hour warranty. I have not ran either brands myself but other contractors I know have Kobelco and it seems to be a workhorse brand with not much issues. Sanny is pretty much a unknown to me. I know many people bash them but I don't care about opinions. I am looking for owners to know if you feel that Sanny is a good investment and the additional warranty is worth it or if it is a cheap junk machine. Please do not post personal opinions about brands. I am searching for professional advice from other owners. Thank you.

Replies25
  1. #1CM19952023-12-24 12:16

    Welcome to the Forums southshon. Well you are going to get a lot of personal opinions on a machine and/or brand since this is a heavy equipment discussion forum. That being said I steer clear from Sany as I think they are cheap chinese machines that are not of the quality of other mostly Japanese made machines. I'd go Kobelco over a Sany any day of the week. What does Sany's 5 year 5K hour warranty cover? We just bought a Next Gen 325 with a 5 yr, 5K hour warranty that covers powertrain, hydraulics and tech.

  2. #2southshon2023-12-24 12:20

    From what the local Sanny dealer tells me, it is a full warranty. It is expected to cover pretty much everything. I will dig into it before any decision is made.

  3. #3southshon2023-12-24 12:33

    I have had cat machines in the past when my focus was commercial construction and I was putting lots of hours on a machine each year. Cat was worth the investment then. Now, at this point in my career, I don't deal with commercial anymore. I spend all of my time installing fiberglass pools. I only put a few hundred hours on an excavator in a year so the fact is, I need a workhorse that will be there when I need it much more than a machine that can take 12,000 hours easily. I will be retired before my next excavator sees 3,000 hours. If Sanny is a company that will stand behind the warranty and if it is reliable then it may be an option, however, if not, then Kobelco will be the choice.

  4. #4Tags2023-12-24 12:39

    I would go Kobelco. Especially if the dealer in your area has a good reputation. I’ve had a Kobelco 115SRDZ with a long stick and an extra counter weight since about 04’. Has roughly 6000 hours on it now and besides hoses, the grease seal around the slew ring, and a hydraulic solenoid it has been a great machine. I have used with a hammer and for anything related to excavation work. I replaced the bushings on the end of the stick right around 5000hrs, had a little more than I was happy with, but was nowhere near whooped. The 145 replaced the 115 and the 135. They were essentially the same machine, only differences were the 135 had a longer undercarriage with 2 rollers, no blade, and a longer stick. 115 had the blade, shorter undercarriage, and a shorter stick.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-12-24 17:33

    Sany aren't too popular in N America yet but warranty is only as good as the dealer and factory back up for parts. A 10 year 10,000 hour warranty is useless if the dealer doesn't have the training or experience to work on it or the parts. Kobelco is a more established brand and worth a few extra $$$.

  6. #6MG842023-12-24 20:13

    You’re probably not going to find much love for Sany on here. A lot of people object to doing business with a Chinese company, myself included.

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-12-25 03:17

    Unfortunately even big names like Cat have equipment coming out of China. It's impossible to avoid anything from China.

  8. #8LACHAU2023-12-25 05:39

    My friend! You need to clearly distinguish between American-brand machines made in China and Chinese-brand machines. American brand machines made in China are designed and, importantly, monitored to ensure quality throughout the manufacturing process according to genuine American standards. As for Chinese-branded machines, quality supervision during the production process is according to the Chinese company's standards. The policies and strategies in ensuring product quality of American brands (Japan, European countries) and Chinese brands are very different. The same thing happens with after-sales service. We have been very disappointed with the after-sales service of construction machinery manufacturers from China (Sany; Zoomlion, XCMG...)

  9. #9Vetech632023-12-25 08:26

    This one is super easy............KOBELCO!

  10. #10kp1002023-12-25 09:20

    I'm impressed that Kobelco is price competitive with Sany. Cat even beat Kobleco in my last purchase. I would Definity go Kobelco if you have a sound dealer and price is close. Usually Sany is 20 percent cheaper.

  11. #11crane operator2023-12-25 09:27

    We had a Sany dealer show up here in town, mostly renting out the machines, trying to get buyers. He's already gone, I don't know of any buyers. The two guys I know that were renting them (both dirt contractors needing a extra machine for a job), both weren't interested in purchasing. Both commented to me that- they weren't as good as they looked and just not a great machine. The Sany stuff I've been around in the crane world- they are cheap to buy new, and the resale value nosedives- its twice to three times as bad as any other brand. So for a DIY homeowner, that doesn't plan to sell it, and doesn't care if its down for a while waiting for parts, and just wants the cheapest price for a new machine- Sany is probably your ticket. I'd get the Kobelco.

  12. #12WRS_Mark2023-12-25 10:18

    Really, it comes down to the dealer. The company I managed earthworks and asphalt and concrete removals for bought several Sanys between the 50 and 155 after on site testing the units. They don't have the refinement or speed of a Cat or Hitachi (you notice the little things they missed, like that little bit of extra window visibility on the track side at the front), but they get the work done and the local dealer support has been excellent. Merry Christmas, by the way!

  13. #13KSSS2023-12-25 12:05

    I have never run a Sany. Even considering if both brands stood on the same ground (as in standing in the industry), which they don't at least here in NA. The Kobelco 140 is just an impressive machine. They are fast and smooth, ergonomically well thought out in the cab. I would bet that Kobelco would extend their warranty, if you told them that it was difference between choosing which excavator to buy. Resale will for sure favor the Kobelco. Run them both, I feel very confident that you would want to own the 140.

  14. #14southshon2023-12-25 14:01

    The reactions are spot on from what I figured. Sanny is too much of an unknown to try when Kobelco is competitive on price. I guess I knew the answer in the beginning but just wanted to confirm with others.

  15. #15skyking12023-12-25 14:33

    Merry Christmas and glad the fellows above could help. What I would say echoes much of it. If you can find a service truck with a Sany logo on it within an hour of your work area, then consider that. I have never seen one out west in my travels. That is the bottom line, what happens after you bring it home.

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-12-26 00:21

    I'm fully aware that made in China can be a very broad range of quality and quality control. My comment was in regards to the post above it not wanting to support a company or products coming from China. Every major manufacturer whether it's equipment or tools and pretty much anything else has stuff built in China. It's pretty much impossible to not support a company that sources at least some of their products or parts from China. Quality control doesn't change that.

  17. #17MG842023-12-26 06:57

    I agree there is no getting away from it completely, but buying large, durable goods, “made in China” is where I draw the line. That would include from a Chinese company like Sany, or particular models being imported from China, such as the Cat 307 excavators amongst others. My views on this are just as much moral and political as they are quality related.

  18. #18Welder Dave2023-12-26 16:55

    What's worse, buying a Chinese product from a Chinese company knowing full well it's Chinese or buying a Chinese sourced product from a N American company at a premium price (as if it were made in N America) that doesn't advertise that it's made in China? A good example is vice grips. They didn't come down in price when production was moved to China and they aren't as good as the original yet state they are the original on the packaging. I think it's a pretty slippery slope as far as false advertising.

  19. #19Shimmy12023-12-26 18:46

    Hey!!!! Sounds just like the Doosan junk that Bobcat is selling.

  20. #20CM19952023-12-26 19:49

    LOL - Which one is junkier the Doosan or the Bobcat? Different color paint on the same turd IMO.

  21. #21Shimmy12023-12-26 19:59

    You get out of here with your aversion to Bobcat*****

  22. #22mowingman2023-12-26 20:15

    When did Doosan turn to junk? Just wondering, as my son-in-law bought a Doosan excavator, (about 35,000 lb.) as I recall, 10 years ago. It was used then, and he has had almost no problems with the machine in the 10 years he has owned it. Downtime has been minimal.

  23. #23Shimmy12023-12-26 21:26

    How many hours has he put on it?

  24. #24631G2023-12-26 21:32

    The local dealer here around north Georgia for Sany is Central Atlanta Tractor. They’ve been moving them too.We rented a 210 with a hammer and it seemed like a good machine to me. Now it was also brand new. I see them all over the place. I’ve rented a crusher from Central Atlanta a few times now and asked their field mechanic what he thought of them and he was generally positive about the machine. He was no more a fan of the origin of the machine than the next guy, but said they’re solid machines in his experience with them. I do agree that parts and dealer support are the difference maker with warranty so maybe that’s the case here. But I do know this mechanic and his father did or does run the shop there and they both are very experienced and well rounded mechanics who’ve seen a lot in their time. The only draw back I was told of was heavy DEF usage and not as good a fuel burn rate vs the other main brands like Kobelco, Komatsu Cat and Deere. There are mostly all powered by Cummins engines and run Kawasaki pumps if I recall correctly. So parts should be pretty available. They are also starting to rival Cat and Komatsu in quantity of machines built and sold around the world. I’d bet that Cat has some dealings with them. They’re making their big hoes there now. Pretty sure every 390 size machine is being build there and shipped here for example. It’s just how things are now.

  25. #25mowingman2023-12-26 22:18

    Used an average of 1000 hrs/year. The last 2 years probably a lot less, as his scope of work has changed somewhat. I find it kind of interesting that he bought this used, after it had been sunk in a local lake , dried out, and rebuilt as needed. He was just starting his business, the price was right, so he took a chance. It has worked out well. Made him a lot of money. I am sure it is not worth much today, at least not as much as a 12 or 14 year old Cat or Deere machine might be. But, it has been dependable.